User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Another good idea is to check out your nearest employment office- sometimes, if you qualify, they can send you thru training at no cost to you.

Now, I have never seen this, so I don't know what is involved. But I have heard of some drivers who have done it. It's worth checking it out.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-13-2008, 04:49 PM

When my husband decided he wanted to try driving we called all the voc. schools in the area. We were quoted quite a range of prices. My husband mentioned to one school he called that he didn't know if he wanted to drive 45 minutes to their school. They said they would offer a discount and they did. They were one of the less expensive schools and then they knocked off $1,000 off the tuition. We were sold. My husband has now been driving for a year and a half.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

try checking into the driveing school in Batavia NY , I think it's PDI and if so Used to be thur Monroe community collage. In Roch. it's $4000. for 4 weeks but I heard the Batavia location was cheaper.
STAY AWAY from the companys that "pay " for your school, you end up being a slave to them for a year or more
Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
Roush I am currently in that school that you went and looked at if you want I will give you my number and we can talk about the school. I like the school alot and all that talk about going to an accredited school that they tell isn;t just a bunch of BS. I all ready have a few offers for jobs and I wont be graduating till April. I do however recommend talking the 10 week over the 7 is you can. I am in the 18 week, but that is to long they teach you stuff realistically you will never need, or could get on the road. The only reason that I took the long one was for financial aid. I also found out about some other ways to get it paid for other than through the school. I am excited that I can actually help someone so if you want I would like to give you a students prospective.
That would be great if you could. I was looking at the 320 hour course even though they where pushing for longer one. If you could like you could call or send me a txt at 716-799-9586 (It's my cell phone but just ask for Tom). I would really like some input on the program since I'm trying to get my parents to pay for it if I can't get the finical aid.
If you still live at home then you are not going to get the financial aid probably. As far as the guy saying to stay away from the companies the pay for your schooling I disagree I would stay away from the ones that pay for it in exchange for a year or so of service but the ones that pay back your out of pocket isn't bad at all. Most anyhow I will give you a call on Monday. I don't know anything about the school in Batavia. Just make sure that it is PTDI certified if it isn't you are just going to have a harder time finding a good job.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
Roush I am currently in that school that you went and looked at if you want I will give you my number and we can talk about the school. I like the school alot and all that talk about going to an accredited school that they tell isn;t just a bunch of BS. I all ready have a few offers for jobs and I wont be graduating till April. I do however recommend talking the 10 week over the 7 is you can. I am in the 18 week, but that is to long they teach you stuff realistically you will never need, or could get on the road. The only reason that I took the long one was for financial aid. I also found out about some other ways to get it paid for other than through the school. I am excited that I can actually help someone so if you want I would like to give you a students prospective.
That would be great if you could. I was looking at the 320 hour course even though they where pushing for longer one. If you could like you could call or send me a txt at 716-799-9586 (It's my cell phone but just ask for Tom). I would really like some input on the program since I'm trying to get my parents to pay for it if I can't get the finical aid.
If you still live at home then you are not going to get the financial aid probably. As far as the guy saying to stay away from the companies the pay for your schooling I disagree I would stay away from the ones that pay for it in exchange for a year or so of service but the ones that pay back your out of pocket isn't bad at all. Most anyhow I will give you a call on Monday. I don't know anything about the school in Batavia. Just make sure that it is PTDI certified if it isn't you are just going to have a harder time finding a good job.
I probably won't but my dad didn't work last year and my mom is on social security disability so I might have a chance.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Yes, check with the employment office for a possible state funded school.
A guy I drive fuel tankers with is married and has 6 kids and was on welfare and the state of california put him through school and now he's making 70k a year.(took him bout 8 years)

Thought it was a great story of someone with really no future turning it around with a little help and is now a productive tax paying american.

Peace Out,
Fuelman 8) 8)
Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Also, you CAN get your CDL for much less, I only paid 1500 dollars here in California. Yes it was pretty much a bare bones school and was hired with a OTR company right away(CRST), so it is possible.

Peace Out,
Fuelman 8) 8)