User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DUI

Okay, so I had my CDL and drove for Trans Am and then left there to pursue another local non-driving job. About six months later I received a DUI. I know, I know I know very dumb and not something that I will ever live down. I do not get my CDL back until Jan of next year. In all reality if I intended on returning to the road am I really looking at 5+ years before any company will take me? What would be the right course of action between now and then if I did intend on returning to an OTR job? I have a good job (insurance industry) but the cubicle life tires me at times and I want to return to the open road but figure that I am pretty much screwed right now! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 AM

You may be able to get a driving job much sooner then 5 years, but it wont be with an "A" company for sure.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 AM

Do you consider Trans Am an "A" company? If that is possible then that would be good news!

I live here in Omaha so Werner in our book is an "A" company! =)
Old 05-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by omapilot
I am pretty much screwed right now!
if you aren't right now, you will be by the companies that will take you,
Quote:
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
walk home next time. ,

Oh keep looking someone will give you a chance, just hope, they don't use you because of your circumstances. Watch out for that, and stay way from bottom feeder companies, the cubicle will look like a vacation in Hawaii in comparision.

TW

you did say any advice, so there ya go. 8)
Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 AM

Yes, the cab ride or the call to the wife or the walk or anything would of been the best option and that is something that I will regret forever!

I agree sometimes the "cube" is not that bad, but if you would rather be somewhere else the walls are pretty tiring for sure!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

With a DUI on your record and the number of good, long time, drivers (companies closeing the door) on the market don't hold your breath. Even the small Mom and Pop's are going out of the market for a driver with a DUI as the insurace won't accept them and then what do you do with a real good paying load that goes into Canada ?
Last years I wanted to take 3 months off and found a driver to fill in, went thru three of them before insurance would accept one, one was 17 years ago.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:12 AM

Yes you are right I cannot kill anyone there, but I am a claims manager for a large life insurance company. I have seen it all and know it all as far as the risks go. So I understand completely what I have done. I am also a Private Pilot and have consequences on that end too!

I know that it will be a tough road and I am probably not going to find anything that would closely resemble what I had had before that day. It was a good feeling to not have ANYTHING on my record for ANY violation. But, you know sometimes you get complacent and fall down..
Old 05-25-2008, 01:51 AM

So I guess that I did not ask one question with this. I see on the profiles for the carriers that it is a 5 year window for a dui. Is that strictly enforced or is that something that can change? I know that insurance has allot to do with that so just wondering.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Stick with the cubicle life...... at least you cannot kill anyone there.....

There is no room in this industry for people who have received a DUI, especially those having a CDL....

you know, this kind of answer just bugs me a bit. Yeah, a DUI sucks and is a mistake, which the poster already recognizes. But, something like this that happened on his own time in a personal vehicle and completely away from the job doesnt at all reflect on his professional life.There are a ton of CDL drivers out on the road that are completely useless in their personal life(not calling the poster useless, just making a point.) that just cant get anything right but are great at being truck drivers. To simply dismiss someone and say they are just complete losers and have no business in the industry because of one mistake in their outside life is just ridiculous and something a self righteous person says because they think they are the best on the road and are free from ever screwing up at any level.YEah, making this mistake definitely has an impact on driving career choices but to just completely say he has no business in the industry at all is just way off. If this was something that happened on the job in his truck, then yeah, he has no business being out there, but thats not the case, this guy was probably a very professional responsible guy when doing his job and what he did in his personal life as a one time mistake is far from meaning he has no business in the industry.There are drivers with sleeping dis orders and heart problems that pose more of a threat to the general public in a truck than a one time DUI offender in his spare time in his personal vehicle. Every story and incident has 2 sides and you cant just put a broad generalization on every single thing like that........now waiting for the witty I know more than you do I own my own trucking business and you are dumb Big D response.