User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which is better with the current economy??

I have my choices narrowed down to a few companies that I can honestly see myself staying at for at least a year.

WH Transportation OTR Flatbed - 1st choice I would rather pull a flatbed variety of freight a little better starting pay for a newbie. Starting pay is .325 with raises every other month for the first year. At years end I should be able to hit .38 plus .035 per mile for bonus money.

WEL Industries - OTR Reefer - I dont really like the reefer idea too much and they only haul reefer products 100%. But people will always need food, produce etc. Pay is comparable to start but the pay picks up at 50k miles start at .30 - 50k miles .35 and at 125k miles .41 plus fuel bonus, safety etc. Although there is a non company match 401k whick is pretty lame.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Which is better with the current economy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF RIVER
I have my choices narrowed down to a few companies that I can honestly see myself staying at for at least a year.

WH Transportation OTR Flatbed - 1st choice I would rather pull a flatbed variety of freight a little better starting pay for a newbie. Starting pay is .325 with raises every other month for the first year. At years end I should be able to hit .38 plus .035 per mile for bonus money.

WEL Industries - OTR Reefer - I dont really like the reefer idea too much and they only haul reefer products 100%. But people will always need food, produce etc. Pay is comparable to start but the pay picks up at 50k miles start at .30 - 50k miles .35 and at 125k miles .41 plus fuel bonus, safety etc. Although there is a non company match 401k whick is pretty lame.
If you want diversity and a chance to stay in better physical shape - flatbed may be the way to go. Looks like they have a decent pay structure for a newbie! Have no idea about the outfit though, have not heard of them! 90% of the time, when you get to a delivery point, the product is off the trailer in no time, as they are usually waiting for it! Lumber miles and stores are the only real problems there, but even on a slow day, they are many times quicker than a food warehouse! On the rough side - tarping a load in 40 mph winds, 40 and under degrees and raining can make for a rough day, but those only come occasionally depending on the territory you run!

Reefer, while not all that bad, has allot of sit and wait, and can play havoc with miles driven in a given week, but the next week could rock and roll. Kinda play the cost averaging game with that one! The big pain with reefer is the food warehouses that take their own sweet time loading/unloading!

Good luck!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM

You may not like this suggestion, but I'll throw it out there anyway. SWIFT's flatbed divisions pay rate starts out more than the other companies that you mentioned. Despite what some people say, SWIFT isn't a bad company to work for at all in my opinion.

I'm gonna go put on my flame suit now and prepare to get flamed by the SWIFT haters.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030
You may not like this suggestion, but I'll throw it out there anyway. SWIFT's flatbed divisions pay rate starts out more than the other companies that you mentioned. Despite what some people say, SWIFT isn't a bad company to work for at all in my opinion.

I'm gonna go put on my flame suit now and prepare to get flamed by the SWIFT haters.

Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Board Member

carlos wrote:
Quote:
Why does Superman need a flame suit....unless the "S" stands for Swift.
:lol: :P
Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030

Be a little conservative with that for I may need it in the near future.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
carlos wrote:
Quote:
Why does Superman need a flame suit....unless the "S" stands for Swift.
:lol: :P

Good point.