User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default tarping?

Does anyone know of a link anywhere about proper way to tarp loads and fold tarps.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Tarping

Don't sweat it, companies have their own way they want it done. Wait for the company you go with to train you, you won't bring any misinformation or bad skills. BOL
Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 AM
Board Regular

What is not covered in your training is common sense. Most everywhere I have loaded that needed tarped had another driver there tarping his load in front or behind me, I have never had a driver tell me he didn't have time to give advice on any securement or tarping I was doing, feel fee to ask. When in doubt, ask your loader, they have seen enough tarped to know what to do.

What is also not covered in training though is situations like I had last friday, 19 degree weather, 40 mph winds. FUN FUN FUN!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: tarping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
Does anyone know of a link anywhere about proper way to tarp loads and fold tarps.
there really isn't a "proper" way to do it persay other than what your company will require. The goal to tarping is to protect the load from the elements and help prevent spillage of the load (to an extent) onto the highways.

When I tarp, I look at it as a huge package and just "get-er-dun" :wink:

Sealord is right, don't sweat it.....wait for your company as they all have slight variations as to the way they want it done.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Board Regular

I'd like to add.... From what I was told...the way your cargo is tarped is in part a reflection of you . You want it to look real nice.....Make sure you tarp it right the first time, you don't want a loose tarp blowing anywhere or it'll cause a damage to the tarp. I was told by the company equiptment guy that he'd kill anyone of us that he heard of tarping and then using our straps to secure the load ontop of the tarp.

I always thougt I don't want to mess with this thing on the side of the highway at 4am in the rain/wind.

I have even pulled my vee boards out from under the trailer and bungie them together length wise to span a gap in the load. This made it easier to tarp and bungie. I even had rope that I threw over my tarps for the uneven loads. I'd tie oneside to the rub rail and then bungie the other side. Just remember to pad your corners. Like Sealord and DevilDice wrote above. Just wait till you get with the company.
Also...I took my watch off after the 2-3 time doing it.... and your going to get dirty but I found as I get better at it I don't get as dirty.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Those tarps can sometimes weight 100lbs. or more especially in rainy,ice or snow situations. You will carry two tarps on your trailer. About 95% of the time the forklift operator will pick your tarps up and place them on the trailer after you have rolled them up.

If and when you lift the tarps yourself, be careful because it could really cause back injuries if not properly lifted. If you can invest in a back brace.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL BEAST
Quote:
Those tarps can sometimes weight 100lbs. or more especially in rainy,ice or snow situations. You will carry two tarps on your trailer. About 95% of the time the forklift operator will pick your tarps up and place them on the trailer after you have rolled them up.

If and when you lift the tarps yourself, be careful because it could really cause back injuries if not properly lifted. If you can invest in a back brace.
Back braces are devices made to play tricks on your mind.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Rookie
Default Tarpin

Well I've tarp'd a few LD's well driving this Skateboard around lets say IT"S AN ART if u can tarp a LD w/out havin it bubble anywhere but I will say the more bungee's u use the better it get's after a while u find urself trying to out do the last tarp job you did! :? <--IF that makes sences any1 agree??
Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 AM
Rookie

just remember to start from the back when tarping. back tarp first front tarp second. the tarps i use weight between 150and 180 lbs. i wish for 100lbs. tarps. everybody has there own way of folding tarps. some fold in thirds some fold in half. just take your time when starting the more you tarp the faster you will get. good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Default Re: Tarpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky_
...but I will say the more bungee's u use the better it get's after a while u find urself trying to out do the last tarp job you did! :? <--IF that makes sences any1 agree??
I'll sure agree - and sweeten the pot a little...

It's a mean pride in some o us goodolboys, 'bout that tarped load and what it says about the driver pullin' it.
I don't care if it's a brand spankin' new rig or a Beater, if it goes flyin' by ya with the tarp(s) a'flappin' and rips all in it - you just can't help thinkin' "there goes one sorry feller," and while the reasons a load isn't tarped properly are many.. the vast majority o those reasons can be remedied.
It's getting to the point where I feel the same way about loads going out of a plant untarped or half tarped where you know the BOL states "Must Tarp Load" or it's a Securement Issue load or the weather's lookin' foul or....
Sure, I've had Hot Loads in good weather at short enough distance that I've flown out of somewhere nekkid but... If it's on the BOL or I know the client requires it for whatever reason, I'm gonna rein it in and tarp the sucker.

Back on Topic - Yes, the more bungies the better - but only if they're really performing a needed 'pull' at the right spots. My CO provides bungies but only the 21" ones. I found out real quick that running 15" and 31" made the job Easier, Faster and by far a more professional job of it even tho' I have to buy those myself. It's an investment I make in myself as a professional. Same with the "Veeboards.com" plastic edge protectors I've built up over time and paychecks... They've paid for themselves many times over.

And Hell Yeah, ICKY, every load is a learning experience and I've sure gotten into the habit o "goin' it one better" each time I tarp one up - especially those Gypsy Cart/ Tinker Wagon Lowes loads where that $500 ladder they "spined" on top and straight down the middle may wind up being 'secured' to the load by the tarps n bungies alone....
While I often get "pre-tarped" drop trailers, (jus' draped), if I have any spare time available - (or if they threw a Ripper Tarp over it) - I'll yank that tarp down, roll it up and strap the load FIRST. Then tarp it. There's few things in life, besides ladders, barbed wire n rebar, that'll tear up a tarp worse than throwin' those straps right over it and crankin' down. Sometimes we have to - a "throw n Go". But I hate it. Edge protectors over the tarp and under the strap help only if you have an edge to work with... but I carry Spare Mudflaps bungied down on the catwalk and I've used Those many a time on the more 'rounded' spots.
If it's a pallet o Barbed Wire, you Betcha those spare mudflaps (or even chunks of a damaged mudflap you find everywhere) will be under the strap or the tarp.

It's Work.
Work won't kill ya...

Somebody else said, "think of it as a Package you're delivering", and you're well on your way at least by philosophy.
Me, hell, I'm Santa Clause - it's 10 gears instead o reindeer - and I'm Gift wrappin' this load for all my good little clients out there. OK, whether they're been good or not, LOL ... but never forget this: Attitude Is Everything.
People can't help but SEE you wherever you go.
They can't always see what rags you're wearin' up in that cab, but baby - that trailer load followin' you around back there jus' sticks out like a sore thumb!
What it "says" out there is up to You.
What it says about you is a lot more than you think - no matter whose name's on the door o that cab.

My 2 cents jus' run out - see y'all out there.... :mrgreen: