User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, here are four items/things that could make your OTR lifestyle, a bit more like home;

1)Laptop
-Obvious reasons.
Direction finding, time-killing,. etc

2)Bicycle
-Fitness, personal transport,. etc

3)Get a gym membership
-Personal fitness, well-being, health,. etc

4)Digital camera
-Taking pictures off the road does wonders, relieves stress,. etc

Your list may be different, but there are also some other things that other drivers pack along.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Board Regular
Default You might not like this . .

Beer is a risky proposition,

Girls are a riskier proposition,

Finding a place to watch EPL is next to impossible.

C'mon you Spurs!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Rookie

Hi Nigel
As a fellow brit (Herts) who made the trip across the pond over nine years ago I would say go for it if you are serious about it, BUT getting a work Visa or Green card is next to impossible now unless you know how to climb fences and sprint across the desert!! Something to consider before you get your Peterbilt T-shirt printed..... If thats already sorted then do it, you`ll love it.
C`mon you Gunners
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Hi Nigel! No I don't know Hans Segers, but then again I don't know anyone in Eindhoven even though it's only 45 minutes away from where I lived. I lived in between 's-Hertogenbosch and Nijmegen, which is in the same provence as Eindhoven (Brabant).

As far as giving up your dream goes: why would you?? I love my job and sure there are days I don't feel like driving (doesn't happen a lot) or that I'm mad about dispatchers messing up, but I won't let that ruin my happiness. We're company drivers and have a 2008 Volvo, so not all companies will give you bad equipment.

And about women: the women in the truck stops that come up to you are called "lot lizzards" which are prostitutes. A lot of them are not attractive to say the least :lol: :roll: And for meeting women: there are plenty of single female truck drivers out there, so maybe you'll meet one of them.
Personally I don't talk on the CB radio a lot as most of it is a bunch of you-know-what; especially around the truck stops.
There are truckstops all over the country, plenty of them. Some good and some really bad but you'll get to know all of those too.

You will need a visa/green card; I have a permanent resident card as my husband is American. Your sister lives here already; will she be able to get a family visa for you so you can live and work here?
And Tottenham?? What about Manchester Utd?? I personally go for PSV :lol:
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Oh and P.S. nice little anecdote for you: you know Ruud van Nistelrooij (Van the Man?) right? He grew up in the same town as I did - he lived 10 doors down from me and he was in the same class as my brother in elementary school
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
At the moment I would say there is a shortage of economy! Even the largest US Carrier Swift, I HEARD is on a 2 month hiring freeze, the schools are all shut down, not hiring anyone, cutting back almost 1000 trucks, and has fired or laid off many drivers in the last few months.
Last I heard about SWIFT is that they were grounded for a few days for hiring illegal drivers and then I heard that they are getting shut down by DOT. If they shut them down then they can always start up under some other company do it all over again! :roll: