User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just to throw my 2 cents in, Swift will allow sleep apnea drivers, and they are the only company drivers allowed to run direct battery connected inverters, and idle their trucks. Go figure, gotta have a disorder to get the perks
Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Rookie

I think I remember hearing at Schneider that you can get free S.A. testing under their insurance and they'll provide the CPAP.

How do you know if you have it without getting tested? Within the past couple years I've gotten to where I can't sleep on my back because I snore so bad it wakes me up as soon as I doze off. As long as I sleep on my stomach I'm ok. I look sleep deprived a lot because of the darkness under my eyes and I'm tired pretty often.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
I think I remember hearing at Schneider that you can get free S.A. testing under their insurance and they'll provide the CPAP.

How do you know if you have it without getting tested? Within the past couple years I've gotten to where I can't sleep on my back because I snore so bad it wakes me up as soon as I doze off. As long as I sleep on my stomach I'm ok. I look sleep deprived a lot because of the darkness under my eyes and I'm tired pretty often.
The CPAP is free as long as you work for them for 1 year(contract). They also require you to sleep at least 4 hours a night with the CPAP, they are able to monitor how long you sleep through a data card you insert into the CPAP machine.

This is what I last heard of thier policy it may have changed.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:37 AM

I know I have it because I'm lucky enough to sleep with a nurse a few nights a week. I'm going to go through with the process in order to improve my life and my health but just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do it at the expense of my employment. I want to try my luck with some regional work next year and just wanted to find out if this would be an issue.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM

Very interesting!! What does CPAP stand for?

I went from sleeping like a baby(no snoring) when I did the beer job, pretty fit @ 193 pounds to 215 pounds doing the fuel job and seems like I sleep longer and wake up tired.

The worse part is my wife has almost banned me from the bedroom due to very loud snoring. Does'nt matter if I sleep on my back, side, or stomach. I actually have been falling asleep on the couch for a couple of hours(i get home at 2 or 3 AM) till she gets up in the mourning so she can get a good nights sleep. Have tried the little nose ring thingy, spray for the throat, and Vicks under the nose.

If I can solve this maybe NO PANTY FRIDAY will turn into NO PANTY MONDAY,WEDNESDAY,FRIDAY!!!!

Peace Out, 8) 8)
Fuelman
Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Board Regular

Most companies require not only the sleep study but an additional test for Pilots,Truck drivers and Train engineers. You go through a series of sitting in the dark to see if you fall asleep during the day. Once you are singned off on them then I havent found problems with any company accepting you as a driver.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelman
Very interesting!! What does CPAP stand for?

I went from sleeping like a baby(no snoring) when I did the beer job, pretty fit @ 193 pounds to 215 pounds doing the fuel job and seems like I sleep longer and wake up tired.

The worse part is my wife has almost banned me from the bedroom due to very loud snoring. Does'nt matter if I sleep on my back, side, or stomach. I actually have been falling asleep on the couch for a couple of hours(i get home at 2 or 3 AM) till she gets up in the mourning so she can get a good nights sleep. Have tried the little nose ring thingy, spray for the throat, and Vicks under the nose.

If I can solve this maybe NO PANTY FRIDAY will turn into NO PANTY MONDAY,WEDNESDAY,FRIDAY!!!!

Peace Out, 8) 8)
Fuelman
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
I have a cpap machine just hired by Swift.
I have a 12 volt machine that I take on the truck.
All trucking companys will only give you a 12 month medical if you have Sleep Apnea.
Here is a good web site for SA http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/snoring/cpap.cfm
Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 AM

on a more positive note - you may not need a CPAP (or BiPAP).. I got along for years and years on a simple nasal canula feeding me concentrated O2. It's a lot more quiet than a CPAP (which aren't terribly loud in the first place), and it's a lot less.. intrusive. Just a little plastic tube under the nose, instead of a nose/face mask.

If you are diagnosed with SA and your insurance won't spring for the machine (I hate most insurance companies), don't get too wired up. They sell for as little as $250 or so. Or, you can go high-end with a humidifier and all built in for about $1500.