User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HELP!!!!! (otr bug)

I have a big problem on my hands. I get in these kicks where i want to go OTR. But i have a good local job. I know if i go OTR i will only last about 3 weeks intill i get my 1st check and say screw you. But there is something inside me that is telling me to do it. I can get a job at www.pekramme.com They are OTR and local company. They are also UNION. But there teamster contract sucks. This was 3 years ago but the rate was 38cpm loaded and 32empty. 15/hr paid after 1 hr of sitting to get loaded or un-loaded. this is an Email kramme wrote back to me 3 years ago when i almost went there.

Brandon,
We are strictly food grade so we do not require 23 yrs of age. As long as you are 21 with a CDL A and tanker that is fine. We offer local and over the road work and the over the road can be anywhere from 1 night to a maximum of 5 nights out. All of our drivers receive a minimum of 34 consecutive hours off at home each week. Our local drivers average about $40,000 per year and the over the road drivers earn from the high $40's to the high $50's per year. We have an excellent health plan that is full family coverage and paid for by the company, all you would pay would be co-pays when you go to the doctor. We also make all of the contributions to the pension plan for you. We offer a $2,000 sign on bonus that is paid $1,000 at 6 months and $1,000 at 1 year. I would like you to fill out an application at our Avondale terminal or call us if you need more information at 1-800-257-7048. We take applications M-F 8AM to 4PM and Sat 8A - 10A.
Thank you,
Scott Kramme, Vice President

why shouldnt i do this again??

BTW this kick has lasted about a week now i hope it ends soon. I might be kicking my self in the azz later.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 AM

I see kramme at places when I have to run liquid chocolate loads. That stuff is a pain in the ass and I would imagine you'd be doing a lot of it there. I think they haul a lot of that temperature controlled stuff. I never actually talked to one of their drivers though. Usually takes 1.5hrs to load (if you're not delayed) and 1.5hrs. to unload. Then the receiver might make you scrape the tank. I find that chocolate work to be messy and time consuming. If you want to go food grade try hauling sucrose or corn syrup that stuff is fast. 30 mins to load/unload.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 AM

If your anything like me you wont be happy until you satisfy your curiousity (being a bad decision or not). One of those things, hard saying not knowing. Either way, youll be fine because you made up your mind and did what your heart said. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Would be interesting if a truck full of graham crackers, a truck full of marshmallows, and a truck full of chocolate all collided, maybe mix in a milk yanker for good measure.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

live your dream man,

if its OTR then do it. however if you know it wnt last, then dont screw up the good thing you got going.

i spent 8 years back and forth. finally i realized my dream, and i live t now. i drive a truck when i want and i fulltime RV the rest of the time. I still live on the road, just my own way.

do what feels good.

you knw what you want to do and accomplish, you dont need a bunch of truckers on a internet forum to guide you.

BOL
Old 07-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

If you really think its what you want then when you get to work tomorrow morning, open the door to your truck, stick your head inside, then slam the door repeatedly till the feeling goes away!

BTW, I'm not a real trucker, but I play one on the internet.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

I know exactly what you're going through, Mackman. I started off with a water truck, working for a construction company, then a dairy tanker straight truck. At that point, I wanted to drive one of the tractor-trailers they had, and ended up pulling food tankers regionally. Then I got to thinking that it would be great to do that across the entire country, so I went OTR. Then I thought it would be great to sleep in my own bed at night, and went back to local work. Now I drive a yard spotter, and make only 85 cents/hr less than I did when I ran a heavy haul tractor and lowboy for a road construction outfit. Bizarre how these things work out :lol:
Just one word of advice, if you do take the OTR route - avoid livestock. Seriously, it sucks. I don't know what goes through the heads of these bull haulers who say they absolutely love it.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:42 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Mackman!! Say it ain't so!! You've got to get a grip bro! I can't believe what I am hearing! Hobo around at coolie campgrounds! C'mon. Wake UP! It's a bad dream!

If only CFM were still around to see this.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Mackman's new ride: :lol: :lol:

Seriously? Do whatever feels right for you young man. Go for it if that is what you want to do. You have a whole life ahead of you. Trying new things now, will only help you fine tune in to your own particular specialty.
Gary