User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah, fixing a leak on the intercooler hose is even easier than fixing a coolant hose (radiator hose) leak - simply because you've got no coolant to deal with ... and it's the same basic procedure to do.

Other things that can cause slow issues are fuel filters, or full water separators.

Hope some of those suggestions help.

as for not blowing out the filters - those sweepers should have good snorkels on them that help keep the dust in the filters to a minimum, so just monitor the restriction on the filters, and replace them when necessary.

Preventative Maintenance should be followed very strictly on these sweepers.

--Dave.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromColorado
Yeah, fixing a leak on the intercooler hose is even easier than fixing a coolant hose (radiator hose) leak - simply because you've got no coolant to deal with ... and it's the same basic procedure to do.

Other things that can cause slow issues are fuel filters, or full water separators.

as for not blowing out the filters - those sweepers should have good snorkels on them that help keep the dust in the filters to a minimum, so just monitor the restriction on the filters, and replace them when necessary.

--Dave.
Every 250 hours on the back engine, the entire machine gets serviced, so the filters get replaced then. However, they'll usually need blowing out every 1 or 2 weeks, otherwise there's a risk of them running hot.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
Quote:

--Dave.
Every 250 hours on the back engine, the entire machine gets serviced, so the filters get replaced then. However, they'll usually need blowing out every 1 or 2 weeks, otherwise there's a risk of them running hot.
Cost of an air filter: $50.00 +-.

Cost of an engine overhaul: $7500.00 +.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just put in a new filter when necessary?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhit
Those street sweepers make alot of dust, make sure that the air filters are cleaned or blown out. Diesel engines need to breathe. I don't know if that's the problem but it can't hurt.
I blow them out once a week, and I also spray the radiators out with a water hose (I've heard it's not good to blow out radiators but I don't know if it's true or not).

There'll be some dust that comes out of the filter when I blow it, but by the time I get done, there's hardly any that comes out at all.
Heres a little refresher course for all you "Air Filter Blowers" out there.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ght=air+filter

Quote:
Air filter maintenance is also sometimes misunderstood. Filtration experts all describe their worst nightmare: a guy pulling a primary filter off an engine, knocking it on a fender to loosen up the dust – or blowing it out with an air compressor – and then re-installing it. Although not uncommon, this practice is guaranteed to send that engine to the rebuild shop much earlier than necessary. Knocking dust out of a filter or blowing it out with compressed air immediately allows dust to accumulate on the clean side of the filter. And blowing compressed air onto a filter may remove a lot of dust but it also forces some dust more tightly into the fabric of your filter media, thus increasing your restriction.
If I'm not supposed to blow out the air filters, then what should I do? :?: :?: :?:
Put in a NEW air filter.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM

don't forget to blow out your radiators too ...

Plugged filters shouldn't cause the machine to run too much hotter - but like those guys are saying, if you start to blow out the filters, and basically force that dirt through the filter, it can get into the turbocharger and wreck that, plus when it gets into the engine itself you'll cause all sorts of severe wear.

Anyhow, when you get a chance, run that thing out on the highway, with fresh oil, fresh filters (air, AND fuel) and make sure the tires are properly inflated, and that you're completely empty (no water, empty hopper) ... and give 'er hell.

I discovered last night (in a 70mph zone) that the top speed of the Elgin Eagle is 74 1/2 mph. I kept her there for about 4 miles or so, and after that, she just "felt" more peppy. That's probably all in my head, but still - this conversation came to mind after that.

One other thing to check, that may have been overlooked - if it's got a two-speed rear end, make sure it's not in Lo - in Lo, the eagle won't top 50mph.

New Filters are ALWAYS cheaper than new engines. If you've ever used a K&N air filter for your car, you'd see in the cleaning instructions it tells you to use low-pressure water to wash the filter, that's because the high-pressure water, and/or air will push the dirt through to the wrong side of the filter.

--Dave.

... this gives me an idea - I wonder if I could design an oil-bath air filter setup for these sweepers - that'd be sweet, and way more effective.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhit
Those street sweepers make alot of dust, make sure that the air filters are cleaned or blown out. Diesel engines need to breathe. I don't know if that's the problem but it can't hurt.
I blow them out once a week, and I also spray the radiators out with a water hose (I've heard it's not good to blow out radiators but I don't know if it's true or not).

There'll be some dust that comes out of the filter when I blow it, but by the time I get done, there's hardly any that comes out at all.
Heres a little refresher course for all you "Air Filter Blowers" out there.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ght=air+filter

Quote:
Air filter maintenance is also sometimes misunderstood. Filtration experts all describe their worst nightmare: a guy pulling a primary filter off an engine, knocking it on a fender to loosen up the dust – or blowing it out with an air compressor – and then re-installing it. Although not uncommon, this practice is guaranteed to send that engine to the rebuild shop much earlier than necessary. Knocking dust out of a filter or blowing it out with compressed air immediately allows dust to accumulate on the clean side of the filter. And blowing compressed air onto a filter may remove a lot of dust but it also forces some dust more tightly into the fabric of your filter media, thus increasing your restriction.
If I'm not supposed to blow out the air filters, then what should I do? :?: :?: :?:
Put in a NEW air filter.
Put in a new air filter every week? Not a chance they'd ever do that. :?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
don't forget to blow out your radiators too ...

Plugged filters shouldn't cause the machine to run too much hotter - but like those guys are saying, if you start to blow out the filters, and basically force that dirt through the filter, it can get into the turbocharger and wreck that, plus when it gets into the engine itself you'll cause all sorts of severe wear.

Anyhow, when you get a chance, run that thing out on the highway, with fresh oil, fresh filters (air, AND fuel) and make sure the tires are properly inflated, and that you're completely empty (no water, empty hopper) ... and give 'er hell.

I discovered last night (in a 70mph zone) that the top speed of the Elgin Eagle is 74 1/2 mph. I kept her there for about 4 miles or so, and after that, she just "felt" more peppy. That's probably all in my head, but still - this conversation came to mind after that.

One other thing to check, that may have been overlooked - if it's got a two-speed rear end, make sure it's not in Lo - in Lo, the eagle won't top 50mph.

New Filters are ALWAYS cheaper than new engines. If you've ever used a K&N air filter for your car, you'd see in the cleaning instructions it tells you to use low-pressure water to wash the filter, that's because the high-pressure water, and/or air will push the dirt through to the wrong side of the filter.

--Dave.

... this gives me an idea - I wonder if I could design an oil-bath air filter setup for these sweepers - that'd be sweet, and way more effective.
They actually have us run out on the interstate once a week (thank God). They only recently started doing that, which is probably what happened to that Sterling.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Ahhhh, you will find you are twenty years behind the times, they thru out oil bath filters about that long ago because they didn't work. Leave it alone and change it on regular maintinance or ig the little popper sais it need it
Old 05-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Ahhhh, you will find you are twenty years behind the times, they thru out oil bath filters about that long ago because they didn't work. Leave it alone and change it on regular maintinance or ig the little popper sais it need it
The oil bath idea was more of a joke - I'd been driving an older 8n tractor and changed the oil in the oil-bath filter, so it was fresh on my mind.

--Dave.