User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default If you were me in CO wanting a CDL A...

Hello All, ....Looking for advice from experienced truckers.
I live in Boulder CO and I am 30. Been to college. I am a blue collar guy who does not mind getting hands dirty. I don't see anything I would like to do that does not require more college education at the moment.
Been looking into trucking for a while and love traveling.

If you were me, starting new, have no CDL, Love where you live now, would "like" to be home 2 days a week if possible....What would You do?

Go to a CDL school on your own?
Try to get on with CR England (they hire out of CO)?
Sncheider?
Go work in the Oil fields for 2 years while they train you up to a CDL after 2 years in Grand Junction?
Wyoming Oil patches?

Just would Love some experienced advice.
Thanks for your time in advance!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I think I've posted to you before, but I am also a Colorado resident. I sure as hell wouldn't work for England.. and if you call Schneider, they will tell you that they only have part time runs that net 500 miles a week, but still only home once a week. That information is up to date as of Friday, Feburary 8th. From what they tell me, they set you up based upon where you live. Even then, they ship you out to Fontana, CA. The route I chose was to go through United States Truck Driving School. They won't be terribly far from Boulder. If you do go through there, talk to Todd Hurley, the guy will help you out tremendously. As is, when I am done with that three week program, I am going to drive for May. Hopefully you find what's best for you, and I'd be more than happy to talk with you to learn from each other.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Go to the Western Slope for a while, Grand Junction is not a bad place to live in. Lots to do. I lived there back in 82/84 right after Exxon pulled out, and I really enjoyed my time there, I grew up Clear Creek County so in my opinion any place west of I 25 is a good place...

timberwolf
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Before sighning up with CR England do a search here for info, that will tell you all you need to know about them.
As far as loving where you live and wanting to be home 2 days a week, stay there get non CDL job and and enjoy your home. If you get your CDL you can pretty much bet that you'll be OTR for at least 1 yr before most local Co. would even think about picking you up. Think about this real hard before throwing $$ away
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM

HA! Grand Junction is a great place to live if you like places that shut down at nine, and love to be around meth. Avoid living there like the plague...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Rookie
Default ...

Thanks everyone for your time and input! Will do some thinking and research. Cheers!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM

RoadnGun wrote:
HA! Grand Junction is a great place to live if you like places that shut down at nine, and love to be around meth. Avoid living there like the plague...

Oh ya and five points is any better, come on now,
All you have to do is cruise down east Colfax from Kalamath to Peoria and see the whores & the crack dealers selling their wares on a daily basis that has been a part of Denver since the beginning of time. Oh Ya lets talk about coming over the top of genesee on a cold winter day and you can see the layer of smog covering the city yummy I remember the smog alerts... Don't get me wrong now I am a native true and through and I know every corner of the state but you wont convince me that Grand Junction is in any worse shape then Denver is.

Timberwolf