User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Employment verification hold ups

I'm a newbie just got his CDL w/hazmat, just starting to apply to trucking companies, but my concern is what if past employers take forever to return calls or do whatever they have to do on their end for verification? Some of the companies I worked for disorganied, understaffed, etc..,

I'm just worried that its not going to be a priority for them no matter how good of an employee I was. Unless the person responding remembers me, then maybe they might be more motivated, but if there is a new person in that position who didn't know me personally then it might fall into the later pile if they are overworked/unmotivated since it really doesnt affect them or the company.

What can I do to help avoid this or speed things up? How labor intensive is it for the H.R. person doing the verification at my former company (what do they have to do on their end?)

The one partcular company would fall into the 3year past employment rule.

Also verifing my current employer, wont they obviously figure out I'm leaving and possibly show me the door a little early?

Thanks again, you guys have been incredible in giving me tips and advice from your wisdom and experience.

By the way - no surprises in my background check. Clean driving, no criminal, etc....
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Gee for a big dumb dog you sure got alot of questions! :lol:

Just let the HR dept do their job. Make sure your phone numbers are current. If they have any questions they'll call you. You might start digging out w2's or paystubs if you still have them.

As for your current employer, you know them better than we do. But you could discuss it with the new employer and let them know your concern.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Employment verification hold ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbDog777
I'm a newbie just got his CDL w/hazmat, just starting to apply to trucking companies, but my concern is what if past employers take forever to return calls or do whatever they have to do on their end for verification? Some of the companies I worked for disorganied, understaffed, etc..,
Theres a time limit that ALL companies are REQUIRED by law to report in.... :wink:
Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Employment verification hold ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbDog777
Theres a time limit that ALL companies are REQUIRED by law to report in.... :wink:
Quoting from: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...772&guidence=Y
Quote:
§391.23 Investigation and Inquiries

Question 1: When a motor carrier receives a request for driver information from another motor carrier about a former or current driver, is it required to supply the requested information?

Guidance: Generally no. See §382.405, however, for requests pertaining to drug and alcohol records.....
The rule §391.23 Investigation and inquiries. requires the motor carrier to make a good faith effort to obtain the required information.

Secondly, These rules ONLY apply to drivers that has a history of employment in a DOT regulated employer during the preceding three years. SEE: Exception. (c)(4).

kc0iv