User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Eye test for physical?

Every time I go in for a dot physical at a company or to renew my green card I almost fail the eye test. My right eye is weak but my left eye corrects the right one so I don't require glasses. I was thinking would it be a good idea to go to an eye doctor, get a note stating the problem and how I don't need glasses so that when I go all the way to orientation next month I don't get turned around and sent home? Would a company recognize an eye test from my eye doctor or would I have to do one a doctor of their choice?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Eye test for physical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
Every time I go in for a dot physical at a company or to renew my green card I almost fail the eye test. My right eye is weak but my left eye corrects the right one so I don't require glasses. I was thinking would it be a good idea to go to an eye doctor, get a note stating the problem and how I don't need glasses so that when I go all the way to orientation next month I don't get turned around and sent home? Would a company recognize an eye test from my eye doctor or would I have to do one a doctor of their choice?
you have to have at least 20/40 in each eye.. almost all companies will require you to take an eye test along with your physical

from the fmcsa website

[Medical Advisory Criteria]

(b)(10) Has distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye without corrective lenses or visual acuity separately corrected to 20/40 (Snellen) or better with corrective lenses, distant binocular acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in both eyes with or without corrective lenses, field of vision of at least 70° in the horizontal meridian in each eye, and the ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber;
Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

would totally depend on if the company you are going too requires a physical through their doctor, or if they will accept your current dot medical card that is valid, that you already have, wouldnt it
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

The vision test is my greatest phobia. At the eye doctor I can see the 20/30 line, when I go to the physical that's another story.

I've tried without success to get the doctor doing the physical to accept an eye doctors vision report several times. If you look on the form there is a place for it

So, If your weak in one eye (to the point where it's worst than 20/40) it's time to get glasses.