User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pick your battles (picking a company)

I live in WV, which makes is VERY hard to find a company that will hire me. I usually have to agree to 3 weeks out to get them to hire me. That isn't a HUGE problem because I'm single and childless anyway. And I have one year otr dry van.

So my choices are very limited, and my desires are those of any average trucker I suppose. A decent truck, mileage pay commissurate with experience, etc etc.

I have some other preferences and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being reasonable because I've closed out so many companies. One of the reasons I went to trucking was because I could not find a job I liked in my town (no option to relocation). I kinda had it in my head that a CDL was a meal ticket where I could call at least a couple of the shots. Well, my wants are as follows:

OPTIONAL per-diem (quite a few companies require it and I don't like what I see when I run the numbers)
Limited NE runs
Allowed to disconnect at home time (I have a place for a tractor, the trailer needs to be at a t/s nearby <excepting HV loads>
Not required to chain (I choose when it is safe)
Paper Logs
Layover and Breakdown
Tolls paid or reimbursed
Dry van only

I don't expect to be put up in a rathole hotel or a dorm when I arrive. That tells me what kind of treatment I can expect when I work for them.

I don't expect to work for a company that has 1900 hate threads in trucking forums.

I do expect to get 2200 miles a week (low for some, but I can live on it)

Well, like I said, those are wants, and only a few since I probably forgot some. Now I'm aware some may seem unreasonable, some frivolous. There are a couple things that are NOT negotiable.

I'm pretty stuck on not being required to take per diem.
I will run NE, but I don't want to be there every damn day.
I choose when I'm safe to run.

OK lay it on me. On which ones am I being unreasonable?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Doesn't New Century truckload have a big terminal somewhere in WV. They are a good company.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

BeauteousRot,
What part of WV.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
OPTIONAL per-diem (quite a few companies require it and I don't like what I see when I run the numbers)
And rightly so. If you can avoid Per Diem, avoid it. It's a company ploy used to save the company money. As a driver, you put a couple extra bucks in your pocket at the expense of potentially thousands in social security benefits.

Quote:
Limited NE runs
Depends on where you live. NE freight is the country premium and most major carriers run a lot of it. If you're anywhere near that area, expect to be going there just to set you up for hometime on the way back out.

Quote:
Allowed to disconnect at home time (I have a place for a tractor, the trailer needs to be at a t/s nearby <excepting HV loads>
I'd have to say you're being unreasonable on this one. Most companies require the tractor and trailer to remain together for security purposes.

Quote:
Not required to chain (I choose when it is safe)
Not unreasonable at all.

Quote:
Paper Logs
Most companies still use paper logs, though most companies also use qualcomm.

Quote:
Layover and Breakdown
I don't know of any of the major companies that do NOT have layover and breakdown. But by the same token, most majors don't have a set policy for it, either. The general company thought process is that if you're running late or turning down loads to get you in a situation where you have to sit, don't expect a company to take care of you. If you're on time, taking what you are given, and not causing any issues, a company is going to be more willing to take care of you if you end up sitting for an extended length of time.

Quote:
Tolls paid or reimbursed
Again, most companies should be doing this.

Quote:
Dry van only
That simply limits your search parameters. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I don't expect to work for a company that has 1900 hate threads in trucking forums.
I'm sorry to say that every company on this planet has 1900 hate threads in trucking forums. That's simply the way it is. The angry or disgruntled are venting...the content are too busy working.

Quote:
I do expect to get 2200 miles a week (low for some, but I can live on it)
That's probably a reasonable request. Regional runs, depending on companies will usually average anywhere from 2000 to 2500. OTR will average a bit more.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Rookie

well that is good news, and from a reputable source. I truly was beginning to wonder about the choices I was making.

thanks

about new century, I haven't even given them much of a look. I have one year experience. And the truck I saw on the site is a reefer. No dock delays if I can help it.
(Minimum of 2 years verifiable tractor trailer driving experience in the last 5 years)
Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauteousRot
well that is good news, and from a reputable source. I truly was beginning to wonder about the choices I was making.

thanks

about new century, I haven't even given them much of a look. I have one year experience. And the truck I saw on the site is a reefer. No dock delays if I can help it.
(Minimum of 2 years verifiable tractor trailer driving experience in the last 5 years)
What part of WV do you live in? That would help out a lot. I live just north of Clarksburg and have a choice of 2 companies that are local with amazing hometime. If I go another 30 miles I've got a choice of about 6 other companies.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twlight Flyer
Quote:

And rightly so. If you can avoid Per Diem, avoid it. It's a company ploy used to save the company money. As a driver, you put a couple extra bucks in your pocket at the expense of potentially thousands in social security benefits.
Per Diem is not a ploy nor is it bad for every driver. The typical driver can save on average about $2500 yr in income tax, social security and medicare taxes. If this money is used to be put in as extra in 401K or even a Roth IRA the benefit in Retirment income will be more than if you don't take it.

One should really talk to a tax / financial expert on this issue before deciding what is better for you.

With the current state of social security and the fact that the baby boomers will place a strain on the system the likelyhood of decreased benefits, higher taxes or higher age limits is very likely.

I can't stress it enough that drivers should seek PROFESSIONAL advice on this and not depend on DNN ( Drivers News Network).
Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Rookie

I live in Parkersburg, I'll spare you the details and let you google.

I did check with two tax preparers. One was a lady who I would not let do my taxes at H+R block because she argued that I could only claim 50 percent of the 52 in per diem. To me that showed her ignorance and she was the one who told me I would have been better off with per diem.

I asked the private preparer who did do my taxes... he stated, after looking at my numbers, I was much better off without per diem. I got a 17k deduction just from the 52$ figure. That and my receipts significantly reduced my tax BURDEN. I don't claim to know all the nuances of the system, but I do believe per diem is POOP. And I dont mean to turn this into a tax thread, but I had to explain my position and why I chose it.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I think the only one you're being "unreasonable" about is the 'dry van only' and 'breakdown'.

you just got to be extra selective and a little more 'homework' before getting with a 'garbage' (reefer) hauling outfit.

Good idea to check out the layover policy-- it too can tell you alot about a company. But, I've yet to find one (other than Union) that PAYS good money for breakdown time.

I disagree with TF that you're being 'unreasonable' on the unhooking from the trailer and parking your rig in your drive-way. As long as you have a "written" permission or even a "secure" place to drop your trailer and lock it up(kingpin, glad-hand, enforcer lock on back doors) this isn't unreasonable--
many of us live in nice neighborhoods--without enough room to drag a 53' trailer all the way home with us.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
I disagree with TF that you're being 'unreasonable' on the unhooking from the trailer and parking your rig in your drive-way. As long as you have a "written" permission or even a "secure" place to drop your trailer and lock it up(kingpin, glad-hand, enforcer lock on back doors) this isn't unreasonable-- many of us live in nice neighborhoods--without enough room to drag a 53' trailer all the way home with us.
That's the rub, though. There are precious few companies that will allow it today, so my point was that it was unreasonable to think that she'll find one that will be willing to allow it.