User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Jeez Young Z.W. take it easy!

We are all truckers and we all choose which part of the field we go into. All I am saying is that if I were a long haul trucker and was told thank you for your spending a lot of time on the road so I can do my linehaul/local runs and be home every night, I'd take offense! Being OTR is very hard on marriages and family life and I know that personally because I have been recommended by an OTR trucker in my family to stay at home. My friend CFM has offered me valueable advice concerning the industry and people can learn a lot from him.

To the OP, I think an OTR trucker can be defined as anyone who stays out more than 1 night at a time, has to sleep in the truck, and keeps a log book.

Sorry, had to edit for spelling, syntax errors.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Board Regular

My Apologies Colts ops: No Harm! No harm!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
When I get punched in the face, I'll let you know how appreciative that OTR driver was when I expresed my gratitude.
Hey Peyton...........another valuable tool that us locals in Indy have..... Is the ability to jump off on McCarty or West St. exits when west-bound from the spaghetti bowl to make sure that you and your buddy Marv are gonna make us proud this year in that shrine we are building over there in your honor. Not only will I be coming by daily.............usually 3-5 times daily on the way to Holt Rd. 8) Consider yourself notified
:shock:
Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
When I get punched in the face, I'll let you know how appreciative that OTR driver was when I expresed my gratitude.
Hey Peyton...........another valuable tool that us locals in Indy have..... Is the ability to jump off on McCarty or West St. exits when west-bound from the spaghetti bowl to make sure that you and your buddy Marv are gonna make us proud this year in that shrine we are building over there in your honor. Not only will I be coming by daily.............usually 3-5 times daily on the way to Holt Rd. 8) Consider yourself notified
:shock:
10-4 driver! It's a helluva facility and I'm so excited to see the games in the new palace. Did you see that we drafted Mike Hart today? Great pick-up in the late rounds. He will be a great compliment to Joe Addai and the running game.

I occasionally make some stops at the main post office which is right across the street from the new stadium and the Greyhound station (Illinois St.). It makes the RCA Dome look like Danny Devito in the movie Twins!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I think OTR includes anyone who sleeps in a truck. Regional, long haul, lower 48, dedicated...they are all sub divisions of OTR. If you aint at home then you must be over the road! :wink:
Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I think OTR includes anyone who sleeps in a truck.
By that definition...............A whole bunch of US local/linehaul/fuel drivers just made the cut. Else a good number of us are guilty of having a questionable/unhealthy relationship with the steering wheel while parked on certain ramps and behind some well thought out "hiding spots" around the Circle City! 8)
Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
By that definition...............A whole bunch of US local/linehaul/fuel drivers just made the cut. Else a good number of us are guilty of having a questionable/unhealthy relationship with the steering wheel while parked on certain ramps and behind some well thought out "hiding spots" around the Circle City! 8)
:lol:
Old 04-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I think OTR includes anyone who sleeps in a truck. Regional, long haul, lower 48, dedicated...they are all sub divisions of OTR. If you aint at home then you must be over the road! :wink:
I don't. I ran dedicated. Spent two nights a week in the truck(monday nights and thursday nights) and I have been told by several companies that I have ZERO OTR experience. I think it depends on what the hiring company considers OTR.
If I used your example, then technically I am an OTR diver since I spend some hours in the sleeper either on the way out or the way back well my co-driver drives, but yet I am home daily.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
There's no shame in getting a CDL and working for a DUMP TRUCK company or a delivery route and being home every night..... but don't confuse this with being an Over the Road Trucker!
I couldn't agree more.

Hobo. You mean that some of you guys actually sleep in those trucks? :wink: I'm not sure that my Freightliner would know what to do if I accidentally left Indiana and wandered into one of those strange places with names like; Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois or Michigan! I enjoyed the entire post. Your point is well made. Sometimes I wonder if us locals are even in the same world as you OTR pros. My hat is off to all of you. Especially teams............
I know several guys (and a few on here have mentioned) that put all their stuff in storage, and LIVE in "those trucks!" :shock: That would be pretty hard as a TEAM! But, if I ever go SOLO (long term like 5 weeks at a time "out,") I may do just that!

As for you "locals," no.... it's not the SAME world. You mostly work within the world you LIVE in. I.e: you work around the area you KNOW. You know the roads, the stores, the parking, etc. AND you still know your WIFE! :lol:

IMHO, true OTR drivers experience a different "world" nearly every day. They take with them everything they need to LIVE. They do laundry in truckstops or terminals, eat in restaurants or out of a lunchbox stove, and PAY someone (or let their kids) mow their lawns! We are no more "pros" than you local guys..... but it certainly is a different world!

I chuckled at Codger's reply. I certainly never meant to disparage local drivers..... well, just a little..... but ONLY in fun! We're ALL truck drivers, and that is a common SKILL! Heck, I SHIVER sometimes when I think of all the tight docks and sidedoors and alleys locals have to deal with! I want NO MORE of big city driving than is absolutely necessary! :shock: :lol: Get IN.... get OUT.... and back on the BIG ROAD! :wink:

What I REALLY want, though..... is a truck like YOURS that will do "wheelies!"

OTR is to Trucking.... like a cattle drive is to Ranching. We ALL ride the horse and punch "doggies." Some just sleep under the Stars!! :wink: 8)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.