User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

well my truck has a lot of issues.. lol. but as far as this one.. i got this off the eaton websight. i dont remember exactly what the sight is. i know i stumbled on it searching thru google. i will try & find it. but hey maybe the eaton websight has issues too. i do recall though it said when inbetween 2 certain gears to be in the lower one before the turn or the next gear & do not shift in the turn.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
"unshiftable" while cornering
cornering is fine. turning is where the trans does not want to cooperate. as far as the cab moving or anything else moving, having an affect on the shifter, i dont think that is it, cause if your in low & want to upshift. you dont move the shifter anyway. you just flip the button.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How to get the most from your Super 10* Button only upshifts. BE PATIENT! The transmission will only complete ashift when the engine RPM decreases to the level required for the next highergear.* 1st to 2nd upshift. Perform the button shift to 2nd gear just after thevehicle has started in motion. This shift from 1st to 2nd gear can be accom-plished at approximately 1000 RPM - even if fully loaded.* 3rd to 4th Button only shift on tight right turns. Because of vehicleresistance created during the turn, either stay in 3rd gear through the turn, orshift into 4th before the turn.* Select the best starting gear. If on level ground or lightly loaded, trystarting in 2nd gear rather than 1st.* Use the vehicle tachometer. Because newer vehicles and engines arequieter, it is harder to shift by “sound”. Use the vehicle tachometer todetermine when a shift completes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 17 ON ALL COPIES.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

and here is the eaton websight i got that from
Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have never had a problem shifting a manual transmission in a turn. I drove an auto-shift for a few months. It took me about 3 weeks to get accustomed to not shifting gears. I jumped back into a manual and didn't have any problems readjusting to the gear shift. That is the only auto-shift I have driven for any length of time. I think they are great if you are in a lot of heavy stop and go traffic on a regular basis. I don't care for them in mountains. I still prefer a manual. I am sure you will find more companies going to the auto-shifts or automatics in the future. I don't see them as being any better or worse than a manual as far as safety is concerned. It is the driver who makes the difference. A bad driver will not be safe regardless of the type of transmission he drives.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
Quote:
How to get the most from your Super 10* Button only upshifts. BE PATIENT! The transmission will only complete ashift when the engine RPM decreases to the level required for the next highergear.* 1st to 2nd upshift. Perform the button shift to 2nd gear just after thevehicle has started in motion. This shift from 1st to 2nd gear can be accom-plished at approximately 1000 RPM - even if fully loaded.* 3rd to 4th Button only shift on tight right turns. Because of vehicleresistance created during the turn, either stay in 3rd gear through the turn, orshift into 4th before the turn.* Select the best starting gear. If on level ground or lightly loaded, trystarting in 2nd gear rather than 1st.* Use the vehicle tachometer. Because newer vehicles and engines arequieter, it is harder to shift by “sound”. Use the vehicle tachometer todetermine when a shift completes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 17 ON ALL COPIES.
I can see what they're saying, that due to driveline torque wrap during a tight turn you may not be able to break torque and let the air shift do it's thing, but that instruction deals only with an upshift from 3rd to 4th.

Why would anyone be wanting to upshift while making a tight right turn?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

i hear ya g- man. i thought is was me too. until i got to the eaton websight. but it is true. i doubt they would have it on their websight if it were just a prob with just a few of their trannys. but like it says if i'm going into a sharp turn to stay in 3rd or shift to 4th before the turn. if i shift from 3rd to 4th in the turn it just does not work.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why would anyone be wanting to upshift while making a tight right turn?
well my truck is at a crawl at 3rd & 4th gears. ya ever geton on a get on one of those get on ramps that are 1/8 mile long ? a constant hard curve? at 3rd my truck is whinning at 16-1700 rpms & the speed is really needed to go up. even light loaded. it has the same effect long curve especially any type grade like a ramp & it will not shift. mine in 3rd is like most trucks in 1st.. i guess one cannot really understand unless they have driven one with the specs i have. now i can be wrong on why it does what it, but i dont lie or make stuff up..
Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 AM

Forgive me for the ignorant question.. but BigDiesel mentioned that he owned a 2006 Pete 387, and that it was an auto. Does this transmission come standard on that truck? Or would any transmission come standard on other trucks?

I just hope to avoid an auto right off the bat out of school, driving for the man..
Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunNGun
Forgive me for the ignorant question.. but BigDiesel mentioned that he owned a 2006 Pete 387, and that it was an auto. Does this transmission come standard on that truck? Or would any transmission come standard on other trucks?

I just hope to avoid an auto right off the bat out of school, driving for the man..
I ordered my 387 with the Ultrashift..... You need to start on 9sp, 10sp, 13sp etc... to get the experience, better for you in the long run.