User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default companies that hire military ????

first post here, finally figured out how to do it..i am in the michigan natl gaurd, i have weekend duty once a month and two annual trainings, now i no this has to be a detriment towards schooling and hiring with a otr company...at no time would i be out for a month at a time, as the military does not take kindly to missing a drill..after scouring the web sites of various trucking companys, ive only seen one stand out,as to not counting military time as home time, and that is schneider!!!! now would i want to drive for them??? well they wouldnt be my first choice, one of my soldiers drives for or did drive for martin, they whined everytime he had drill , and he actually missed two of them, when he hired on of course they promised the rose garden, to get ya signed on,well they counted military time as home time, and told him that he had more hometime then any other driver out there, total of 76 days in one year, kinda seems like that is a type of discrimination to me....i would opt to pay for my schooling so i wouldnt be owing anybody anything, currently i do drive for a living, expedite in a sprinter van for a large expedite company, i probably make about the same as a otr driver,and am home whenever i want to be since i own the vehicle and its non forced dispatch, however the business is slowing, as with the economy, and i am seriously thinking big trucks,,is there any companys besides the bigg cess pools out there that consider military obligation that you no of??? i would love crete but believe the military gig might be a deterent to them, any help would be appreciated!!! thanks brian
Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Board Regular

You might want to look at Roehl www.goroehl.com they have some sort of military honor program but I'm not sure what it involves.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Board Regular

I am currently in Roehl's veterans program, and I highly recommend it to anyone who qualifies for it.

First of all I want to start by saying that I had a guy who went to school with me is in the air force national guard in Minnisota. not sure how he's working out with that, but from what I've seen the company is good at working out these kinds of things.

Anyone qualifying for it gets free CDL training with NO OBLIGATIONS whatsoever. After that you would be on a set salary for the first two years, which increases every 6 months you are with the company. Part of this is that it is an approved "apprenticeship" program with the VA, meaning in addition to your bi-weekly salary you collect your Montgomery GI bill, if you qualify for it.

I am currently in the program; I went to Roehl's school in Marshfield from September 17th to October 5th of 2007, and for the most part have nothing but good things to say about them.

I've been on my own for almost two months, and they have been great at getting me home on time, and because I'm on salary my paycheck is not dependent on how many miles I run. I haven't averaged it out, but I've been making pretty good miles, as well; so far 8500 this month.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you my phone number and I can answer any questions...

btw...I'm NOT a recruiter, but I have had a great experience with them so far... 8)
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I wish I had actual experience with this issue..but I don't.

What I do know though, there are companies out here, whom will not only allow an Individual to fullfill their "Obligations" with the National Guard, but will pay them the difference in wages, between what they would have earned, if they had been at work, instead of in training.

All companies(transporation or not) are required, by federal and state regulations, to hold a National Guards members job position, when that member has been called to active duty. Many airline pilot's are in the reserves, as are construction workers, bankers, and railroad employees.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Rookie

there web site shows, a no cost schooling to veterans,if selected or if ya qaulify, kinda nice because it supposedly has no strings attached, i would like to thank you all for replying, roehl might be the way to go..its called the honors program, tom i will send ya a pm for your # if its something that i am going to do for sure...even if i paid for there schooling it would be cheaper then the schools that i have found available...ive read on other posts that they dont hire north of 1-94 in michigan and i live north of that, about 30 miles from grand rapids. i guess untill then i will do more lurking on this site, thanks for your time ,input and consideration...brian
Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Rookie

Whats going on there big sarg? I'm in the North Carolina Nat Guard. They paid for my cdl school. I just had to have at 2 more years on my enlistment. I had no idea that the guard paid for it, but the recruiter at the school is a retired MSG and he told me about it. If you can try to get a company that will get you home on the weekends because all the rest will garauntee the world, and you know what they'll give you when you get there. I drive for one of those flatbed company's so i don't miss drill unless I want to. I started out after school in a orange truck and I learned my lesson real fast. so good luck!

sgt mck
Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member

You could always look at a regional carrier that is more receptive to you.

Usually, of course not always, the regional carriers are home more often (weekly) and are more accomidating to special needs like drill time. They are a little more civic minded regarding those things. Also they generally have a more "family" type of atmosphere to them and they also are very competetive with the "big" carriers regarding pay and benefits.

Just like a major purchase, it pays to shop around. Check with your state trucking association and get a listing of carriers if you are not familiar with which ones are in your area, or check for carriers that may not be headquartered in your state, but have primary lanes thru your area. Believe me, after 2 decades of trucking, and 10 of it with regional carriers, it is worth the leg work to check out those smaller outfits.

Good Luck and Happy New Year.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Rookie

thanks everyone for your input...and time....decisions, decisions,decisions, hope ya all have a great day!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Rookie

please note this training looks very good, BUT is only available is you have ETSed in the last 12 months.

for older farts like myself who got out in '01 we do not qualify.

However roadmasters also offers a traing program at select campuses for vets also I have been trying to get more info from them but they seem a little disorganized.

I will keep you posted on my findings there