User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
HAHA You want a physical test, do SWIFTS, first you gotta climb up this thing simulating climbing into a cab, and back down (Better use 3 point contact!!!), then you have to lift from the ground to chest 50 pounds, and put it back down, and do it 2 more times, and you better do it CORRECTLY, then you have to do that exercise AGAIN with 75 pounds, 3 times as well, then you do it again with 85 pounds, 3 times as WELL (You dont HAVE to pass the 85 pound test UNLESS you want to go flatbed), then after that, you have to do the 75/85 pound AGAIN but this time CHEST to Over Your Head height 3 times as well, then you have to Push so many pounds of force against this device on a wall, and PULL so many pounds of force with this device on the wall, THEN carry that 75 pounds the length of a truck and back, 3 TIMES.

And here is the kicker here, you have to do ALL of this while KEEPING your Heart Rate under a minimum (Determined by age), out of probably 40 or so in my class, about 20 failed the test.
Hope they give you a back support while you're doing those tests. If not, they're opening themselves up to lawsuits. One company I worked for did things like that too, until an applicant went to the hospital and they had to pay all the medical and then some. The company didn't do that anymore.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
HAHA You want a physical test, do SWIFTS, first you gotta climb up this thing simulating climbing into a cab, and back down (Better use 3 point contact!!!), then you have to lift from the ground to chest 50 pounds, and put it back down, and do it 2 more times, and you better do it CORRECTLY, then you have to do that exercise AGAIN with 75 pounds, 3 times as well, then you do it again with 85 pounds, 3 times as WELL (You dont HAVE to pass the 85 pound test UNLESS you want to go flatbed), then after that, you have to do the 75/85 pound AGAIN but this time CHEST to Over Your Head height 3 times as well, then you have to Push so many pounds of force against this device on a wall, and PULL so many pounds of force with this device on the wall, THEN carry that 75 pounds the length of a truck and back, 3 TIMES.

And here is the kicker here, you have to do ALL of this while KEEPING your Heart Rate under a minimum (Determined by age), out of probably 40 or so in my class, about 20 failed the test.
Just to sit and hold a wheel all day? That sounds more like a physical for a foodservice job, not OTR.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Board Regular

Bobcat, I started with CRST........equipment was good and pretty well maintained. While I was with them they leased their equipment and the company who they leased from did all the maintenance. For the most part, my DM kept us loaded and rolling. The biggest fault I had with them was during orientation we were told our trainers would have at the least 12 - 18 months experience.....when I got on board with my trainer I discovered about half way between OKC and Amarillo that he had all of 6 months experience........over the next few weeks I ended up teaching him how to do his log book and introduced him to this wonderful little thing called a calculator. The young man couldn't add and subtract to save his life.

Once I got my own truck, the first driver they teamed me up with was a nut case...........the second was much better. But that shouldn't be a problem with your wife as your partner.............that is unless she's a nut and if she is, you got bigger problems than CRST......... :shock:

They are predominately a team orientated company and as long as you want to stay out on the road you'll do okay.........just stick to your guns if you ask for some time off.......they'll do everything they can to keep you out........

Never had any problem with payroll or paper work, but then I'm one of those anal retentive type person when it comes to stuff like that....

They're much like every other company out there....alot of how it turns out will be up to you and your attitude. There's good and bad.......don't sweat the small stuff. You might be able to do better and but you certainly could do a lot worse.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespalette
Bobcat, I started with CRST........equipment was good and pretty well maintained. While I was with them they leased their equipment and the company who they leased from did all the maintenance. For the most part, my DM kept us loaded and rolling. The biggest fault I had with them was during orientation we were told our trainers would have at the least 12 - 18 months experience.....when I got on board with my trainer I discovered about half way between OKC and Amarillo that he had all of 6 months experience........over the next few weeks I ended up teaching him how to do his log book and introduced him to this wonderful little thing called a calculator. The young man couldn't add and subtract to save his life.

Once I got my own truck, the first driver they teamed me up with was a nut case...........the second was much better. But that shouldn't be a problem with your wife as your partner.............that is unless she's a nut and if she is, you got bigger problems than CRST......... :shock:

They are predominately a team orientated company and as long as you want to stay out on the road you'll do okay.........just stick to your guns if you ask for some time off.......they'll do everything they can to keep you out........

Never had any problem with payroll or paper work, but then I'm one of those anal retentive type person when it comes to stuff like that....

They're much like every other company out there....alot of how it turns out will be up to you and your attitude. There's good and bad.......don't sweat the small stuff. You might be able to do better and but you certainly could do a lot worse.
Thank for the info, your right our attitudes will determined our success with any company.......CRST is the only one that meets most of our needs. Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I never was aware that the Swift physical-test was that difficult.
Then again, I got into shape about a year and a half, before joining them, and continue to this day.

Only thing I got to say about CRST was probably mentioned earlier, a team-oriented company, I prefer solo.
Left them after a two-months and still owe money, my own fault.
But, you stated you were husband/wife, and that their physical sounds to me, like a "cake-walk in Griffith(Los Angeles) Park", so go for it.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider
I never was aware that the Swift physical-test was that difficult.
Then again, I got into shape about a year and a half, before joining them, and continue to this day.

Only thing I got to say about CRST was probably mentioned earlier, a team-oriented company, I prefer solo.
Left them after a two-months and still owe money, my own fault.
But, you stated you were husband/wife, and that their physical sounds to me, like a "cake-walk in Griffith(Los Angeles) Park", so go for it.
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat

Thanks!
Don't mention it.

BTW, I was 300lbs a few, years back, but worked myself down to 180 and stayed there.
If you want to stay active, get yourself a couple of folding bicycles.
Preferably, these types; http://www.dahon.com/us/speedd7.htm, smaller than the Montague, and quite speedy with little, effort.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat

Thanks!
Don't mention it.

BTW, I was 300lbs a few, years back, but worked myself down to 180 and stayed there.
If you want to stay active, get yourself a couple of folding bicycles.
Preferably, these types; http://www.dahon.com/us/speedd7.htm, smaller than the Montague, and quite speedy with little, effort.
Congratulations to you, that is a great achievement & a great idea, thanks!