User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Rookie
Location: Permanently in Colorado, currently in the Middle East
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Colorado?

I'm new here, which is painfully obvious by my post count. I've been researching trucking for some time. I was leaning towards Schneider, since the training is supposed to be top-notch with no up-front cost, but it seems they only hire for dedicated runs from here, and I haven't heard a lot of good things about them. I'm more interested in OTR. I do not have a CDL, and I am wondering if there are any decent companies hiring in the Boulder area that will train newbies. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 PM

www.wksh.com
Good company, offers training (with employment contract/payback) and they have a terminal in Denver so you shouldn't have any issue with home time and unlike every other company here they heven't had a "slowdown, it's the economy, waaa-waaa" :roll:
They'll keep you moving and treat you better than most.
You can probably count on one hand the decent starter companies, most of the trucks happen to be red.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Rookie
Location: Permanently in Colorado, currently in the Middle East

Thanks much. Hard to believe a LTL carrier will take complete newbs. I'll give them a call.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM

I wouldn't consider them LTL but about 25% of their van loads are multi-stop.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 AM

Being a Colorado resident, I might be able to help a bit as well. I had also talked to Schnieder.. odd how that company seems to be on the first to call list. They told me the same they told you, with the gm/ford runs. I found that there aren't any companies you can train with here in Denver.. they all have you go somewhere else in the country. However, there are a few schools here so you can be a "free agent" of sorts, not owing time to the company that trained you.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Solo

I am/was in the same boat as you. Complete newbie to trucking when I changed careers. I did a bunch of research, too = posted the story on a different board.

a couple things I learned.

1) (and you seem to have this in hand) not all trucking companies are the same.

2) at least 50% of all the "what a crap company" stories are B.S.

3) do NOT let a company pay for your school unless there is absolutely no alternative. You will have to pay them back. Typically this is done via weekly deductions from your paycheck. However! If, for some reason, you can't work for X time, you may still have to make that payment. Also, if you decide that you just can't stand working for them - before you've paid them back fully, you STILL have to pay them back. I have *heard* (and this may be pure hoo-ha) that some companies won't pro-rate you. If you quit, they'll demand repayment of the full amount.

Go to your county employment agency. They will be able to direct you to the WIA administrator. WIA is a *grant* for learning new skills when you can't get a job with your current skill set. From start to finish, it took me about 2.5 weeks to have my grant in hand.

4) there are several schools here in the Denver area. Find the one that best suits your needs. As it happens, I chose the one in Henderson (Commerce City), both for its reputation and for its proximity to my home.

5) a pretty fair number of trucking companies hire out of schools. Check out http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ting&ListAll=1 for a pretty nice list.

6) I recommend getting all the endorsements you can, rather than just settle for the basic CDL. You probably won't need them at the outset, but it should open doors down the road.

Best of luck!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
4) there are several schools here in the Denver area. Find the one that best suits your needs. As it happens, I chose the one in Henderson (Commerce City), both for its reputation and for its proximity to my home.
You chose Sage for their reputation? Are you kidding me? Sage's school is a complete junk pile. You should know as well that they carry a reputation worse than Swift.. or perhaps C.R. England and J.B. Hunt did some time ago. In fact, that's much like saying you would rather have sex with a spent whore over a drop dead gorgeous woman simply for the fact the whore was closer..
Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 AM

The All-American Truck Driving School Guide picked the "Best Truck Driving Schools in North America" and guess who was their number 1 pick. Sage Tech Truck Driving Schools.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Board Regular

Just curious where the attitude toward Sage comes from RunNGun?

I went to Sage in Cheyenne, Wy and they did what they said they would, help me get my CDL. I thought it was a good choice, mainly due to the fact that they only had one student in the truck at a time. Some of the places that put like 2-4 students plus the instructor in the truck at the same time wouldn't give everyone a whole lot of time to learn, IMO.

I do think there was alot of boring videos, and thing can be a little rushed but its only a three week program, or when i went it was.

They may not be the best choice for everyone, but they will give you the basic knowledgeand skills you need to obtain a commercial license.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Thier staff is the primary reason for how I see them. More than likely it's just that one Sage.. pray it be.. I went there as a prospective school.. and they refused to give anything beyond very basic information until I had applied to the school. To me, that's like marrying some broad before you even know who she is.. and that sure as hell ain't happening.