User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hello. Some advise please.

First off, hello to all. I have been reading this forum for some time now and most of the forums have been very helpful when some have been rather, disturbing. Anyway here I go and I hope that I do not only get criticized but some helpful advice. I have been a CDL driver for over 15 years. I owned a construction company that was forced out of business. I then made the mistake of driving for the powder blue company from Omaha. What a nightmare. Because I owned my own business no company would verify my driving exp, so I had to start out as a student and do the training program. Stuck with an O/O that didn't want to shower, all he wanted to do was sleep and play on his computer while I did 90% of the driving. He lived in OK and I live in the Buckeye. I never seen my family or home for 3 months. After that was all over I ran Mid west regional then thransfered to dedicated, not a bad gig untill they changed my dispatcher. I was so angry at the industry that I swore I would never be a company driver again. Well I lied to myself. My profession of a Heavy equipment operator is coming to a hault. The company that I work for, one year ago had over 500 employes and now consist of 45, with me being on of them. As we all know the economy has gone to crap and the housing ind, has come to a hault. Driving still has it's hope. Stuff still needs to be moved from point A to B and so on. Thus bringing me to find a job that I have qualifications to do. I need some advice and suggestions. I have hundreds of job offers, but only a few that I would consider. Most are the lease options, some are company positions. Could someone please help me with the pro's and con's of both to help me make my decision. I need to act quickly. Bills are piling up and things are only getting worse. Time for a change and I think that getting back into trucking is my only decision for a stable job.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member

If you do a search here on CAD you will see the over whelming consensus about lease purchase programs, which to put it mildly is not favorable. In short 99.9% of the lease purchase programs offered by companies are not designed to benefit the driver. They are there to benefit the company, and if by some fluke the driver does good with it, then it is a mere accident.

Yes you can find people who have successfully done a lease purchase, but trust me on this. They are in a very small minority. (At the risk of sounding racist...think white resident of Harlem.)

If some day you wish to try your hand at being an O/O then save your money, repair any credit issues you may have, and purchase a truck.

Until then you will be better off working as a company driver. As a company driver with a decent company you will have benefits, an actual paycheck (with out having to pay the truck first), and if you need to walk away you can do so free and clear.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Thank you for responding Ururn. I have been trying just to purchase my truck, but credit issues are preventing that. The lease option does sound high and difficult to maintain while trying to make a pay check, but the compayn night mare I had before has a bitter taste in my mouth. I do have a few offers that don't seem bad though. But you konw how they are. Promise you one thing and then deny even talking to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
If you do a search here on CAD you will see the over whelming consensus about lease purchase programs, which to put it mildly is not favorable. In short 99.9% of the lease purchase programs offered by companies are not designed to benefit the driver. They are there to benefit the company, and if by some fluke the driver does good with it, then it is a mere accident.

Yes you can find people who have successfully done a lease purchase, but trust me on this. They are in a very small minority. (At the risk of sounding racist...think white resident of Harlem.)

If some day you wish to try your hand at being an O/O then save your money, repair any credit issues you may have, and purchase a truck.

Until then you will be better off working as a company driver. As a company driver with a decent company you will have benefits, an actual paycheck (with out having to pay the truck first), and if you need to walk away you can do so free and clear.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you are already having some financial difficulties, then leasing a truck from a carrier will only make your situation worse. Some people look at a lease purchase as a means to solve all their financial woes. Your best bet is to find a company to work for until you can get your credit straightened out and save enough money for a decent down payment. That may not be what you want to hear, but you will be much better off.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Rookie

That is what I was thinking but I guess I needed to be told that too, Thanks GMAN. I guess the company driver position will have to do, until I can save a few more bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If you are already having some financial difficulties, then leasing a truck from a carrier will only make your situation worse. Some people look at a lease purchase as a means to solve all their financial woes. Your best bet is to find a company to work for until you can get your credit straightened out and save enough money for a decent down payment. That may not be what you want to hear, but you will be much better off.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

What are you looking for? Local, hometime, flatbed, van? How much do you need to make? What endorsements do you have? How long since your last driving job?

I might be able to suggest something.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Rookie

Looking to be my own boss but I realize that will have to wait. To explain my situation a little more. Seven months ago I had to take legal custody of my four neice's. Talk about an eye opener. Usually there is 9 months to prepare for a child I had 13 hours. No federal or state funding to help. I need to make somewhere between 650 and 750 a week after tax's minimum, just to keep my head above water. Sure hometime is as important to me as the next person, however certain weekends are mandatory for me and my sponsors, plus I really don't want to be out 12 to 17 days at a time and home 2. As far as my last driving job. Still doing it. Mostly local around the Buckeye but everyday I work I haul Heavy equipment, and building materials. Flat bed, low boy, van, straight and dump. Clean MVR, Last over the road job was 2 years ago w/werner. I had all endorsements until a few months ago I droped the hazmat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
What are you looking for? Local, hometime, flatbed, van? How much do you need to make? What endorsements do you have? How long since your last driving job?

I might be able to suggest something.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member