User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Also I LIVE in my truck, I dont have a house or a family, so just having what I need for my job is also absurd, you try living somewhere where all you have is your work, I dont live to work, I work to live.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM

Matcat, first of all I'm glad you didn't lose your job and all. And I am seeing you're trying hard to defend yourself but whatever happened and whatever you did: you know they'll look at this as a preventable accident, no ifs and/or buts about it.
Because if the fog was a dense as they say it was, 50 mph is still too fast because you DID have someone in front of you doing 35 mph, that's how this whole thing started.
Really I'm not attacking you personally or at least I'm really not trying to, but that's how it works though. That's how DOT and companies'll look at it. I wish you the best though and hope you'll never have anything like this happen to you again.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Rookie

ALLRIGHT MATT !! WAY TO GO. Now, as Willie Nelson would say......................(should i say it?)..............."ON THE ROAD AGAIN"
Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Rear Ender in FOG

[quote="matcat"]This morning I was driving on I64 wb just short of 81, and just as I reached the top of the montain (Going 50mph in DENSE fog), and all of a sudden infront of me, another truck, going 35mph! I was only loaded with about 10,000lbs, and I slammed on the breaks and tried to get over to the left lane (but as a result of breaking my trailer jacked towards the guardrail, preventing me from going left) and I hit the back of the other trailer No real damage to the other trucks trailer, but destroyed my hood, radiator, and fan. I got a following too close ticket, and got towed back to company terminal, already did drug and alcohol test, passed, now just waiting on the company to decide if they will give me a loner from this term, or make me go back to my term to get a loner. But the real question is, what is the ramifications to my CDL with a rear ender, and the ticket???[/quote]

matcat,

Grow up and stop being so defensive. You had a preventable accident and you came here asking about the ramifications of it.

I think 50MPH in DENSE fog is too fast for conditions. You said you could see 3 fog markers, how far is that? Apparently not far enough to be able to stop at 50MPH. Were your flashers on? Did it occur to you that other drivers might not feel safe going 50MPH in dense fog? Beacause that's how a defensive driver thinks and that's how you prevent accidents like this. It isn't the other drivers fault for going too slow, or for having a white trailer. Bottom line YOU WERE AT FAULT. Be mature enough to admit that.

Regardless if you get to keep your job, you have a ticket on your record, there is an insurance claim because of you, and the company who owns the truck you hit and their driver may not be done with you yet. So cut the cocky, immature, know it all attitude and be grateful that you're getting another chance with your company.

As a side note, I was in IT as a Network Engineer for 22 years, and don't understand the need for a webcam in any vehicle I drive. It's just another sign of your immaturity.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member

the point is you WERE driving to fast for the road conditions, the driver you hit going 35 with 4 ways on was driving in a safe manner. if you had been driving safely you would have been going slower. A good rule of thumb for driving in fog is to pick a point that you can actually see the road, you need to be able to stop at that point if you can't your driving too fast.

What if it had been a white motorhome or a minivan with a family in it, right now instead of getting a ride to another truck you'd be looking at 10 to 20 and a lawsuit that would take everything you own.

you are lucky to still have a job. now as to the toy's you have i will side with you on that one as long as you have them on or off at the appropriate time. i love my mp3 player and i like it loud, only at nite on the freeway. our computer in on for days at a time (gps) and yes i use the cell when driving (hands free) BUT when the roads get bad I close the screen and turn everything else off

It is a bad stretch of road when it's foggy but just because there was almost a bunch of accidents behind you when the cop was there just shows a lot of people drive to fast for conditions. You are the professional you're supposed to set a better example.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Default Re: Rear Ender in FOG

[quote="RebelDarlin"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
This morning I was driving on I64 wb just short of 81, and just as I reached the top of the montain (Going 50mph in DENSE fog), and all of a sudden infront of me, another truck, going 35mph! I was only loaded with about 10,000lbs, and I slammed on the breaks and tried to get over to the left lane (but as a result of breaking my trailer jacked towards the guardrail, preventing me from going left) and I hit the back of the other trailer No real damage to the other trucks trailer, but destroyed my hood, radiator, and fan. I got a following too close ticket, and got towed back to company terminal, already did drug and alcohol test, passed, now just waiting on the company to decide if they will give me a loner from this term, or make me go back to my term to get a loner. But the real question is, what is the ramifications to my CDL with a rear ender, and the ticket???[/quote]

matcat,

Grow up and stop being so defensive. You had a preventable accident and you came here asking about the ramifications of it.

I think 50MPH in DENSE fog is too fast for conditions. You said you could see 3 fog markers, how far is that? Apparently not far enough to be able to stop at 50MPH. Were your flashers on? Did it occur to you that other drivers might not feel safe going 50MPH in dense fog? Beacause that's how a defensive driver thinks and that's how you prevent accidents like this. It isn't the other drivers fault for going too slow, or for having a white trailer. Bottom line YOU WERE AT FAULT. Be mature enough to admit that.

Regardless if you get to keep your job, you have a ticket on your record, there is an insurance claim because of you, and the company who owns the truck you hit and their driver may not be done with you yet. So cut the cocky, immature, know it all attitude and be grateful that you're getting another chance with your company.

As a side note, I was in IT as a Network Engineer for 22 years, and don't understand the need for a webcam in any vehicle I drive. It's just another sign of your immaturity.

Reb
ROFL and here I thought I was getting a bit crude on the man LOL :lol: :mrgreen:
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Board Regular

I was taught to use the 2 second rule in 4 wheelers and 4 second rule in 18 wheelers. As you drive, pick a pole on the side of the road or other stationary object, as soon as you see it, count the number of seconds it takes to get to it. If it is less than 4, you will not be able to stop in a truck. Doesn't matter how may fog lights can be seen, they are at road level, pick something at the level you will be see the vehicle in front of you. In dense fog, I use a 6 second rule, I want to be sure I can stop in time!!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
I was taught to use the 2 second rule in 4 wheelers and 4 second rule in 18 wheelers. As you drive, pick a pole on the side of the road or other stationary object, as soon as you see it, count the number of seconds it takes to get to it. If it is less than 4, you will not be able to stop in a truck. Doesn't matter how may fog lights can be seen, they are at road level, pick something at the level you will be see the vehicle in front of you. In dense fog, I use a 6 second rule, I want to be sure I can stop in time!!
Oh they tell us to use the 6 second rule in nromal conditions and double that elsewhere.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM

IMO, I leave the CB on when the conditions get bad, because another driver around you might have some pertinent information that could be the difference between life and death.

I agree 50mph in a dense fog is too fast, you should never drive farther than you can see. In other words never drive faster than you can see ahead. If the other driver was going 35mph with the hazards on it was because that driver was playing it safe.

I believe alot of newbie drivers get too comfortable in their first few years of driving and let their guard down. Always remember Safety.

You are lucky you didn't run over a car going that speed in the fog and kill a whole family.

I know in today's culture everyone has a MP3 player, laptop, and they want to text message people when they are driving but those things should be done stopped at a safe place, and not while the person is driving.

I have a laptop and MP3 player, but I use those when my truck is parked at a safe location where it will not be a distraction to me or anyone else.

I know the youngsters of today want to make the job fun, but it is a big responsibility that is given to you to drive a $150,000 Commercial Vehicle that can weigh up to 80,000lbs. You are doing a job, when you are driving that is your job, leave the fun and games for when you are off-duty or at home.

You are very lucky your employer is willing to give you a second chance, Drive safe and slow down. Don't let other drivers tell you on the CB to speed up or how to drive. Drive your own truck and drive according to the conditions out there. All it takes is one second to be too confident and the next second it could be the end for you and an innocent party.

Don't take anything in this forum personal, just take it as constructive critisism.

Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Oh they tell us to use the 6 second rule in nromal conditions and double that elsewhere.
IMO the 6 second rule is still too close, I use the 8 second rule, of course some Stupid Truckers out their use the 1 second rule. In adverse weather I increase my following distance accordingly.

Better to be safe than sorry.