User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default advice please

So I just got done training(300+hrs) with Werner and I was on my own for about 2 weeks,got home sick(snapped?) and quit. Its been about 2-3 weeks since and I want to go back,so what should I do? I don't want to work for Werner tho.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtryanxpress
So I just got done training(300+hrs) with Werner and I was on my own for about 2 weeks,got home sick(snapped?) and quit. Its been about 2-3 weeks since and I want to go back,so what should I do? I don't want to work for Werner tho.

Apply somewere else :roll:
Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

You may want to eat humble pie, contact dispatch, apologize profusely, explain you were really sick (which I assume you were), and ask for your job back. Gut it out for 6-months or less as you apply to other carriers. It's better to have a job and transfer to another job than not have a job and explain exactly what your work history has been for the past few months.

Also, going back to Werner may prevent them from submitting gosh-knows-what on your DAC report (I'm sure some driver has quit a company and found out that their DAC report subsequently contained an "abandoned equipment" charge when in fact it wasn't true).
Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member

I take it you live in the St Louis area. Why dont you contact companies like ABF and see if you can get on as either a local or line haul driver and be home more often than your typical OTR fleet.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
You may want to eat humble pie, contact dispatch, apologize profusely, explain you were really sick (which I assume you were), and ask for your job back. Gut it out for 6-months or less as you apply to other carriers. It's better to have a job and transfer to another job than not have a job and explain exactly what your work history has been for the past few months.

Also, going back to Werner may prevent them from submitting gosh-knows-what on your DAC report (I'm sure some driver has quit a company and found out that their DAC report subsequently contained an "abandoned equipment" charge when in fact it wasn't true).
this is pretty sound advice.... if you wish to continue in the transportation industry... you need 6-months at least..and leave on good terms...not 2 weeks- and if you can get back in... yeah, start looking immediately for that local gig- if being gone from Momma & not having a "life' was the main factor in your sudden decision that driving wasn't for you.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Ok I haven't been home since early January. So I wasn't like I need to be home all the time but yeah that was dumb of me. Oh yeah another reason I was getting pissed off was the truck they gave me was acting up and I tried to call road break down but I couldn't get thru(5hrs?!) and my dispatch wasn't listening so I drove to the IN terminal drop the truck off and turned in my stuff. Then took greyhound home back home.

Anyway what other companies should I look at? ABF? Hogan? Fry Wagner? Dump Trucks?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am curious as to why you didn't just talk with your dispatcher or driver manager to see if they could give you some home time rather than quiting.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 PM

[quote="dtryanxpress"]Ok I haven't been home since early January. So I wasn't like I need to be home all the time but yeah that was dumb of me. Oh yeah another reason I was getting pissed off was the truck they gave me was acting up and I tried to call road break down but I couldn't get thru(5hrs?!) and my dispatch wasn't listening so I drove to the IN terminal drop the truck off and turned in my stuff. Then took greyhound home back home.quote]
If you want to be a truck driver, you'll just have to live with stuff like this! It won't happen all the time, but it can happen. If you turn in the truck every time you don't like that you're not being catered to within 5 minutes you're in the wrong industry my friend. I think the advice BigWheels gave you is the best I saw on here. With no experience and quitting that quickly others might not want to touch you, but then again I'm not a recruiter so call around and give it a shot if you don't want to go back to Werner. BOL to you!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Rookie
Default Re: advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtryanxpress
I think Big Wheels has the best answer for you! AS a new driver, and you sound like the newest of the new, you're going to get th short end of the stick because 1.) the dispatcher knows he can get away with it, and 2.) in some places its a test, they want to see how much you'll take and how you will react. If you had of approached them more professionally they might have changed their ways some, then maybe not. But if you can apologize and they take you back you may need to do that. Right now your DAC report ain't goin' to look good and that's what you will be hired on now because even after two weeks,.. you're a CDL driver!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM

Werner called a couple days ago and left and message to call them back. I guess they want me back? Any other reasons they would want me to call them? I also got a check from Werner for $3.00 bucks :shock: