User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Eating Healthy and Well on the Road??

HI All

It seems that alot of drivers survive by eating at truck stops or Mcdonalds. But, for people that enjoy good and healthy food can that be done on the road? Would these trucking companies allow you to remove the passenger seat so u can replace it with a lil refrigerator instead of using those tiny coolers? hehe :lol:

If you wanted to rinse chicken, fish and veggies before cooking; How would u do it?

How bout the pot and pans. Where would u be able to clean them up after use?

Please no jokes Fellas!!!

Crunch
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Eating Healthy and Well on the Road??

I wondered about taking my passenger seat out. Have been meaning to ask the terminal manager.

Forget pots and pans. I use a lunchbox cooker with disposable aluminum trays. Can cook just about anything in it, plus it is compact. You would be better of rinsing chicken/fish with your own urine rather than taking it into a truckstop bathroom. :lol:

The 40+ Quart Coleman holds more food than I can consume during a 10-day run. Once or twice a week, I go to decent restaurant and have a sit down dinner complete with a couple glasses of wine. I just can't stand to live like a penny-pinching bum while on the road. I put in long days. If a couple dinners a week are going to ruin my financial situation, then I would re-evaluate what I am doing with my life.

Just my opinion. My background is probably a bit different than the typical driver.

My bet is the McDonald munching drivers are the same ones that wake up every morning bitching and complaining. They flip you the bird becuzz they are going a MPH faster and want you to pull off the road to let them by. There are a lot of unhappy campers out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchyknees
HI All

It seems that alot of drivers survive by eating at truck stops or Mcdonalds. But, for people that enjoy good and healthy food can that be done on the road? Would these trucking companies allow you to remove the passenger seat so u can replace it with a lil refrigerator instead of using those tiny coolers? hehe :lol:

If you wanted to rinse chicken, fish and veggies before cooking; How would u do it?

How bout the pot and pans. Where would u be able to clean them up after use?

Please no jokes Fellas!!!

Crunch
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most companies are not going to want you to modify their truck. Those electric coolers work fairly well in the truck. If you have a regular refrigerator in the truck you will likely need to idle most of the time to avoid running the batteries down. Idling costs companies a lot of money. If you are concerned about washing meat and vegetables, you could carry a couple of gallons of water with you in the truck or buy your food at home and wash it before leaving the house. You could also cook some of your food before leaving home, keep it in the electric cooler and warm it either in the truck or a truck stop. When I am on the road, I often keep cereal and make a sandwich in the truck and eat a regular meal with vegetables at a truck stop or restaurant once a day. I always try to eat veggies at least once a day. It is much easier to carry milk, cereal and sandwich meat than a complete meal with you. By eating only one meal a day out of the truck, you cut your road expenses considerably yet still eat healthy. Another thing I do when I am in California or other produce areas where fresh fruit is available is stop and stock up.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Eating healthy on the road is not hard but it takes effort on your part
Resisting temptation for the buffet is probably the hardest after a long day on the road and having zero motivation to actually make something reasonably nutritious
Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Eating off those truck stop buffet's is not that healthy. There are a lot of carbs on them. I usually prefer to have a salad and order off the menu. I think I can eat much healthier.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Board Regular

Banana's are great to bring along. Filling and nutritional. I also bring a lot of the little mixed fruit cups. Probably more sugar than you need but they are tasty and you at least "feel" like you are doing something nutritional :wink:

In addition to electric consumption the 12V fridges are pricey as all get out.

I have never had a problem (summer or winter) with my 12V thermoelectric. They advertise cooling at 40-degrees below ambient. That is probably the limits of the physics related to the technology. Reality will deal something less :wink:

They are lightweight, have only one moving part (fan), and one thermistor (cheap to replace). No real reason to get anything fancier.

On another note. I just picked up some cans of "self heating" coffee. Interested to see how hot it gets and the taste. During the winter, I hate the cold walk into the truck stop for a Morning Jo.

Bon Apetit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Most companies are not going to want you to modify their truck. Those electric coolers work fairly well in the truck. If you have a regular refrigerator in the truck you will likely need to idle most of the time to avoid running the batteries down. Idling costs companies a lot of money. If you are concerned about washing meat and vegetables, you could carry a couple of gallons of water with you in the truck or buy your food at home and wash it before leaving the house. You could also cook some of your food before leaving home, keep it in the electric cooler and warm it either in the truck or a truck stop. When I am on the road, I often keep cereal and make a sandwich in the truck and eat a regular meal with vegetables at a truck stop or restaurant once a day. I always try to eat veggies at least once a day. It is much easier to carry milk, cereal and sandwich meat than a complete meal with you. By eating only one meal a day out of the truck, you cut your road expenses considerably yet still eat healthy. Another thing I do when I am in California or other produce areas where fresh fruit is available is stop and stock up.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Rookie

Coleman stove works for me..Couple gallons of water handy for dishes.I usually stop in at a Super Walmart ,seeing as they have truck parking,and go to town.Steaks corn garlic bread potato and a beer mmm mmm just like home.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:17 PM

Some day, a company or entrepenuer with vision will open a truckstop away from the others with an enormous, policed, clean , well-lit lot, and several health consious restaurants inside a mini mall, and a gym nearby, so drivers can exercise AND eat well. Even have a grocery store, with the essentials that OTR drivers seek to take with them. Fresh produce, fruit, and vegetables. Fresh fish, and lo-carb , lo-fat dishes, that are chilled, and you could heat in your microwave.

How about an adjacent mini-hotel room for about 25.00 a night....with a laundromat. For guys who have to stay a while, or just want out of the sheetmetal for a day, to stretch out, and relax. No lot lizards need apply.

Ive often thought about doing this out in the middle of Nevada, as I could bring fresh goods from here in the valley of Calif every day, wholesale.

The old biscuits-N-gravy and deep fried stuff is ok once in a while, but todays truckstops, by and large, are missing a great market opportunity, of the more health conscious drivers of today of ALL age groups.

Seems to me these stops today, not all , but a lot of them, are ripe for competition.

And if I see it, guarantee you someone else has a year before me (or us) and is working on it. Watch what happens in the next 3 years. I predict change for the better is on the way.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 AM

HI All

Actually I went by a RV dealer today. They have nice size refrigerators there that run on dc so u wouldnt have to idle your engines. The brand on the refrigerators is norcold. They also have modular cabinets there that could be used in trucks. Some of these cabinets also have pumps where 5 and 10 gallon water bottles can be used. All this stuff is small too. Easily modified to fit just about any space.

Truck drivers dont have to live like like Neanderthals unless they want too!! That passenger chair is taken up way to much valuable space. Id even consider paying the company a security deposit to have them take out the chair and store it some place. Just think how much you'd be able to save by cooking your own food. Just the health benefits alone would be worth it. With a lil bit of running water maybe some of you guys might even start brushing your teeth again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member