User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thanks

I was one of the newbie driver who posted a thread where I was freaking out about backing a trailer into a dock from an angle and then I was freaking out about my major struggles with shifting (especially downshifting). I was so struggling with everything that I even asked in my post about the idea of taking the test in an automatic truck.

Well I got my CDL today and I did it all in a manual (no auto tranny). I took all of your advice and one day it all just clicked in. I swore there was no way I was going to be able to ever get my CDL and I was getting so frustrated with myself. It didn't even seem like a gradual improvement (it was like night and day), just one day it all of a sudden it just clicked, with thanks to everyones tips and advice. Now I have my CDL (or at least I think I do...please don't all of a sudden wake up....please don't all of a sudden wake up....please don't all of a sudden wake up...)

I want to sincerely thank you again, I really don't think I could of done it without everyones help.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:45 PM

good job!! congrats!! :shock:
Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Board Member

It happens that way for a lot of people.

I know when I was in school one day it was a total mess with what I was trying to learn. The next day there is was.

The important thing to learn from all of this is to relax. The more frustrated you get the more you are going to screw yourself up.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I really don't think I was one of the guys that tried to help you because I've had very limited time here for more than a year. I'm not surprised that you did find help and I'm glad everything worked out for you. In the future, you will find that you have good days and bad days. One day, you'll back in without having to pull up once. The very next day, you'll find yourself rolling down the lot surface. With very few exceptions, (and the real truth known) none of us get every dock perfect every time. On those occasions when it doesn't seem to go right, take your time, and don't let anyone rush you. And, the more you do it, the better you'll get at it.

Congrats.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 AM

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Board Icon

BigDumbDog, congratulations!

You've been here a lot longer than me.
Wow... back in '03... wasn't the logo at the top of the page, just a crappy Cabover container hauler for JB Hunt intermodal?

Even Twilight Flyer only had some cheap pajama hero costume. :?
You were all on dial up then too...right?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbDog777
I was one of the newbie driver who posted a thread where I was freaking out about backing a trailer into a dock from an angle and then I was freaking out about my major struggles with shifting (especially downshifting). I was so struggling with everything that I even asked in my post about the idea of taking the test in an automatic truck.

Well I got my CDL today and I did it all in a manual (no auto tranny). I took all of your advice and one day it all just clicked in. I swore there was no way I was going to be able to ever get my CDL and I was getting so frustrated with myself. It didn't even seem like a gradual improvement (it was like night and day), just one day it all of a sudden it just clicked, with thanks to everyones tips and advice. Now I have my CDL (or at least I think I do...please don't all of a sudden wake up....please don't all of a sudden wake up....please don't all of a sudden wake up...)

I want to sincerely thank you again, I really don't think I could of done it without everyones help.
congratulations!!!! there is no finner moment in life than struggling through something and finally achieving what you have set out to do. The people that never have to struggle to accomplish things because they come easily may seem to have the upper hand, but they will never have the same feeling of accomplishment. Good luck out there and remember when it gets tough keep going and soon it will just click again!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbDog777

You did it. Nobody else, just you. You can thank people along the way when you,re up to neck in shite and an ol boy offers to help you out. Learning starts here mate :wink:
Congratulations :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Rookie
Default Hey Superhog

Yeah...lol....the cabover image and dial up was still king. Wireless meant just that : no wire - no service.

Thanks again for everyones help. Yeah and you guys are right. It's a mindset if you think you are going to f*** up, you will. If you relax, don't overthink it, and just drive or back up to the dock or whatever you are doing, you will do much better. Let me say this I'm defenitely not a professional yet (I'm just a newbie who has a CDL) - I'm not going to be winning any trucking rodeos anytime soon, but I defenitely got the basics and foundation down again thanks to you guys who gave me insight, wisdom from experience and advice that totally made the difference.

Hey through all this I defenitely gained much new respect for truckers.

Thanks again. Now to find a company to drive for.