User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
Husband's passion is flying, when he was over the road, storage on the truck was for rc planes, I never had to worry about him, in any city he could pass the time watching planes at the air port or buy them at the Hobby Store, (GPS is good for finding hobby stores in every town).

So Useless, Why don't you fly for a living? Or do you?

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a professional pilot. Growing up in Bossier City, La, we lived very close to Barksdale AFB. When we moved to Dallas, we were under the final for Love Field. I was born with the plane bug in my genes.

Quite sadly, and most unfairly, there is not much demand for professional airline pilots or military pilots who are blind and dyslexic. Although even at the big 5-UUugghh!! and my vision is corrected to 20/20, I'm legally blind in one eye, and don't see well out of the other. I'm also severely dyslexic, which isn't received with the best of humor either.

Of course, now we have "The Americans With No Abilities Act" which protects people like me, so they couldn't get away with such blatant discrimination in today's world!!

Although I don't fly for a living, I do fly for business purposes. My current bird is a Mooney M20R; (Ovation) Although it really isn't well suited for recreational bug smashing, it is a very effective time piece. It's fast and it's efficient, and because I don't have to spend hours wading through airports, waiting in lines, cooling my heals at the gates, or waiting for connecting flights, I can actually beat the airlines on trips of about 1000 miles. When I get back home, I'll send you a few pics of it if you'd like to see it.

Bear in mind that I live outside of the San Antonio metropolitan area. Although I'm not a Christian, I was asked to participate in an eccommunical Bible Study group. The focus of our study was on what happens after we take our last dying breaths. Do we go to Heaven?? Do some of us go to Hell??

I studied in earnest, performed some very in depth research, and submitted my findings. My conclusion was that if you die in San Antonio, Texas, you can't go to Heaven OR Hell without first connecting in Houston, Dallas, Denver, or Atlanta!!

More of my work is now centered here in Texas, so I'm not spending as much time in the wild blue as I used to, or as much time as I would like to. Since I flunked retirement a few years ago, my workload has gradually increased, and as the focus of our affairs have shifted, I'm finding myself away from home a whole lot more, but I tend to be in one area for several weeks at a time.Where work demands are concerned, I have always had a propensity to go from one extreme to another.

Did you make CFI? I have been studing Rod Macho's books, He is so entertaining, I would have died trying to read FAR alone.

No, but I do hold an IFR/CPL ticket. Unfortunately, due to global warming and the melting of the polar ice caps, my gravitational impact upon the Earth has increased at an excessive rate, and my blood pressure is becoming increasingly problematic, so if I don't get off my butt and do something about it muy pronto, I won't be able to fly much more than a kite.

As I mentioned this particular instructor was the rip old age of 23. :roll:
Not all his instructors are as young, the older ones wouldn't flying in the weather that this young cocky kid will. They even did a "Top Gun Take off"

Whatever that means in a single engine piston plane. :roll:
I mentioned it to the kid that I knew all about that :lol:
I told him I would get them both Maverik and Iceman tensile for their helmets. :lol:
I wonder what "USELESS" tensile would look like??
Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Rookie

This thread is here-by SKYJACKED.

Bet there's lots of us old pilots here. Seems a natural path from plane flying to truck driving and / or back and forth. How much is 100LL Avgas now-adays Useless? :arrow:
Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlacTrac
This thread is here-by SKYJACKED.

Bet there's lots of us old pilots here. Seems a natural path from plane flying to truck driving and / or back and forth. How much is 100LL Avgas now-adays Useless? :arrow:
SKYJACKED a trucking thread, Slac??

Oh, well!! Leave it to me!!

I just fueled up at KPSN, Palestine (Tx.) Municipal Airport; IIRC, I paid $4.59 AS for 100LL.