User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My husband flipped his truck today

My husband has been driving for 9 months for a big trucking company. This morning he called me. He had an accident. He went onto the shoulder, recorrected and flipped his truck on the interstate. Then another semi hit him and smashed his trailer and load everywhere. Thank God no one was hurt, but truck and load are totalled. No one was ticketed. My husband really likes his job and we are worried they will fire him. Other than this, he has a good record, but this sounds major. He is on the side of the road in Alabama waiting for the insurance adjuster. Has anything like this happened to any one out there, and what was the end result? Do you think he'll have a job after this, or be employable?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

He's done in the industry.

Completely.

For probably 3 years, minimum. More like 5, with the seriousness of it. 2 trucks, 2 trailers, and at least 1 load. That's a million dollar mistake. :shock:

Old 02-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I am glad he is OK, that is probably one of the worst calls to get, the worst being someone else calling for him.

Not a trucker nor do I know all the details about your husband's accident, but a friend of mine's husband was in an accident, he was hurt but they still had a job for him when he was released back to work.

He was at fault so that was a blessing for them. So my advice Dont stop praying.

BOL
TW
Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Glad to hear he is OK. I wish you guys good luck in the future!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks and keep replying

I'm praying for the best and prepared for the worst. I'm just glad he's alive and no one was hurt. We live in a very economically depressed area (aren't they all?) and there are no jobs. He used to be in construction, but we all know what happened to that. This is really sad, because he thought he was starting a new career, making good money and had a future. I hope his company gives him another chance, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm praying...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Unfortunately, it's going to be completely on him. He got off on the shoulder (mistake #1), then overcorrected and flipped it (mistake #2). It'll be a DOT chargeable accident and he'll probably get a careless driving ticket on top of that.

His only hope is that the company keeps him, which I just cannot see happening. No other company will take him on with that on his record. Even a small mom and pop outfit is probably going to say "no thanks."

Best of luck. :?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Im glad he is ok.
But like twilight said, hes pretty much done for at least 3 years, at least with the big companies. He might be able to find a job with some smaller unknown company, however they are going to know that they are one of his only options and pay him accourdingly. Which would be almost nothing.
Celedon sometimes will let you on with a rollover if you have more than a year experience and you are absolutely clean everywhere else..meaning no tickets or other negative marks on your MVR from the last 3 years. Swift and USA truck might also let someone on with a rollover if they drive for someone else for 6 months after the accident and stay completely clean. Those are all company standards, however, right now companies are being really picky and while they sometimes will allow rollovers, right now is not the time they would.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Unfortunately, it's going to be completely on him. He got off on the shoulder (mistake #1), then overcorrected and flipped it (mistake #2). It'll be a DOT chargeable accident and he'll probably get a careless driving ticket on top of that.

His only hope is that the company keeps him, which I just cannot see happening. No other company will take him on with that on his record. Even a small mom and pop outfit is probably going to say "no thanks."

Best of luck. :?
she said no one was ticketed, maybe there were other circumstances? anyway, I wouldnt plan on keeping my job is I was him.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog

She said no one was ticketed, maybe there were other circumstances? anyway, I wouldn't plan on keeping my job is I was him.
He hasn't been ticketed YET, but he very well may be after an investigation takes place.

I wish you & your husband well, but as far as a driving career is concerned, he's toast. Roll Overs are right up there with failed drug tests; they are both absolute "Thou shalt not's in the industry.

BOL2BothUvU
Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: My husband flipped his truck today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty3
My husband has been driving for 9 months for a big trucking company. This morning he called me. He had an accident. He went onto the shoulder, recorrected and flipped his truck on the interstate. Then another semi hit him and smashed his trailer and load everywhere. Thank God no one was hurt, but truck and load are totalled. No one was ticketed. My husband really likes his job and we are worried they will fire him. Other than this, he has a good record, but this sounds major. He is on the side of the road in Alabama waiting for the insurance adjuster. Has anything like this happened to any one out there, and what was the end result? Do you think he'll have a job after this, or be employable?
I gotta agree with TF, SheepD, Fre and Useless. Hubby should figure on a new job soon.

As fas as the accident itself goes, his "sin" was trying to bring a moving truck, back onto the road, after dropping a wheel off the pavement. The industry "safety standard" for a situation like that is, STOP the truck, on the shoulder just as it is. That has been in place since I started driving commercially in 1979. Once the truck is stopped, then it can resume forward motion, if traffic is clear, and return to the main portion of the roadway from that full stop position.

Your hubby can most likely look forward to getting a ticket for "speed to fast for conditions" which is automatic for most accidents, and a "failure to control the vehicle" or "improper lane usage" citation as well. You can get a "speed to fast for condition's" citation if you have an accident, and were only traveling at 20 mph.

Don't worry about the other truck getting off scott free either. That driver will most likely receive a ticket with the same "speed to fast for conditions", plus, "following to close", "failure to control vehicle" and "improper lane usage". The first 2 will be because the truck was traveling fast enough and close enough, that he could not slow down or stop, to avoid colliding with your hubby's units. The other charges..for both hubby and the other driver, are revenue generation.

After it's over and done with...come back and tell me if I am wrong with what citations your hubby receives.

I'm glad he was able to come out of the accident in decent enough shape, to be able to inform you himself, about his trouble. Many in the last couple weeks, have not been so lucky.