User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Info wanted on End Dump Trl drivers

Got a call on a job about 35 miles from here and planning to go and check it out on monday, The guy said it was a small company running about 10 trucks, Pays by the load and I should expect to be out 1 to 2 days at a time and home all weekends. Pay expected is 750 to 1000 a week.

I searched youtube and it seems the trailers are only 38 feet long, Should make parking and all that less hassle. I'm really considering taking this job. Question is whats the typical load weight and do you have to scale still? What would be considered a good pay by the load percentage? Am I crazy going with a really small company? What should I look out for?

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply. I'm hoping this is the job for me.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Board Regular

I work for a company in florida that hauls end dumps, walking floors and other sorts of specialized trailers. I'm on a local run and gross 750-800 weekly, which i don't think is bad money, but everyone has their own opinions. As far as the axles and scaling go, those trailers are fixed axle trailers so you won't have to worry about that, but expect to haul loads right at the maximum, since most of your pay will be based on the amount of tonnage you are hauling. Personally, i like this type of work because it's not the same old thing day in and day out, you get to see some neat places, and typically these companies run nice equipment. I'm not telling you what to do, but i think it sounds like it's atleast worth a shot, a few nights out a week, and still a good pay check is not a bad deal.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Board Regular

As millersod said, you will probably be close to maxed out on weight almost all the time. I'm not sure who you drive for now, but benefits might cost you alot more at a small outfit. I was hit by this really hard this year. The amount taken out of my check when from $80/month to $200/month this year. This may or may not be a factor for you, just something to consider.

Doesn't sound like a bad job, and to tell you the truth, i'd jump on it if I could find something like that here.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 AM

I’d talk to some of the other drivers at that company and see what they really make, some of these percentage companies don’t pay very well, I spoke with several and the owners finally gave me a straight answer when pressed, “you should see about 25-30 grand per year” thanks for your time…click.
Right now I’m pulling belly dumps, 20 bucks per hour minimum, plus OT after 40, I just got on a “federal job” that boosted my pay significantly; average gross pay will be about $1500 per week (50-60 hours)
Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
I’d talk to some of the other drivers at that company and see what they really make, some of these percentage companies don’t pay very well, I spoke with several and the owners finally gave me a straight answer when pressed, “you should see about 25-30 grand per year” thanks for your time…click.
Right now I’m pulling belly dumps, 20 bucks per hour minimum, plus OT after 40, I just got on a “federal job” that boosted my pay significantly; average gross pay will be about $1500 per week (50-60 hours)
That would be nice being on hourly pay, the pay per load is iffy to me. I'd feel like I was doing alot of free driving?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Rookie

I did a dump trailer gig for about a year.

It was a small local company with ~50 trucks.
I was home every night and weekends, but the days were long - around 14 hours a day.

The pay was percentage of load - 25% - made about what you said you would be making.

What others have said, expect to be running 80K all the time.

All in all, not a bad job, but if you have never dumped a dump trailer before, make sure you get good training. These trailers will tip over so easily if you are not completely level, and if your load is offset to one side. I've seen one go over, and it is not a pretty site!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Rookie

I drive end dumps, our tractors have fixed 5th wheels, tandems dont slide on trailers. Our trailers are 39' long. I haul mostly coal and yes you have to scale out your loads. Your weights are based on where the product is in your trailer. The way we move the coal if we are too heavy on the drive tires is to hammer the gas in reverse and stab the brakes, if your heavy on the trailer axles you hammer the gas forward in first gear and stab the brakes. yes they are much easier to park. I am never less than 80k and Im paid 27% of the load. I work 8 to 10 hours a day with weekends off.