User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
Your husband is entitled to the federal minimum wage at a minimum and more likely, California minimum wage. Don't wait for CRST to volunteer it, though. Call the CA Department of Labor to confirm what I said and then call CRST and let them know where to send the check.

If your new employer sends you home to wait for a trainer you wont be entitled to any pay. If the employer has you travel to meet a trainer, you are entitled to be paid.

Once again, it's the big myth about pay per mile. You don't have to be driving to be paid. Your company owes you Federal minimum wage (some states are higher) for all hours worked.
Actually you are wrong, the trucking industry is not held within the minimum wage bracket of the law, if it is pay per mile, it is just that, there are no minimum wage laws for the trucking industry unless you get paid hourly!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Board Regular

I know. I should have said "wait for matcat to pipe in with the real truth."

Actually, I gave the reference to the CA department of labor because I wanted the poor woman to prove to herself what is right.

Everyone is covered by the Federal minimum wage, even matcat, although he doesn't seem to be aware of it. Truck drivers are exempted from the overtime provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
Your husband is entitled to the federal minimum wage at a minimum and more likely, California minimum wage. Don't wait for CRST to volunteer it, though. Call the CA Department of Labor to confirm what I said and then call CRST and let them know where to send the check.

If your new employer sends you home to wait for a trainer you wont be entitled to any pay. If the employer has you travel to meet a trainer, you are entitled to be paid.

Once again, it's the big myth about pay per mile. You don't have to be driving to be paid. Your company owes you Federal minimum wage (some states are higher) for all hours worked.
Actually you are wrong, the trucking industry is not held within the minimum wage bracket of the law, if it is pay per mile, it is just that, there are no minimum wage laws for the trucking industry unless you get paid hourly!

I'd be interested in knowing where you found the exception because a driver is paid my the mile.

The only exception I have been able to find is the exception which say a driver is exempt from over-time pay. per http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...rt_782/toc.htm

kc0iv
Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Default CRST

Apparently you've not met a "truckstop lawyer". In the Navy they're called a "sea lawyer". BOL
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Rookie
Default update of CRST hell

Well here is an update of the continuing hell CRST is putting my husband through. He made it to OKC on Friday and to make a long story short he had to stay in a hotel there waiting for a trainer that was suppose to pick him up on Sat then they told him he would have to wait until Monday but then Sat afternoon CRST ended up putting my husband on a number of buses to meet up with his trainer in Ohio which took 17 HOURS! Then he ended up with his sleeping bag missing so now he has to buy another one. And all this time and travel with NO pay!
When he called me this morning he said he was still waiting for his trainer to pick him up!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

When I hired on with Crete they rented me a car to get to the Phoenix terminal. From there I drove it to Bakersfield to pick up a tractor that had been sitting there after repairs. I then picked up a load and took it to Lincoln NE where I finished orientation and picked up my real tractor.

I was paid from the time I left Phoenix.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Board Regular
Default crst is under investigation and being sued

CRST IS CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR SEXUAL HARRASSMENT AND NOT TREATING WOMEN EQUALLY.
THEY ARE THE WORSE COMPANY OUT THERE!!! THERE TRUCKS AND TRAILERS ARE SUBSTANDARD AND THEIR TERMINALS ARE HORRIBLE!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I originally trained and drove the 28 days with this company back in '04.
Unfortunately, the recruiters lied about the whole, solo-thing, and I found out later about it being strictly team.
My time with Swift was much better spent, but I may have to utilize this company as a "last-resort" to get back with Swift, come October.
In that case, I'll be thinking up a "survival-bag" to get me through finishing up my six-months there to get the schooling they provided me with, paid for.
As for the OP, suggest to your husband to get a set of resistance-bands, and a laptop if he hasn't already.
Those will help ease any pains he might have if placed with a "less-than-favorable" co-driver.