User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any companies that hire w/ recent abandonment

I left a company in a fleece deal because I was always broke. could not afford the fuel to take the truck back. Wasnt trying to screw the company just couldnt afford to pay my bills at home and feed the family. Bills with the truck were always paid though. Are there any companies that will hire someone with a abandonment within the past year. working local at the time just need to be in a truck otr. gotta need for the open road and smell of diesel. does not help when they put in a new truckstop here that i go by almost every day.

Looking for flatbed work
Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Board Regular

Good luck. Let this be a warning for all wannabe lease drivers.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Senior Board Member

a little more info might be helpful:

did you just abandon the equipment out-right?

or, contact them say--hay, the marriage is over- you havent given me enough freight to afford toliet paper to wipe my ass with- authorize some fuel so I can return this truck.

or, did you let them know- you were broke- and leave it 'secured' somewhere-- like any Police Impound lot or a Dealer or something?

technically, it's not abandonment just because you didn't return it to the exact place you picked it up.

so, did you really abandon it--maybe even selling the tires off it? before telling them where it was? or just not relocate/return to their desired location.

technically, you can pull it up in YOUR driveway----call em on the phone and tell them you quit come get the truck---and that's not abandonment. You just need to CYA and get your local sheriff involved-- have a affidavid make out- where he witnesses that the truck was still secured in your possession- the owner notified to come get it-- and you're covered.

Point being there are smart ways to end a JOB and easy/stupid ways to end YOUR CAREER.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will not hire someone who has abandoned his equipment. A good explanation might help, but it will still hurt you. It costs a lot of money for companies to recover their equipment. Some don't care the reason. You may just start knocking on doors. One may open for you. How much experience do you have? If you have several years of successful driving experience with other carriers, it could offset some of the negative feelings of the abandonment. Some will look at the abandonment and ask why you didn't turn in the truck while you did have money to do it. Another thing is whether you explained your situation to the company and tried to work something out with them to return their equipment. Were you under a load when you abandoned the equipment? That can also have an impact on someones decision. In any case, it is an obstacle you will need to over come. If someone doesn't use DAC, then they might give you a shot.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

try PRIME inc
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
try PRIME inc
if he already got screwed on a fleece program, why the hell would he try Prime??
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM

called and told them i didnt have the money to return it. tried to work it out. I didnt have a so called open fuel card, they put advances on it enough to cover the fuel for the trip I was on and that was usually not enough. I was not under a load but the truck was not in a secure location I did check on it everyday though. No i didnt sell off the tires or anything. I have a little over three years experience and have never even quit without a notice. A weird thing about the company was I tried to stay out for a while but they kept telling me we dont have the freight go to the house. I know I cost the company money in recovery fees but when I tell them i dont have the fuel or the money to get any fuel and they tell me they will just come get it.... oh well I am threw with them and just trying to get back on the road. Maybe i will have luck and maybe not. an if prime wanted to give me a job as a COMPANY driver and some miles i would sure take it anything to take care of the twitch. Right now i just guess i feel like an addict going through rehab... had my road and just lost it and now im trying to get my fix
Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

be upfront about it and explain the situation, let them know that you know you were totally in the wrong in doing so , but you did it and you learned from it. i actually abondoned my truck when i very first started driving...i have never had it stand in my way...that i am aware of.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogle05
Are there any companies that will hire someone with a abandonment within the past year?
McDonald's is hiring.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Board Regular
Default JB HUNT

JB Hunt has a group of like 60-drivers. All they do is go pick up abandonments. Apply with them, tell them you are experienced :lol:
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.