Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I've had my laptop in the truck over 2 years now and it's still running perfect. I use a combination of CoPilot Truck, Microsoft Streets & Trips and Google Maps.
give it time....lol.. get a good stand if you want to keep your laptop.
My laptop is mounted on a custom stand I made for the sleeper of the truck. In the front, I have a 7" touchscreen that I use for the CoPilot.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I have streets and trips on my home computer. And for some reason every time I get directions that take me North it tells me to go to the I 10, then East 50 miles, exit, get back on West and then drive the 50 miles back to where I started and then continue on my way.

I have sent maps and such to Microsoft and they have zero ideas.....
Old 02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: wich gps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
Do y'all prefer a laptop gps or a regular gps device,I like the know the pros and cons,heard a lot of people say the laptop gps are hard to read during the day then others swear by them.
I bought a iway from flying j for $188.00 doesnt have truck route options, but to me it's been well worth the money, if you are detoured onto a truckroute, it automatically adjusts to get you back on track
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 PM

The problem with most of the gps, with the exeption of most of the laptop systems, Is they do not have a way to allow for the height of your vehicle. in my opinion a decent laptop with ms s&t or delorme, would be the best option. you can usually find a decent laptop stand on ebay for 200-300 or if you wanna try one of the others you can find one of them for about 50 bucks.... just my opinion
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogle05
The problem with most of the gps, with the exeption of most of the laptop systems, Is they do not have a way to allow for the height of your vehicle. in my opinion a decent laptop with ms s&t or delorme, would be the best option. you can usually find a decent laptop stand on ebay for 200-300 or if you wanna try one of the others you can find one of them for about 50 bucks.... just my opinion
A lot of people use the height argument against GPS. No program, GPS or Atlas tells you the height of bay doors, cranes, tree and other obsticals you may have to travel under. Do you make it a habit of hitting them? Or do you do like the rest of use and use your Mk. 1 eyeballs and make a judgement call? GPS is a useful tool best used along with your experience and judgement.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM

I use a magellan roadmate 360. It does a great job and its cheap. I am actually a garmin guy but those 360s you get on ebay for around $100.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 AM

A lot of people use the height argument against GPS. No program, GPS or Atlas tells you the height of bay doors, cranes, tree and other obsticals you may have to travel under. Do you make it a habit of hitting them? Or do you do like the rest of use and use your Mk. 1 eyeballs and make a judgement call? GPS is a useful tool best used along with your experience and judgement.[/quote]

I dont think the Height" argument" is a argument since most if not all of the gps systems that attach with a suction cup dont have a height option of the vehicle you are traveling in. I think of that as more of a fact. I have never topped a trailer. Trees on the other hand you have no choice as to rub the branches as a lot of locations of shippers and recievers have been there for years and trees grow. Under what circumstances are you going to regularly drive under bay doors or cranes? and why would these show on a gps? or are you just being a smart a$?? just an observation, next time why dont you just take my opinions as just that and if you dont like it disregard it.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogle05
A lot of people use the height argument against GPS. No program, GPS or Atlas tells you the height of bay doors, cranes, tree and other obsticals you may have to travel under. Do you make it a habit of hitting them? Or do you do like the rest of use and use your Mk. 1 eyeballs and make a judgement call? GPS is a useful tool best used along with your experience and judgement.
I dont think the Height" argument" is a argument since most if not all of the gps systems that attach with a suction cup dont have a height option of the vehicle you are traveling in. I think of that as more of a fact. I have never topped a trailer. Trees on the other hand you have no choice as to rub the branches as a lot of locations of shippers and recievers have been there for years and trees grow. Under what circumstances are you going to regularly drive under bay doors or cranes? and why would these show on a gps? or are you just being a smart a$?? just an observation, next time why dont you just take my opinions as just that and if you dont like it disregard it.[/quote]

Much like you just did mine? I drive under cranes, bay doors regularly if not on a daily basis. Yes, I am a Smartazz. It's even capitalized!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 AM

well i am probably just as big a smarta#$ should of known another dang flatbedder didnt see it b4. now i understand why you would be driving under bay doors and cranes, dang steel mills. now i understand more. but you know what they say about opinions everyones got one and were probably all wrong. oh well have a good day.

one way to tell if a bay door is too short..... just look for the dents
Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I use Copilot Truck - even that, which is marketed directly at trucks, can NOT be trusted in the least. I've had it try to route me across roads with weight restrictions, under low passes, etc.