User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What is the best way to start out?

as a team with an extra set of eyes(if they are not sleeping), or as a solo and take your lumps wit experience?T me it would be to team up with an experienced driver as long as possible watch , listen , and LEARN!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Default Re: What is the best way to start out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalu
as a team with an extra set of eyes(if they are not sleeping), or as a solo and take your lumps wit experience?T me it would be to team up with an experienced driver as long as possible watch , listen , and LEARN!
That would be ideal. Can you sleep in a loud, moving vehicle? Have a good amount of patience? I was all about team until thinking about the sleeping part. I need mah ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Probably right in most cases, but it all depends on the individual. I have trained drivers that, no matter how long they spent with someone, they weren't going to have a good career. I have had others that just had the right mentality and aptitude to go on their own after a few weeks and did really well.

You got the right idea though. The key is to look, listen, and learn. Ask if you don't know. An inexperienced driver can always get a more seasoned driver to help out. The biggest downfall I have seen is a new driver trying to impress others that he/she has been at this game longer than they have really, and then they don't want to ask a simple question and learn the right way to do something. Most seasoned drivers will be more than happy to help out a new driver.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM

I'd say it depends on the person. For me it's take the lumps. I think the company has a lot to do with it too. I've only been driving a few months but I'm fortunate that my company is letting me progress at my own pace. They have done a great job of not putting pressure on me and allowing time for mistakes but not leaving me sitting waiting for a load.

I imagine lots of new drivers make really stupid mistakes due to feeling the pressure of tight schedules that don't allow for mistakes. On day one they told me the first few months would be a learning experience for both sides while I got my footing and while they learned my abilities and that we would work together with any issues.

I haven't run into any major problems but it's really nice knowing they won't rip my head off if I get lost or whatever.

For me this has worked great but I know many would probably like having the experienced driver right there, though with cell phones and a good team back at the terminal I don't see the need.