User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default cpm or percentage for the newbie???

as a newbie starting out w/TMC flatbedding would you recommend going with 30cpm or 23%...thanks all...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

What part of the country do you live in?

Are you wanting to go long haul or line haul?

What is your prior experience?

Asking because it matters how this question is answered!

Freight should be picking up some on the flat bed side of things, and if so, percentage and line haul would be alright, especially if you follow the bonus plan and work yourself into a good position before your first snapshot! Those that apply themselves and pay attention, can easily make 28% and sometime up to 30% in the first snapshot period! This is if you live somewhere above I-20. Below I-20, your rates will be lower for line haul, and getting home every week.

Long haul division, freight east of I-35 and north of I-20 usually pays well, and percentage again is the way to go! If you like running South, Southwest and West coast, mileage will be from average to slightly above what percentage will be!

Remember, as a general rule, but not always, freight and rates generally picks up in the spring and summer, and fall and winter, freight slows down and the rates go with it!

Overall for Spring and Summer, unless the slow economy and elections just kill freight this year, your percentage will be you best option with a year or less experience.

I also recommend for someone fresh out of school, or less than 6 months experience that they go with Long Haul! Why? I look at it this way! Too many newbies come into TMC in the Line haul division, with no routing, planning or load experience! Those three things can cause allot of stress, and spells failure! If a new driver, would go long haul for at least the first six months, the pace is a little more relaxed, allowing to learn proper route planning, time schedules and load securement. You also get to see a bit more of the country, to learn where you might want to run on a regular basis! Little more drop and hook, tarp maybe 2 out of 5 loads, and in some cases better rates due to length of haul.

After six months, you can switch divisions (same truck, just different dispatcher (ugh!) and try your hand at line haul! Some areas of the country have dedicated accounts, which can be quite nice if you want more home time, but you have to prove yourself that your can get you p & D on time, claim free, and such!

If you decide on Line Haul, PM or send an e-mail to me, I will give you a recomendation for a great fleet manager. Also know a couple of names for line-haul also!

Hope this helps, the TMC pay structure can be complicated to explain online!

Good Luck!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Rookie

Im in wny-south of buffalo..just got my license after going to a 5wk cdl training school..