User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmann

That's not all.....As an added bonus you get to do it 18-20 hours per day,7 days a week...

I don't work in the fields...never have,never will,but I live up here.....Those guys are maniacs....They don't know when to quit...

I worked In kimball Nebraska at a Hazwaste incinerator ,And pretty much all of the guys working there were from the oild field , and many of them were accustomed to working 18-20 hour days many of these guys had Meth addictions as well ...GO FIGURE ... :wink:
Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson
This is kind of what you will find for immediate employment. I think the pay is about 11-13 an hour.
Make sure you read up on what a frac driver is before you venture to far.

Oil field truck driving positions available for a fast-paced, growing industry in Parachute, Colorado. Looking for a person who can drive a straight truck and/or a tractor trailer. Great benefits and pay.

Skills / Requirements Clean Motor Vehicle Record
Pass Pre-employment physical / drug screen
Additional Note: Blac-Frac Tanks, Inc. strictly enforces No Tolerance for drug and alcohol. Employee must pass all drug/alcohol screens
Reliable attendance
Valid Class A CDL(preferred)
Ability to work as a team player
Positive attitude and strong work ethic (including being a self starter and task orientated)
Ability to work in inclement weather conditions and long hours
Knowledge of general oilfield terminology (preferred)
Knowledge of Hand Signals
General knowledge of DOT rules/regulations
DOT Medical Card Required
As far as the nature of of work goes, it's pretty much the same up here in the oilpatch in Alberta. The biggest difference is pay....truck driving in the patch can get you anything from 25-45 bucks an hour ( plus overtime ), depending on the outfit and the kind of truck you drive. For eg., if you drive a picker truck, 30 bucks is usually the entry-level pay. For the same job, if you possess a journeyman's ticket, 40-45 bucks is very easy to get. Bed trucks and winch trucks' pay very well too.

For vac trucks, it's usually between 20-32 bucks an hour, with outfits like Eveready and Big Eagle. Water trucks pay about 18-25 bucks an hour.

The wage differential between the US and Canada for the same kind of work in the oilpatch is really astounding !!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson
This is kind of what you will find for immediate employment. I think the pay is about 11-13 an hour.
Make sure you read up on what a frac driver is before you venture to far.

Oil field truck driving positions available for a fast-paced, growing industry in Parachute, Colorado. Looking for a person who can drive a straight truck and/or a tractor trailer. Great benefits and pay.

Skills / Requirements Clean Motor Vehicle Record
Pass Pre-employment physical / drug screen
Additional Note: Blac-Frac Tanks, Inc. strictly enforces No Tolerance for drug and alcohol. Employee must pass all drug/alcohol screens
Reliable attendance
Valid Class A CDL(preferred)
Ability to work as a team player
Positive attitude and strong work ethic (including being a self starter and task orientated)
Ability to work in inclement weather conditions and long hours
Knowledge of general oilfield terminology (preferred)
Knowledge of Hand Signals
General knowledge of DOT rules/regulations
DOT Medical Card Required
As far as the nature of of work goes, it's pretty much the same up here in the oilpatch in Alberta. The biggest difference is pay....truck driving in the patch can get you anything from 25-45 bucks an hour ( plus overtime ), depending on the outfit and the kind of truck you drive. For eg., if you drive a picker truck, 30 bucks is usually the entry-level pay. For the same job, if you possess a journeyman's ticket, 40-45 bucks is very easy to get. Bed trucks and winch trucks' pay very well too.

For vac trucks, it's usually between 20-32 bucks an hour, with outfits like Eveready and Big Eagle. Water trucks pay about 18-25 bucks an hour.

The wage differential between the US and Canada for the same kind of work in the oilpatch is really astounding !!
The industry,itself,in conjunction with Garfield/Mesa Counties as well as CDOT are mass randoming the well sites because of the meth heads...As I understand it,they roll up,block the gates,nobody in or out and test everyone.....

**Edit**

I hit the wrong quote tab....This was a response to the post ABOVE this one......Dang it... :shock:
Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Rookie

I am fresh out of school. I have a great work record but no experience driving trucks other than school.

Through school I contacted several companies with tankers and was offered two different positions, one hauling gas to gas stations, the other hauling crude from the field to the refinery.

I am just now going to start and have not actually gone out yet, but I decided on the crude to refinery job working for an independent trucking company.

I cannot speak directly to pay and hours yet I will see how it works out, .31 to .35 cents per mile.

The school should be able to assist in finding companies that would have the type of work you are looking for.

The only advice I can give is proffesional demeanor, good interview, and clean work record. These are as stated by others on this board some of the most important qualities. Also show a desire to be a part of the company.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchyknees
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
I can't speak for the entire US, but only for the area where I live.

Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and Montana all have oilfields that are booming right now. I spent 2 years in North West Wyoming working in and around the oilfield, pulling a 180 barrel tanker. The work wasn't too bad, but the hours were long and sometimes seemed to never end. In the area I worked the companies had apparently never heard of the hours of service regulations, or just didn't care. A slow week was 90 hours, the most I ever did was 150, average would be around 110. The paychecks were sure nice though! I was getting paid $21 an hour, with time and a half after 40. But, working so much with no days off... didn't have much of a chance to enjoy it.

There weren't any 'big' companies that hauled in the oilfield where I was. In the immediate area there were probably 250 trucks, spread out over 20 different companies. None of the companies ever advertised that I saw, but hired pretty much any driver that was looking for a job immediately. Quite a few couldn't handle the hours, the physical part of the job, or the varied working conditions and didn't last long.
Silver

Just how much experience did these companies require? I guess they wouldnt hire someone right out of school.

thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Board Regular

Just out of curiosity what was the name of the company you work for? and what would be a good school in the area that these companies hire from? i would love to work in montana/wyoming area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdragon
I am fresh out of school. I have a great work record but no experience driving trucks other than school.

Through school I contacted several companies with tankers and was offered two different positions, one hauling gas to gas stations, the other hauling crude from the field to the refinery.

I am just now going to start and have not actually gone out yet, but I decided on the crude to refinery job working for an independent trucking company.

I cannot speak directly to pay and hours yet I will see how it works out, .31 to .35 cents per mile.

The school should be able to assist in finding companies that would have the type of work you are looking for.

The only advice I can give is proffesional demeanor, good interview, and clean work record. These are as stated by others on this board some of the most important qualities. Also show a desire to be a part of the company.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccfry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
I can't speak for the entire US, but only for the area where I live.

Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and Montana all have oilfields that are booming right now. I spent 2 years in North West Wyoming working in and around the oilfield, pulling a 180 barrel tanker. The work wasn't too bad, but the hours were long and sometimes seemed to never end. In the area I worked the companies had apparently never heard of the hours of service regulations, or just didn't care. A slow week was 90 hours, the most I ever did was 150, average would be around 110. The paychecks were sure nice though! I was getting paid $21 an hour, with time and a half after 40. But, working so much with no days off... didn't have much of a chance to enjoy it.

There weren't any 'big' companies that hauled in the oilfield where I was. In the immediate area there were probably 250 trucks, spread out over 20 different companies. None of the companies ever advertised that I saw, but hired pretty much any driver that was looking for a job immediately. Quite a few couldn't handle the hours, the physical part of the job, or the varied working conditions and didn't last long.
Silver

Just how much experience did these companies require? I guess they wouldnt hire someone right out of school.

thanks
You guess wrong,in many cases....The turn over is so high and so rapid,the demand for drivers so great,many of these companies will hire you with the ink on your CDL still wet.....As long as you can pass the drug screen.....

They,supposedly,have some DOT special exemption to the HOS rules.....Probably because many of the miles driven,hours worked are technically "off road"....

The opportunity to bank some serious cash exists.....BUT...You're gonna eat,sleep and breathe oil/gas field and liitle to nothing else,for the duration.......Good luck...
Old 12-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccfry
Just out of curiosity what was the name of the company you work for? and what would be a good school in the area that these companies hire from? i would love to work in montana/wyoming area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdragon

Haliburton.....Schlumberger.....Williams Brothers....
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 PM

Haliburton.....Schlumberger.....Williams Brothers....[/quote]

HI Again

Are they so drastic for help I could actually go out to the field and get hired on?? Or is it that old fashion put a suit on and wait in line with everyone else type of interview?

thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Haliburton.....Schlumberger.....Williams Brothers....
HI Again

Are they so drastic for help I could actually go out to the field and get hired on?? Or is it that old fashion put a suit on and wait in line with everyone else type of interview?

thanks[/quote]

Those oilfield service companies are huge corporations. They have a lengthy hiring process.
Figure out where you want to work, then find the local offices for the service companies and call them. It is probably easier than you envision.