User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
BTW, what company did you find that gave you full credit for your LTL experience? I'd like to know, in case my move to our OTR division falls through.
They gave me credit on 4 years of HHG(local) and 2 years(at the time) of local foodservice.
National Freight out of Vineland, NJ. Spent six months on a 100% dedicated account for them. Off every weekend and home two-three times a week(if I chose to be). They started me at the five-seven year rate and did not send me out with a trainer. Just a road test at the account that I was going to drive out of and a one day orientaion on paper work there. If the account would have not closed, I would have stayed :wink:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmilkwagon
This I take exception to. At the present time I drive for a major LTL freight company, (probably the same one you work for), and am having problems making the transition to OTR. They tell me because I'm at home everyday and not sleeping in the truck I have no OTR to show. I do have OTR experience, but that was 8 years ago.
I think they are giving you a line of BS. Typical in that industry...they just want a guy with alot of local skills who can back a truck to work cheap. I know I can go back to my old OTR carrier at any time and keep my seniority...not that I would ever think of doing so unless things really went to hell and I needed work. Even then, I'd drop em' like a hat as soon as I could get back to local work. We've had a couple of guys hire straight-on with Wal-Mart's private fleet from my barn.

Why would you give up LTL for OTR? Makes no sense to me at all. Kind of like trying to sneak into Mexico from the US. But different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Why would you give up LTL for OTR? Makes no sense to me at all. Kind of like trying to sneak into Mexico from the US. But different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Mainly for more money. I worked on the flex board the first year with this company, then the last 2 years I had a bid run. This year they decided to cut 5 bids, so I slipped back down to the flex board. So if I end up sitting at home for 1 or 2 days a week it really kills my paycheck. Each day I end up sitting at home is a 20% loss in wages. That hurts a lot, you know?

Just trying to do what's best for my family and looking at some of the other options I have to provide for them. I really don't want to move back to OTR, but I may have to, you know?