User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I just made the jump from van to tanker.
i haven't officially driven the tanker yet, but i went for my first ride today.
My 2 biggest concerns are train crossings and missing a step during pumping ie forgetting to open a valve or a vent or properly buttoning everything up.
on the ride, i think the driver drove the tanker harder than i drive a van, so I'm not too terribly concerned.
i think a lot of drivers really psyche themselves out of trying tanker.
As long as you're careful, cautious, don't make any sudden moves, give yourself plenty of room, and just use your brainmeats, there should be no cause for concern.

Just wait until you get to use the wand to suck barrels. Whee!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Board Regular

well, i'm on my 3rd week of driving tanker. i've officially pulled 3 loads. load 1 was 150 miles, not bad.
2nd load was from michigan to memphis, nearly full, easy drive.
3rd was from memphis to beaumont, 40000 lbs of caustic, sloshed and surged pretty good.

overall, what's the fuss? It's not like the tanker is going to fly off into space or something. Honestly, after driving van for 2 years, I'm glad I made the switch. This stuff is too easy
Old 06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Rookie

too easy??? shhhhh, you're gonna let everybody in on the deal and flood the market... lol

drive it like its rented when empty unless you're on the ice.

10 mph under on posted curves when loaded.

plan for braking when loaded.

however you hook-up and put away, do it the same way every single time so you develope a routine.

I start at the front and work my way back buttoning up. then walk back to the front checking myself. AND last thing I do everytime is check the mirror to make sure I unhooked the hose.

A little anal perhaps... but I was in the terminal when a guy ripped the hose off the bulk plant, just before being fired, so I guess it was a good time to do it ??? :shock:

Scared the heck out of me !!!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Board Regular

I'll admit it, the tanker is harder to line up.
i missed teh crotch and got the pin over the 5th wheel. First time i ever did that. glad the tank was empty and i had someone to help me get undone. Now I'm much more careful about that until i get more familiar with the equipment.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I've pulled vans, pups, doubles and tankers and I liked tankers the best. Every one has hit about everything you need to know.

The only thing I can add is prepare for the turn before you make it and stay off the brakes in curves.

Also,I always kept a half full bottle of windshield washer fluid on the floor on the passenger side. Watching the washer fluid can give you an idea of what the product is doing (if the product is about the consistency).

Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Nothing more I can really add. You already have driving experience, so you know how to operate the truck, and all. It's just not something I'd recommend for someone who has just started driving, when they'd still be in the process of getting the basics down.
Just keep in mind what you're pulling behind you at all times, and play it safe.
As for me, my first tanker experience was a 10 wheel straight truck, hauling water to job sites and spraying it to keep dust from being kicked up, and I'd occasionally have to drive the tack truck to get refilled (but the site foreman always did the actual tacking himself). From there, I moved to a 10 wheel dairy tanker, doing local runs, and then I moved up to doing regional food grade runs in an 18 wheeler. After that, the only other time I've driven a tank since was when I had to move a HEMMT refueling vehicle from the Defense Supply Center in Richmond to Fort Pickett (also in Virginia), because all the 88M personnel were either deployed to Irak, or else were E-1s fresh out of basic, and neither the Regular Army nor the National Guard had any personnel to send. That's also the only time I ever drove a chemical tank.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Rookie

I pulled drybulk cement tankers in Utah and Colorado. 80% off road in snowy canyons, mountains, and cliffs, the rest was on long snowy roads to get to the offroad locations. barely a person around. negative 40 degrees everyday with wind.
mountain roads with less than 1 foot clearance on each side. mud, you name. it was fun stuff. i drove in convoys with other trucks. sometimes acid tankers, water trucks, mixers, etc.
i loved it off road. i just hated the company i worked for, and the labor i did.
but the driving in the snow was so much fun. to chain up and slide around. it was scary at times cause i knew if i made one mistake, it was a long way down and Id be dead. but it was the thrill of the ride that made it fun.
spent a lot of time creeping in low low gear, but also a lot of time hauling at about 35 mph around those snowy canyon passes.

i also drove a teeny bit in NYC dry bulk cement. city driving was easy but Im not a fan of the east coast.

any specific questions, feel free to ask.