User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Holidays on the road.

I posted this on my blog, but thought it would interesting to see where everyone else spent the holidays.

Except CFM-because we already know that he spent all of them at home. :wink:

As 2007 comes to a end tonight, I find myself sitting at the TA in Effingham, IL. So I thought I would look back at my (almost) first year on the road and where I have spent the the "big" days.

Easter: This was the day I left out for Monaca, PA for PGT orientation. Left Houston and was 65. When I landed in Pittsburgh it was 30 and snowing.

My Birthday: Started out in Ft. Worth, TX and ended it in Fargo, ND. At a Bennigans. By myself. The cool thing was that my gf called the place from Houston and had them give me a BD sundae.

July 4th: This was spent mostly in Lonestar, TX as it was when I switched over to to running dedicated outta there. I ended up spending close to three hours at the yard switching out trucks, another hour and a half at the fuel stop while Monaca figured out how to switch my fuel card, and then another five hours driving home.

Halloween: I was at the TA in Perrysburgh, OH with a locomotive engine on the flat.

Thanksgiving: Started out in Hebron, OH and ate the buffet at the W. Memphis, AR Petro. Had the gf with me that week so it wasn't that bad. Got home the next day.

Christmas: This was spent at home. The other days I didn't really care where I was. But I had to be home for Xmas.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I was at home for this year's holiday season and I would trade it in a second to be out OTR... You can always have your holidays postponed until you get home is how I think of it.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Holidays on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthdriver
I posted this on my blog, but thought it would interesting to see where everyone else spent the holidays.

As 2007 comes to a end tonight, I find myself sitting at the TA in Effingham, IL. So I thought I would look back at my (almost) first year on the road and where I have spent the the "big" days.

Last year I spent New years EVE at the London T/A off I-70 Just outside Colmbus OH...And there's Nothing like playing dodge the drunk driving through the parking lot of the T/A on new Years EVE .
Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

This Thanksgiving I worked out a load to my parents home on Long Island. Delivered day before, stayed till Sunday.
This Christmas, I choose to run, our account was delivering Christmas eve and the day after Christmas, and it was a logistic nightmare to get all the drivers home. He asked for volunteers to run over Christmas (our outbound loads can extend over 1200 miles one way). Myself and another driver left from our DC (Hazleton, Pa), the afternoon of Christmas eve, destined for Minnisota. We ran together to overnight in Perrysburg Oh Petro, then all day Christmas day up to Minnisota. It was actually really nice drive.
New Years, again on the road, delivered Chicago and Rockford, Il area, and am currently in Salsibury MD, to delivery tomorrow AM
I dont have a wife or children, so it really doesnt matter much for me to stay on the road.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
This Thanksgiving I worked out a load to my parents home on Long Island. Delivered day before, stayed till Sunday.
This Christmas, I choose to run, our account was delivering Christmas eve and the day after Christmas, and it was a logistic nightmare to get all the drivers home. He asked for volunteers to run over Christmas (our outbound loads can extend over 1200 miles one way). Myself and another driver left from our DC (Hazleton, Pa), the afternoon of Christmas eve, destined for Minnisota. We ran together to overnight in Perrysburg Oh Petro, then all day Christmas day up to Minnisota. It was actually really nice drive.
New Years, again on the road, delivered Chicago and Rockford, Il area, and am currently in Salsibury MD, to delivery tomorrow AM
I dont have a wife or children, so it really doesnt matter much for me to stay on the road.

You're on the Office-Max account ...correct ?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Default Re: Holidays on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthdriver

Last year I spent New years EVE at the London T/A off I-70 Just outside Colmbus OH...And there's Nothing like playing dodge the drunk driving through the parking lot of the T/A on new Years EVE .
Well I got lucky. I got in around 630pm, had a bite to eat and then spent the rest of the night in the truck watching RAW.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yes....
Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
Yes....

Now wonder why you're content with Werner ...You happen to be on one of few accounts Werner offers that pays well . I don't live in the hiring areas for Sears Or Office-Max , And the only things they offered me in 2.5 years was Dollar General/Family Dollar dedicated (no thanks) and 11 Western at .15CPM DH / 21 Loaded trips 500 miles or more ...11 Western is like working for free . The difference in pay between your Dedicated office-max account ,and a driver on the 48 board is night and day . It's kind of funny when a driver fresh of his trainers truck can walk straight into that account ,and can't even back well yet , But will be making more per mile than a seasoned driver with a couple years driving who is skilled , But will only gross about $700 a week compared to a rookie netting almost $800 wk with no skills or experience , But happened to live in the hiring area for the account ...If Werner paid the rest of their fleet on the 48/Canada or regional non dedicated like they do for office max between the miles pay ,and stop pay they wouldn't be sending so many people out to recover their abandoned trucks .
Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

You make friends on here and you get to spend Thanksgiving attheir parents's houses and play guitar her.

...Or at least I did lol
Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Rather ironic that when I drove OTR, I made it home for The Holy Days & Holidays!!

This year, having been out of trucking for several years now, I wasn't able to break loose for TG, and I came very close to NOT making it home for Christmas !!