User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Decisions, decisions and a few more questions.

First off, thanks to everyone for their input on my earlier posts. Every bit of info, pro and con has been useful. I am trying to decide which way to go. I have been offered placement with both Swift and USA Trucks. I know they're both considered "bottom feeders" so I am going in with the attitude that it is for a year to learn and pay dues. I like Swift because they have a flatbed and specialized division that I can transfer to if not put there right out of school. And I am thinking flatbed pays better in the long run to boot. Am I right?

But I would have to go to San Antonio for school....

USA Trucks training is closer (Indianapolis) and they are basically the same but they have no flatbed division....

What about Maverick? If I fork out the 3800.00 for school here in Md. I can be hired into their flatbed division right after school. But school does not start until late May and runs 8 weeks. Also, I really cannot afford to pay that right now and do not qualify for financial aide. Besides, I'd rather have 30-50K miles under my belt before I start battling snow....

Again, thanks for all the help. This board has been very helpful.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Board Regular

Yes, you will make more money flatbeding. From what I've heard Maverick has a waiting list to get into their training so you may want to start out somewhere else first and get your experience then you would have an easier time transfering to Maverick.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input Young Z.

I thought about the possibility of transferring to Maverick after my 1 year of indentured service with another company was up....lol........Heck, I have even thought about possibly doing it at 6mos...