User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Winter virgin no more

I've been little uneasy about the winter driving until the last 2 days. I got a load of newsprint from Longview Wa. on Monday that delivers to Dallas, Tx. by Saturday and have spent the last 2 days finding out what driving on ice and in high wind are all about. I left La Grande, Or. yesterday morning with sunshine and null wind, but solid ice on I-84 all the way to the Idaho border. I just kept the speed down to 30-45 mph, the jake on low, the second axle engaged and used light but constant brakes when needed. Used the locker on the hills. Good thing I'm heavier than usual, I had good traction. I came over a hill 60 miles into the day and my first obstacle presented it's self rather abruptly. It was a jack-knifed rig at the bottom of a decent downgrade blocking all but right of the fog line. Just barely got down to 25mph when I squeezed past. That got me to keeping my speed at the tops a lot slower. Just never know what's around the bend. I saw another jack knife in Idaho involving a rig pulling doubles that spun out on the ice formed by blowing snow packing on the roadway.

Day 2 started from Ogden, Ut. The climb up to Evanston, Wy. wasn't bad but once up there, ice was everywhere. Almost everybody behaved with a few "my load is more important than someone's life" drivers getting a little impatient driving 20-30 mph faster than the normal traffic. The wind got to be real bad with gust up to 70 mph and a cross wind at that. I almost thought the wind wanted to pull my driver door off a couple times. I had one those speedsters fly by me and 10 mins. later, he was off in the ditch, luckily still sitting upright. I saw another rig that wasn't so lucky. I don't know if the driver was ok or not, but the recovery crew was gonna have fun trying to tow that tractor the way the frame was twisted like a pretzel.

If I learned anything at all the last 2 days, you only have to look at my avatar. It says it all.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Good first winter experience, sounds like you handled it well.

Wish I could say I don't see it often, but there is something everyday. Yesterday 4 in the ditch, today.. just one, but it was one of ours. Someone tried to pass and was blinded, hit our guys trailers at the bridge and put them in a lake.

Totaled the pick up, when the guy got out, our driver proceeded to beat the crap out of him.

heh
Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNorthStar

Wish I could say I don't see it often, but there is something everyday. Yesterday 4 in the ditch, today.. just one, but it was one of ours. Someone tried to pass and was blinded, hit our guys trailers at the bridge and put them in a lake.

Totaled the pick up, when the guy got out, our driver proceeded to beat the crap out of him.

heh
LOL Lady..guess we've both seen our share of that..one of the reasons I absolutely REFUSE to go to Fort Mac, bunch of total IDIOTS on that road! Any wonder it's known as the highway of death! Somebody dies on that road everyday & still they won't slow down! sheesh!!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Winter virgin no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
I've been little uneasy about the winter driving until the last 2 days. I got a load of newsprint from Longview Wa. on Monday that delivers to Dallas, Tx. by Saturday and have spent the last 2 days finding out what driving on ice and in high wind are all about. I left La Grande, Or. yesterday morning with sunshine and null wind, but solid ice on I-84 all the way to the Idaho border. I just kept the speed down to 30-45 mph, the jake on low, the second axle engaged and used light but constant brakes when needed. Used the locker on the hills. Good thing I'm heavier than usual, I had good traction. I came over a hill 60 miles into the day and my first obstacle presented it's self rather abruptly. It was a jack-knifed rig at the bottom of a decent downgrade blocking all but right of the fog line. Just barely got down to 25mph when I squeezed past. That got me to keeping my speed at the tops a lot slower. Just never know what's around the bend. I saw another jack knife in Idaho involving a rig pulling doubles that spun out on the ice formed by blowing snow packing on the roadway.

Day 2 started from Ogden, Ut. The climb up to Evanston, Wy. wasn't bad but once up there, ice was everywhere. Almost everybody behaved with a few "my load is more important than someone's life" drivers getting a little impatient driving 20-30 mph faster than the normal traffic. The wind got to be real bad with gust up to 70 mph and a cross wind at that. I almost thought the wind wanted to pull my driver door off a couple times. I had one those speedsters fly by me and 10 mins. later, he was off in the ditch, luckily still sitting upright. I saw another rig that wasn't so lucky. I don't know if the driver was ok or not, but the recovery crew was gonna have fun trying to tow that tractor the way the frame was twisted like a pretzel.

If I learned anything at all the last 2 days, you only have to look at my avatar. It says it all.
LOL...imagine what it is like, for those drivers whom live and work out of the Evanston area daily!! 27 years ago it wasn't any better either. I chained up to pull the "Sister's" more times than I care to remember.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Ya know. People can tell you everything you need to know about winter driving but until you experience some situations first hand it doesn't become second nature like slowing down before the crest of a hill.

It's like riding a motorcycle. You have to survive the learning experience. Living through something hairy just makes you that much of a better driver.

Good job!!

Now, about the wind being "null". Are you an ex software engineer or what!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
It's like riding a motorcycle. You have to survive the learning experience. Living through something hairy just makes you that much of a better driver.
I've been riding for 11 years (and teaching for 6) and I still learn new stuff all the time. Like the first time I wound up in a two wheel skid on wet pavement. On a 900 lb. bike (bmw k1200lt) Fun, Fun, Fun. I think I had to throw away that pair of underwear.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

heh
Here 'tis....

Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I've been riding for 11 years (and teaching for 6) and I still learn new stuff all the time. Like the first time I wound up in a two wheel skid on wet pavement. On a 900 lb. bike (bmw k1200lt) Fun, Fun, Fun. I think I had to throw away that pair of underwear.
I thought the K1200 had ABS :?
[/img]
Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Board Regular

It does have ABS. I leaned too quickly into a corner. ABS doesn't help with that But I think the traction control on the Honda ST1300 might.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

heh
Here 'tis....
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy Jamolee !!!