User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

[quote="CrazyTulip"]I did the training through Prime and it was good. Wise decision on your part to go company. We did the lease and that was BAD.

Can I ask why did you lease? What was there selling point? How much more did you think you can make?

My thought is, If the lease is good for the trucker the company wouldn't give it to you.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM

[quote="Evinrude"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
I did the training through Prime and it was good. Wise decision on your part to go company. We did the lease and that was BAD.

Can I ask why did you lease? What was there selling point? How much more did you think you can make?

My thought is, If the lease is good for the trucker the company wouldn't give it to you.
My husband was a solo driver and I wanted to get my CDL. However we didn't have the money to shell out for a CDL-school, we did some research and found out he could drive for Prime, get his CDL-instructor certification and train me for free.
He (hubby) thought it'd be good to go lease as we have some friends that were and are doing pretty good with them. They have one and the same fleet manager. We ended up getting another. I know people will say it was us and that's why we failed; well whatever go ahead I don't care anymore about that.
They never really tried selling you into leasing, they will just tell you what their good drivers make and a lot of people walk into it.
We never thought of getting rich because that ain't going to happen.
We did good the first few months and then it went downhill really fast. Prime pays you 72% of what the load pays plus some fuel surcharge. After that you have the weekly pay of the lease which was $822 the first year then it went down to $721 I believe (don't have the paperwork at hand). They also take a few pennies per mile for tire fund, permits etc. So your total fixed cost per week will be somewhere around $1100 for a truck you'll never own. So it wasn't smart on our part is all I was saying :lol:
Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the input so far.

Now would it be smarter to just complete a local CDL training class and then just start applying to all the entry level OTR carriers?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r311music

Now would it be smarter to just complete a local CDL training class and then just start applying to all the entry level OTR carriers?
It's all about what you want. Call around to local schools (but also check if they are good) and companies who train and see what the prices are. Maybe going through a company like e.g. Schneider would be cheaper than a school and you get more direct 'hands-on' training, but like I said, do some research!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

In Real Estate, it's all about: Location, Location, Location.

In obtaining a CMV CDL, it's all about: Research, Research, Research.

Know what you want (at least what you think you want), research the bejeebers out of it, then make a decision. Time will tell how you did.

If you want to drive a big-rig and go OTR, pick a good school (research), pay for it yourself (appears you can), and get out there!

Best!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Default Prime

Prime is just another bottom feeding company. A few years ago I spent 1/2 a day at their Springfield,MO yard looking over their lease agreement and talking to drivers. It was somewhat amazing to me that they actually get people to sign that agreement. It was so heavily weighted in their favor. You miss running a few days and you could end up in a financial hole you would play hell getting out of. The so called lease completion incentive was nothing more than them returning your maintenance escrow money. Yet they played it up like it was some kind of bonus. Cookie cutter econobox trucks, high lease payments, risky terms. Definitely wasn't for me.

Everybody has to start somewhere, but there are other places to get started in this business. Where you choose to get your start will affect you for years to come. Do your research. Be patient. Choose wisely.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r311music

I am in the same boat and looking at my options.What has helped me understand this industry is actually calling,visiting and spending time with drivers. Make your own decisons. What some don't like or care for, might interest you. Alot of opinions are exactly that. Especially when they originate from someone never employed by a company they are flaming.

SNI has great training, and you are assigned to a "TE" (training engineer)who sharpens your skills. Then your obligated for 1.5 yrs.

CFI/Conway TL will send you to school,You pay arounf $1000. They have some really nice drivers working there and "finishers" who sharpen your skills.Then after you pull your first load. Your obligation is complete.

Prime will hire you without a cdl, pay you 600 a week and train you for the cdl skills test and then you will spend 60,00 miles with a trainer. Take your test and become an "A" seat driver.

It all depends on what you want and how comfortable you are with your skills.

These are just a few of the many options available to you. Make a well thought out plan as you will need to stay employed for 1 yr and not job hop. It also depends on what type of freight you are interested in. They all have their pro's and con's.Reefers wait, tankers surge, flatbeds tarp and work harder. IMO, This is a great industry for a 2nd career.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Default Re: Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
Prime is just another bottom feeding company. A few years ago I spent 1/2 a day at their Springfield,MO yard looking over their lease agreement and talking to drivers. It was somewhat amazing to me that they actually get people to sign that agreement. It was so heavily weighted in their favor. You miss running a few days and you could end up in a financial hole you would play hell getting out of. The so called lease completion incentive was nothing more than them returning your maintenance escrow money. Yet they played it up like it was some kind of bonus. Cookie cutter econobox trucks, high lease payments, risky terms. Definitely wasn't for me.

Everybody has to start somewhere, but there are other places to get started in this business. Where you choose to get your start will affect you for years to come. Do your research. Be patient. Choose wisely.
Yes you're right about the lease option but I was giving advise to go company - as a company driver you can do OK to get started and sit out your first year. Then at least you have a base, more knowledge on the industry and can make a better decision from there.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM

STAY AWAY FROM THE AS**##*** HOLES THEY R CRAP!!!!! :shock:
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio joe
STAY AWAY FROM THE AS**##*** HOLES THEY R CRAP!!!!! :shock:
Would you like to explain yourself in more detail other than just that sentence which gives the man no info at all?? :roll: