User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Will this hurt my chances of getting a job with the big boys

So about a month ago my boss tells me that our backhoe operator was pulled over driving (the backhoe) on the surface streets here in Vegas (which he was told to do). He then tells me to take one of our 15 ton dumps and a backhoe trailer to go pick it up. I remind him that the truck is not road ready as it has several deficiencies on it, he reminds me that nevada is an "at will" state and if I wanted my job to go get the backhoe.

No special fuel permit, no registration in the truck (he didn't have a copy of it to give me), the trailer breakaway switch didn't work, and no trailer brake module in the truck so no way to brake the trailer, and no registration for the trailer. I pull up to the backhoe and the motorcycle cop checks me out and my info was good i.e. license and med card but then checks all the trucks paperwork (or lack thereof) and the trailers paperwork as well as the brakes and emergency breakaway switch. So I get $3700 dollars in tickets in my name. I explain the situation about the boss with him and ask if he can put the tickets in the companies name so I don't have these on my record and can still get a job when I quit this company. He explains to me that as long as the boss goes to the court date with me and vouches for me that it would be the companies responsability. long story short the boss went to court to take care of it for me so I wont have to pay and he will.

My question is will any of those tickets go on my record and hinder me from getting a job driving for a trucking company? I work for an underground utility company now driving dumps and equipment around. I am sure he will not report anything negative on my dac but I am not sure if it is up to him or not. Advice would be welcome.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

nothing to worry about.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I doubt your boss even knows about DAC. DAC as rule is "mostly" used by the OTR Giants.

Wait another month or so and goto the DMV and get a certified copy of your MVR, see if it pops up or not.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Will this hurt my chances of getting a job with the big

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B3L
So about a month ago my boss tells me that our backhoe operator was pulled over driving (the backhoe) on the surface streets here in Vegas (which he was told to do). He then tells me to take one of our 15 ton dumps and a backhoe trailer to go pick it up. I remind him that the truck is not road ready as it has several deficiencies on it, he reminds me that nevada is an "at will" state and if I wanted my job to go get the backhoe.

No special fuel permit, no registration in the truck (he didn't have a copy of it to give me), the trailer breakaway switch didn't work, and no trailer brake module in the truck so no way to brake the trailer, and no registration for the trailer. I pull up to the backhoe and the motorcycle cop checks me out and my info was good i.e. license and med card but then checks all the trucks paperwork (or lack thereof) and the trailers paperwork as well as the brakes and emergency breakaway switch. So I get $3700 dollars in tickets in my name. I explain the situation about the boss with him and ask if he can put the tickets in the companies name so I don't have these on my record and can still get a job when I quit this company. He explains to me that as long as the boss goes to the court date with me and vouches for me that it would be the companies responsability. long story short the boss went to court to take care of it for me so I wont have to pay and he will.

My question is will any of those tickets go on my record and hinder me from getting a job driving for a trucking company? I work for an underground utility company now driving dumps and equipment around. I am sure he will not report anything negative on my dac but I am not sure if it is up to him or not. Advice would be welcome.
as the others have said-- you probably don't need to worry about DAC unless your boss reports to them-- probably not since he's not running a trucking company.

But, IF those tickets were in YOUR NAME-- 1) I think I would have wanted to be IN that court WITH my Boss to find out what really happened( get it from the horses mouth)-- if your boss just paid them FOR you-- they might be there on your MVR- as misallanous violations-
still not too much to worry about.

On the other hand; if your boss just said-- "well, John is sick today- and couldn't make it IN to court today........" they might still be "outstanding" against YOU...your boss could have even asked for a continuence/postponement for later.....

California seems to be different-- In California-- equipment Registered INSTATE the tickets for defects always go to/ in the Name of the Owner-- it's out-of-state truckers driving Out-of-state equipment that get Nailed for
equipment violations........
seems strange that Nevada would charge You for equipment violations for equipment registered to a Nevada owner.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Will this hurt my chances of getting a job with the big

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
On the other hand; if your boss just said-- "well, John is sick today- and couldn't make it IN to court today........" they might still be "outstanding" against YOU...your boss could have even asked for a continuence/postponement for later.....
good point although my boss went into court when the ticket said to go and had it rescheduled to an actual court date with a judge so he could dispute them. The date that was on the ticket was with the clerk so he could just pay the tickets if they weren't being disputed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
seems strange that Nevada would charge You for equipment violations for equipment registered to a Nevada owner.
yeah this is one of the city cops who has been trained in DOT as he kept saying to me. I understand he was doing his job but giving out chicken s tickets just to justify the city putting him through this training is bs IMO. According to the officer he is one of about 10% of North Las Vegas PD who are getting this training, the rest of the jurisdictions around (Henderson, Vegas Metro) won't even pull over a truck unless its something serious.

On a seperate occasion I was pulled over by two NHP officers because my chain cradle broke and I was dragging chains down the 215 for about 5 miles and after they chased me the whole way (I didn't see or hear them right on my ass or I would have stopped immediatly) they were really cool about it and didn't even ask to see so much as my license. Which is surprising considering some people would be thrown in jail for not stopping after being chased 5 miles. I remember people beside me pumping there fists and cheering me on while I would drive past them, and here I thought it was because I was a good driver, little did I know they thought I was trying to run from the cops, ROFL.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Equipment violations are usually considered non moving violations and in most states non moving violations do not show up on MVR's.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Equipment violations are usually considered non moving violations and in most states non moving violations do not show up on MVR's.

that's not fare-- I can't argue the point with you-- without incriminating myself.... :lol:

miscellaneous citation:

log book
brake adjustment
mud flap missing
tail light
over-weight
over-length
over-height
license plate missing
trailer registration missing
dot inspection out dated
any permit issue

there's hundreds of possible tickets-- they show up as miscellaneous-- if they show up at all.

When you do your Anal( Annual Review)--
you're required to report any ticket(except Parking tickets) that you have been found guilty of or forfeiture of CASH or Bond

this is how they get you for Dishonesty-- but, then again most cities and local courts-- just collect the cash- and destroy the ticket....
take Missouri for example--
any ticket written on a state of federal right-of-way(road) the local court is only allowed to keep 45% of the money- the other is suppose to go to the state!( They claim this is to discourage speed- traps) but really- the local court system just doesn't report it at all-- and pockets 100%.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Default Tickets

Make sure you go to court {to PROTECT your CDL}. Also get an understanding of what you expect to come out of court with.
When I was new {second trip} I was cited for a bunch of stuff. Had to go to court to defend something I really had no control over. I was lucky, came out with nothing on my record and $20 for court costs.