User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie job opportunities-- Is this possible?

Hello all. I have been reading this forum for a couple of months and appreciate all the info. you have posted here for we newbies and wannabe's. I am thinking about making the leap into trucking and was wondering about finding a job to match my specific needs. If I leap, I will go to training at a community college. I have been entertaining all different types of trucking jobs including otr, dedicated, local, tanker, van, etc. But for reasons I won't go into, I would like to find a job where I could have two regular days off in the middle of the week (say Tues. and Wed.). I know some dedicated routes will allow two set days off and I was thinking about going that way if I could find something like that here in the St. Louis area. Does anybody think it would be possible for a newbie to find such a job? If possible, I wouldn't have any problem with being out on the road for five days. Just need those two days for goal I'm working toward.

If anyone knows of any possible dedicated routes in my area, please let me know. One possibility I need to look into is with Schneider on the Wal-Mart dedicated out of Olney, IL. One poster on Pumpkindriver.com says they work five day work weeks there, while another said it was six. Anyone know which is right? (For some reason, it wouldn't let me post there yesterday). Also, how close to Olney does one have to live to be considered for these jobs? Thanx for reading this longwinded post and thanx for any help or info. you can offer.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Just starting out without any experience,you don't have much to bargain with.You will have to do your time before you can can start telling companies how you want to run.You could get lucky and find a local job matching your needs,but that is all it would be is luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If you want set hours and predictable schedules, then you're in the wrong line of work. 90% of trucking is burn jobs = round the clock shifts + working endless hours for peanuts and/or living out of your work vehicle for no $$$$$.

That being said, living near a larger metro area like St.Louis should open up some more doors for you. But with the economy in the state it's in and so many trucking companies being slow right now, it's not a good time to be looking for that cush local/dedicated job.

Get a degree/trade and make much better money. My brother pulls down near 6 figures working with computer databases. He's got banker's hours, Wednsday afternoons off for golf with his doctor buddies, and a blinged-out Caddy Escalade. Me? I'm the black sheep of the family......