User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Simply getting started

Through a long decision, weighing the pros and cons of the OTR world, I have decided to go ahead with it. From what I figure, going through United States Truck Driving School was my best bet, and I even have a pre-hire from May, as well as Werner. Now the problem is, paying for this school. With bad credit, any willing co-signer also having bad credit, it's putting a cramp on it. I have discovered there is a thing called "WIA" aka Workforce Investment Act. I went to that orientation, and I am due in for a one on one to see if they will grant me the funds to go, but the way they talk, their only concern is to get you a job, regardless of skills. With that said, I am slightly discouraged. I am doing my absolute best trying to stay positive in the whole situation, but I just want to get out there already, and make money. Things sure are tight around here and it's due time. Anyhow, I have looked for a plan 'B' and 'C'. I had Stevens pretty well crammed down my throat, and honestly, the only positives I can think of them (bad as it may be) that they have black trucks (and please don't criticize me on this) and that they run reefer. I've been trying to find a company that will train out of Denver, but like I said, I haven't been having the greatest luck in doing so.

So it basically comes to this. I am hoping that some of you have some insight as to what my plan 'B' and 'C' can be. Thank you in advance for your insights.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Have you tried the usual suspects? ie Schneider, Swift, Prime, Central Refrigerated. They all offer company paid training in return for one year of service. None of those have schools in Denver but Central and Swift have schools in Salt Lake. All the companies will pay for a bus ticket to get you there and a hotel. You will have to pay for food.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Have you tried the usual suspects? ie Schneider, Swift, Prime, Central Refrigerated. They all offer company paid training in return for one year of service. None of those have schools in Denver but Central and Swift have schools in Salt Lake. All the companies will pay for a bus ticket to get you there and a hotel. You will have to pay for food.
Schneider is now 18 months. :lol:
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 PM

I went through Schneider and liked it a lot. Good training and they pay decent while your in training. But I went in 2006. Not sure what all has changed since then. 18 months instead of 12 is all I know. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Rookie

I just signed up with Schneider and this is what I'm told.

The contract is 18 months from date of hire, which is the day you graduate from the Acadamy. After that you train for 3-6 weeks at $300/wk. During this time you go to your home state and get take your CDL test. Then you get your own ride and make make .34 cpm and .36 cpm after 6 months. Very respectable for a new driver IMO.

Here is the catch and I don't think its that bad. You pay $17.50/week for your training for the 18 months. Sni pays "$50/week" toward the balance. You pay +/- $900 for your training. If you stay on for 24 months you recieve a bonus of $1000 making your training free.

I had it narrowed to SNI and Prime to get my training. I chose SNI
Old 02-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Wow! they have changed a lot. not sure if i would go that route now. pay for training and contract? damn. well at least you dont have to pay the 3500 or 4000 in training like you would at a private school. it cost a lot to train you there but still. that was one of the things that attracted me to them. good luck. you going to green bay?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM

i dont know if u want to do this, but i joined the national gaurds in oct 2007, they paid 100% for the schooling. i joined at the age of 39, after being out of the usmc for 20 yrs. i love it, just trying to dodge going to iraq lol. You might want to consider this to your plans maybe planD
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

i got the permit on my own....i would study along with the online pratice test... http://www.roadwars.com/otc/

after i got the permit i took a two week course at a school (one week

yard..one week road). i payed 1600.00 and i was done.(put it on the c/card )

why go to school to sit in a classroom for two weeks........do it on your

own.... and save 1/2 the price !!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

BOL 2 ya....!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1ben
Wow! they have changed a lot. not sure if i would go that route now. pay for training and contract? damn. well at least you dont have to pay the 3500 or 4000 in training like you would at a private school. it cost a lot to train you there but still. that was one of the things that attracted me to them. good luck. you going to green bay?

No Green Bay, I'm going to Carlilse. I heard things have changed from what they were but I weighed my options before chosing and I'm confident I made the choice that was best for me.

I know my opinion doesn't count for much being a noob, but the only advice I can give RunNgun is do your homework and research. Figure out what you want and go the route that best suits your needs.

Good luck!

If you are looking for more info on Schneider go check out Pumpkindriver.com