Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan
I can honestly tell you that I have never drove 11 hours in a day. I drove something like 10.75 once, but most times 8-9 hours is the most I put into line 3. Unless you're pulling a reefer coast to coast there won't be much opportunity for 11 hour driving days (legally) and in the regional driver scenario's that we have today there is hardly ever a need to drive 11. I won't say that you won't see plenty of 14 hour days, I usually do, but driving more than 9 or 10 is a rarity. I will tell you that a straight 900 mile run wipes me out and fortunately I seldom have to do it.

There are a lot of drivers that push driving for 12 and working 16-18 hours per day, but there is absolutely no need to. If someone can't make a living and do it legal or very close to legal, they really need to find another line of work.

Some people talk about how much easier on you and better local gigs are than OTR, but I know just as many "local" guys that break the 14 hour rule on a daily basis as I know OTR guys that do it. Getting home every day can be nice, but when you work 14-15 hours, drive an hour to get home and turn around and do it all over again 7-8 hours later, you look forward to your weekend just as much as an OTR driver. IMO, there are definite pros and cons to both.
Hrm, my loads are on average 1000+ miles each, and I do 2 to 3 of those a week, sometimes if I want to be ontime I dont have any choice but to do 11 hours driving on my 14, although I usually have enough time to do some 'site seeing', but running OTR believe me its not hard to do a lot of 11 hour driving days, its hard to make money if your only spending 8 hours driving a day when you got 1200 miles to do (1200 miles can be done in 2 days, if you only drive 8 hours a day, its going to take you 3.5 days to do it, an extra day and a half you could of done another 900 miles to be getting paid for)
Not to mention the comment "doing 11 hours legally" you can drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period, however remember the driving time that follows the 10 hour break is couting against your next 11 & 14 hour period so it's totally legal to have 13.5 hours of driving in a one day log sheet if you understand it correctly. :lol:
I usually average 1 day a week with 13.5 drive hours in 1 log sheet and my loads tend to be like this: 1000 mile run then a short (100 to 500 mile run) then another 1000 mile run, etc, although the last 2 weeks I've been out west averaging 1500 miles per run Why I absolutely HATE the east coast, get BS loads going 50 to 300 miles on average, taking forever at slow shipper/recievers, heavy traffic, blah I hate the east coast
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat6869

Not to mention the comment "doing 11 hours legally" you can drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period, however remember the driving time that follows the 10 hour break is couting against your next 11 & 14 hour period so it's totally legal to have 13.5 hours of driving in a one day log sheet if you understand it correctly. :lol:
Well, I think anyone that's logged more than a week understands that you can log more than 11 hours of driving in a 24 hour period, but essentially what you are talking about here is two different days. My day generally starts about 10 PM because I drive at night. It might end at 11 AM the next day and start back up at 9 or 10 PM that night so I am using two log pages, but the first shift (or day, or workday however you want to look at it) has to end by Noon. During that shift (or workday) I cannot "legally" drive more than 11 hours, nor do I usually come close to seeing 11 hours. My guess is that most drivers don't see 11 driving hours legally during that shift on a regular basis either.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 PM

[quote="Cat6869
Not to mention the comment "doing 11 hours legally" you can drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period, however remember the driving time that follows the 10 hour break is couting against your next 11 & 14 hour period so it's totally legal to have 13.5 hours of driving in a one day log sheet if you understand it correctly. :lol:[/quote]

This is true. Assuming a 15 min pretrip and post trip, you can turn 13.5 a day. But you fail to mention that you can only do that for 4 staraight days, then one shorter day and you've blown your 70. For a regional runner, this is a good way to maximize paychecks. For anyone who's out more than a week at a time, it will get you into trouble and leave you sitting. Once you've peaked the book, you're only as good as the hours that drop off at midnight. Sooner or later, you'll hit a day with zero hours and you'll be sitting.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

:lol: lot depends on who you are running for. some companies moniter their drivers logs carefully, some don't. also you have several telltales on your truck, such as qualcom transponders, transponders on the trailer. also the prepass unit and don't forget the fuel card. if you pay for fuel with cash and have no transponders or prepass, well, as long as your logbook says you are legal, you might get away with running "outlaw". i know of a dedicated run from s. carolina to los angeles and back each week, 4700 miles weekly. but again i did say outlaw? previous posts were right on tho about 11-13 hrs. then other days 2-3. god bless loose leaf logs.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Some people talk about how much easier on you and better local gigs are than OTR, but I know just as many "local" guys that break the 14 hour rule on a daily basis as I know OTR guys that do it. Getting home every day can be nice, but when you work 14-15 hours, drive an hour to get home and turn around and do it all over again 7-8 hours later, you look forward to your weekend just as much as an OTR driver.
The key is to find a local job that pays overtime. In such case, the employer pays a penalty for working you past 8 or 40 hours of 1.5 X your hourly rate. This provides an incentive for companies to not work you round the clock.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 AM

[quote=Chasing Daylight]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cat6869
Not to mention the comment "doing 11 hours legally" you can drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period, however remember the driving time that follows the 10 hour break is couting against your next 11 & 14 hour period so it's totally legal to have 13.5 hours of driving in a one day log sheet if you understand it correctly. :lol:[/quote

This is true. Assuming a 15 min pretrip and post trip, you can turn 13.5 a day. But you fail to mention that you can only do that for 4 staraight days, then one shorter day and you've blown your 70. For a regional runner, this is a good way to maximize paychecks. For anyone who's out more than a week at a time, it will get you into trouble and leave you sitting. Once you've peaked the book, you're only as good as the hours that drop off at midnight. Sooner or later, you'll hit a day with zero hours and you'll be sitting.
Yes you are right, but I was focusing on the fact a driver "can" legally work more than 14 hours in a day!

It stills seems one is a little confused by the fact they can do it .

The 11 & 14 hour rule is not based on a 24 hour period! It is based on a 14 hour period and if you say "drive 11 straight hours" and take a 10 hour break then it's now a 21 hour period "right?". So you can now reset your 11 & 14 hour period, meaning the time of your day has not changed. However your daily requirements must be met and you must always take in consideration "as stated above" your 60/70 hour rule. However my feeling is if you have freight to run, go with it. If you run out of hours take a 34 (or sit until midnight and get rolling with the hours available) and start all over again

I do agree with what "chasingDaylight" says :lol:
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I picked up a load in Ripley Mississippi on the afternoon of march 19th it did not final in arcadia wi until the 21st at 1000 due to log fudging prior to this load I only rand about 100 miles after deadheading 300 miles to pick it up ,and sat and recovered until about 1600 on the 20th then ran up to the final once I got to st louis MS I threw out current log sheet and showed myself starting from st loois MO ,as this is where I copuld have made it if I did not shut it down at exit 19 at the T/S on I-55 the day before ...Then I got to Mauston WI ,and tossed out that log sheet and now show myself leaving st lois early enough to have made it Mauston WI and having a 10 brk in mauston WI and then I fueled ,and got to Arcadia WI ...Where I got unloaded ,and waited 2 hrs to be assigned a load pickingf up in Eagan MN swapping out in Fruita Colorado ...I ran over to Eagan and it took about 5 hrs to get loaded ,and this customer does not time stamp bills , So I tossed the current log sheet and showed myself sitting in arcadia WI for 10 hrs then dropping/hooking and running 2 hours to eagan MN from Arcadia WI and being loaded and off I went I only drove about 150 miles to Blue earth MN before I shut down ,and took a 10 hr break at 1000 on the 22nd I started my logs in Blue Earth MN ,and when I safely got to Aurora Nebraska I tossed out that log and started my logs from that point showing me getting to Auora NE on the last leg and taking my break there ...Then I ran straight to fruita Colorado running a the log I started in auroa NE and passed all the scales in route sucessfully and when I arrived in Fruita I swapped the loaded for the empty ,and was cleared to run back to Denver to take hometime ...At which point I tossed that log sheet and showed myself running a straight 4 hours from wheatridge colorado to fruita which is about 240 miles ,and i took a 6 hr nap ,and on paper had a 10 hr break , and returned to the T/A in wheatridge CO parked my truck went to bed and got a ride home just few hours ago ...Bending a log book is very easy ...I don't advise it ,and usually only bend it by time averaging ,and nothing else ,however this past week I bent/broke every rule the HOS has to offer to get routed home ,and I don't think I'll do it again as I feel like a worn out gym sock .
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Some people talk about how much easier on you and better local gigs are than OTR, but I know just as many "local" guys that break the 14 hour rule on a daily basis as I know OTR guys that do it. Getting home every day can be nice, but when you work 14-15 hours, drive an hour to get home and turn around and do it all over again 7-8 hours later, you look forward to your weekend just as much as an OTR driver.
The key is to find a local job that pays overtime. In such case, the employer pays a penalty for working you past 8 or 40 hours of 1.5 X your hourly rate. This provides an incentive for companies to not work you round the clock.
I have a job that pays time and a half after 40. It doesn't change a thing with my company. When they are busy, they would work you around they clock if they could. Money is not a factor to them.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Board Member

big jeep, i know how you feel. when i was running strawberries i had to use a very sharp pencil on logbook also. i still have to occasionally just to make a decent paycheck, ie 4400 mile week lol