User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New to the trucking scene..need a lil help

I drove for Anheuser Busch for 10 years as a CDL A driver but there was one problem. All the trucks they had were automatic. I have driven manual transmission all my life, but never driven a manual truck. Anybody have any advice/help or any instructional video. Help with the gear patterns, shifting, when and when not to clutch, etc... I am starting a new gig next week and would like to at least be mentally prepared!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Generally, there is a "magic number" that dictates when you shift.
1200 RPM is when you downshift, 1700 is when you upshift.

I say generally because some trucks are different. The truck I drove for Pepsi was a 9-speed International that would rev. up to 1900 before it shifted smoothly and I could downshift anywhere from 1100 - 900 RPM and not grind it. Volvo I drove for Swift liked 1100 exactly for downshifting and around 1550 - 1600 for upshifting.

As for using the clutch...about the only time you use it is when you are at a dead stop. Otherwise you can use the "double-clutch" technique or "float the gears"..both double-clutching and floating require the same technique.

Personally, I was never very good at floating the gears, so I always double-clutched which kinda goes like this:

Upshift - Hit the upper RPM limit, push clutch in, wait for RPM to hit lower RPM limit, push clutch in, place into the next gear (using the splitter if required).

Downshift - Slow the truck (using brakes, engine compression, or both) until you hit the lower RPM limit, push clutch in, take transmission out of the current gear (use the splitter if required), rev engine to upper RPM limit, push clutch in, place into the next lowest gear.

When you float the gears, it's pretty much the exact same process, just without using the clutch.

Now, as for patterns..I've only ever driven 9 & 10 speeds and they both have the same pattern which is like a 6-speed manual in a car.

Going from memory here...so don't flame too much if it's wrong. :lol:

10 speed:

R 2 4
|-|-|
1 3 5

With the splitter up, it looks like this:

R 7 9
|-|-|
6 8 10

9 speed:

R 1 3
|-|-|
L 2 4

With the splitter up, it looks like this:

R 5 7
|-|-|
L 6 8
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Default Re: New to the trucking scene..need a lil help

Quote:
Originally Posted by localjake78
...never driven a manual truck. Anybody have any advice/help or any instructional video. Help with the gear patterns, shifting, when and when not to clutch, etc... I am starting a new gig next week and would like to at least be mentally prepared!
How's it going?