User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is this possible?

Hey all. Can one operate under it's own authority in trucking while using just a dually pick up truck and a regular flatbed trailer with a gooseneck?
I've seen "rigs" like this before. I'm pretty sure you can only haul a maximum weight of about 6-8,000 pounds.

Also, would you need a cdl for this? It wouldn't be over 26,000 pounds GVW. I was told you might need a cdl a license just to rent a 48-53' flatbed. Is this true?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Its not the weight GVW that determines it.. its the Gross Vehicle Weight RATING.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Rookie

What you're referring to is a "hot-shot". I'd suggest you contact one of the Hot Shot companies and chat with them. I'm sure they could answer all of your questions. If you're just starting out, you may want to get with one of these companies and run for them under their authority for a while.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamspeed
Hey all. Can one operate under it's own authority in trucking while using just a dually pick up truck and a regular flatbed trailer with a gooseneck?
I've seen "rigs" like this before. I'm pretty sure you can only haul a maximum weight of about 6-8,000 pounds.

Also, would you need a cdl for this? It wouldn't be over 26,000 pounds GVW. I was told you might need a cdl a license just to rent a 48-53' flatbed. Is this true?
as long as you're not over 26,000 pounds loaded, not pulling triples- yes, you
can operate without a CDL. Are you looking into doing drive-away tow-away, or maybe pulling RV campers, or auto hauling?

Remember to operate under your own authority--you have to actually GET your own Authority and have a DOT number.
You will have to enter scales, and you will have to run a log book.
And have all the permits, and insurance.