User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default thinking of career change

Hello all. I am considering a career change. For the last 5 years I have been in the mortgage industry as an L/O.....Things were great for a while. Well, now they suck! I have done some general research on this field and have talked to the wife......I think I / we are ready for the change. Being away 2-3-4 weeks at a time is something that we can deal with for the next 1-2 years while I gain exp. and "pay dues".....WITH the main motivation to be an O/O then on to being an Independent w/in 5 years. The only problem I think I will run in to is this:
I have been paying child support for the last 12 years....I pay it thru the state D.S.S...division. For the last 3-4 years I have been paid by commission which means sometimes I go 1-2 months without a paycheck. But while the market was good, and when I did receive check they were always 3-6K and then I paid everything..(FYI last 12 months I have paid over 7k so not a deadbeat dad....)....Well this caused 4 automatic suspensions on my driving record over a 3 year period.......I have talked to D.S.S. and we think we have corrected the problem but the old suspensions are still there. They are not sure if I can have them expunged or not... So I guess I am asking.....will this prevent me from getting hired by a reputable company?........ANY AND ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME. :?:
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Hello jwk,

Welcome to CAD

I am afraid I cant answer this question for you but you can count on other internet peeps to respond however you might want to check more credible sources to be sure. They will want 10 years work history, at least 3 years residence history, a clean criminal and then looking at your MVR they wont want to see alcohol or drug related offences. But they will be looking at all tickets on your record so hope that is your only blemish.

BOL
TW
Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Rookie

Hey! Thanx for the reply Trukerswyfe.....I can handle the 10 year work history....lol...I will have to think about it for a bit but ok with it!....Residency is no problem and the last time I had a ticket was of course for speeding in 2001....42 in a 35.....Not on my record as of now....My license is valid, Just those dam stupid auto suspensions that we've figured out how to stop.....Hopefully I will ok?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk
Hey! Thanx for the reply Trukerswyfe.....I can handle the 10 year work history....lol...I will have to think about it for a bit but ok with it!....Residency is no problem and the last time I had a ticket was of course for speeding in 2001....42 in a 35.....Not on my record as of now....My license is valid, Just those dam stupid auto suspensions that we've figured out how to stop.....Hopefully I will ok?
Your welcome,

If you do go OTR set your wife up at CAD. I have no problem encouraging others and listening when needed.

As for the 10 year work history,

No holes. if you were unemployed they want to know why. From job to job and inbetween. They just want an explaination, I think it is a DOT requirement or something. I could be wrong on the reason but I have filled out enough of my husband's apps to know all the questions. He just has to sign and pee. :lol:

Happy job hunting and reading.
TW
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Hey jwk. I did appraisals and drove all the time so the change in fields as far as driving never bothered me. The only thing that I don't miss about dealing with the LO's, is trying to explain why the value isn't there at this time in the industry. Take Trukerwyfe's suggestions, your wife and kids need to understand that until you get some time in, you might not be home as much as they like. But I'm sure they have dealt with you working late trying to get loans to go thru and everything ready for closings. I wish you luck if you go this route!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I guess in my long winded note I was wondering if the suspensions from the past would hurt me....
Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk
Thanks for the replies. I guess in my long winded note I was wondering if the suspensions from the past would hurt me....

As I said before... Not sure. and not sure if anyone can really answer this for you. Not alcohol or drug related it can be explained so there is a chance. Take the class pass the tests... You will have a CDL it depends on the companies you choose whether you have a job or not. Seems to me if you want to work there will be a job out there. Frankly there are enough people who don't want to work that it leaves many doors open for those that do.

* I am going to give you a tip... If you want to do this commit to it and dont let anyone tell you NO. Just keep knocking on doors till you get your foot in and when you finally do Dont quit. Work is hard and it is easy to give up. Dont!! Get at least your two years in no matter what. Think about the finish line and nothing else.

Again Good Luck
Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Rookie

thanks Trukrswyfe........The boss (the Mrs.) and I are pretty much agreed it's doable for us......I'll start calling companies / recruiters on Monday. I will need to be in a company paid program so wish me luck....