User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Parking on on/off ramps

I took a 10 hr. break on an off ramp in Virginia...another driver that works for my company saw me later on that week and told me I could've gotten a ticket for parking there. So my question is...What states is it legal to park on the on/off ramps? This guy said Virginia wasn't one of them, but I saw a lot of other guys doing it in that state. Some ramps had no parking signs, but this one didn't have any.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Parking on on/off ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits44x
I took a 10 hr. break on an off ramp in Virginia...another driver that works for my company saw me later on that week and told me I could've gotten a ticket for parking there. So my question is...What states is it legal to park on the on/off ramps? This guy said Virginia wasn't one of them, but I saw a lot of other guys doing it in that state. Some ramps had no parking signs, but this one didn't have any.

Legal or not WHY choose to do it in the first place? It is illegal in many states but not always enforced. Plan ahead and avoid the truckstops that constantly fill up early. I stopped at the All-American TS in Doswell,VA off of 95 once at midnight and there was plenty of parking left. The TS in Harrisonburg,VA at exit 248 is not that hard of a place to find parking either. I don't see why anyone would want to park on an on or off-ramp for 10 hours. :shock:
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Im pretty sure most companies probably have a policy regarding parking on ramps. I know mine does. It is extremely dangerous to park on and Off Ramp.....If you must utilize a ramp for any length of time, never use the off ramp, but utilize the on ramp. Vehicles exiting the highway are traveling at a much greater speed than vehicles entering a highway. Ive heard many situation where trucks parked on an off ramp have been rear ended by highspeed vehicles exiting. Guess whos at fault, at least a shared fault.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Technically it is illegal in almost every state. Some enforce it, others do not. VA is one state that does enforce it. Also other states only enforce certain ramps and will leave others alone. Illinois is one of these. Ramps that are totally curved or have small shoulders are enforced here.

As mentioned, parking on the ramps should only be done as an absolute last resort, and then only park on a straight section of the get on side.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

off ramp parking is a serious safety No-No.

On ramp parking is quickly becoming illegal in all states---- sorry.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

In Ohio I have seen a the DOT pull up to trucks parked on entry/exit and do a full inspection (pump down/check under hood/brakes)in an attempt to deter them. I think over all the leave most truckers alone because after 10pm the rest areas are PACKED. The truck stops(pilot,Loves,Ta) are PACKED and there is NO PLACE to park your truck. It is impossible for all truckers to find a parking place before 10pm.

Now in Michigan i think they will stir fry your testicles if you park on an entry/exit ramp. I have yet to see any truck parked on entry/exit ramp up there.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Quote:

Legal or not WHY choose to do it in the first place? It is illegal in many states but not always enforced. Plan ahead and avoid the truckstops that constantly fill up early. I stopped at the All-American TS in Doswell,VA off of 95 once at midnight and there was plenty of parking left. The TS in Harrisonburg,VA at exit 248 is not that hard of a place to find parking either. I don't see why anyone would want to park on an on or off-ramp for 10 hours. :shock:

I hear alot about parking issues ...my question is I bet you can eat up some time and fuel finding somewhere to sit up ...so My question is after reading a post from a gentleman who was given the third degree cause he went 26 miles out of his way to turn around .... How Do most dispatchers feel about this ...and what is considered as an acceptable effort ?

Shawn
Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Board Regular
Default parking on/off ramp

Drew10's comment sum it up most Co's policy prohibit this & obviously it's very dangerous. I've used them a time or 2 but as a very last resort as a last choice! 8)
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

this is why i run during the overnight hours and i am shut down by no later than 1400hrs, local time. truck stops are generally empty in comparison to the evening and throughout the night time. the only exception to that is carlisle, pennsylvania. i don't ever again want to have to shut down there.

there have been instances where i've used an on-ramp, or dirt lot next to a freeway, because i've been so drowsy that it felt like i was driving through an endless tunnel. i catnapped for 2 hours and got moving.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Board Icon

Your fellow driver was right, VA has been cracking down hard on drivers who stop on the shoulder at rest areas or ramps to sleep after some nasty crashes in the last year. All ramps in VA are off limits to sleep. You may stop for a few minutes to do whatever, but you cannot sleep there.

Doesn't matter what everyone else does. DOT will catch up eventually. Some DOT officers here understand that your out of hours and will give you a break if it's your first time in VA that your being warned. They will give you the "rules" of what time you need to get moving by in order to avoid a ticket. Others will not, they will ticket you without mercy. Simply put, get off the interstate, plenty of safe places to park off of it.

Where in VA were you?