User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question for newbies

How do you like your new career so far,is it everything you expected?
Think I'll eventually make the leap myself trying to pay some things off first because I know first year or 2 is kinda tough,I'm making around 50,000/year right now as a millwright.
I'm basically sick of the politics working around a lot of people,I've always been a loner and followed construction jobs for about 8 years around the country.
Feel like truck driving is just my thing,plus I'm 44 years old not getting any younger breaking my back in 110 deg. Texas heat in Aug. is getting kinda old too.

Anyway just wanted to know how y'all are liking your new career so far.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Board Regular

I'm still VERY new at it, but I can honestly say that I feel like I've finally found something my heart can hold on to.
There's a freedom in driving that I've never before known. I see things and places that were only real to me from the television, before!
It's still blowing me away, how they'll pay me insane amounts of money--just for dropping things off!! :shock:
You mention making 50G per year now. As a newbie, you'd take quite a pay cut...but it really does grow, with each year of experience you get under your belt. And it does matter which company you go with, as far as pay scale.
I've chosen a dedicated route, so I can't say much about how national dispatchers work, but "politics" are just as much alive in trucking as anywhere else. The good thing is that if you're willing to drive, arrive on time, and get the job done, you can usually "ignore the ignorant."
If you're a loner, you're probably well suited to the many, many hours you'd spend in solitude as a driver. I've been a "loner" for much of my life, also, but it still gets to me, sometimes. I find myself actually listening to the other drivers' stories at the truck stops!! And enjoying them, immensely! :lol:
If you'd like to get out and see a whole lot of different places ( and weird people at weird hours :wink: ), and you don't have a touch/time/presence-oriented spouse at home, this might be worth a shot for you.
Either way, I hope you didn't mind my long-winded response. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do for the next phase in your journey.
Jewels
Old 12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Default Re: question for newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
How do you like your new career so far,is it everything you expected?
Think I'll eventually make the leap myself trying to pay some things off first because I know first year or 2 is kinda tough,I'm making around 50,000/year right now as a millwright.
I'm basically sick of the politics working around a lot of people,I've always been a loner and followed construction jobs for about 8 years around the country.
Feel like truck driving is just my thing,plus I'm 44 years old not getting any younger breaking my back in 110 deg. Texas heat in Aug. is getting kinda old too.

Anyway just wanted to know how y'all are liking your new career so far.
I just finished my 3rd week of training with a flatbed company. So far, I'm loving every bit of it. There is still a tremendous amount of information for me to learn about trucking and I'm experiencing new things every day.

I mostly enjoy driving into the mountains, small populated towns, big cities. Sometimes the places that you travel to are things that you thought that you would only see on TV. Trucking to me is adventourous and I really do enjoy it so far.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN EVERYTHING THAT YOU DECIDE TO DO!!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 PM

i've been out for about 3 months now. i was a bookkeeper/accountant. couldn't imagine going back. i wanted to drive ever since i was a kid though, somewhere along the line i forgot.

the bad is that i'm a little surprised how some people treat you. whether its your own company/shippers/receivers. the pay is awful your first year too.

the good. well, the good is it is great getting 1500 mile trips through mt. shasta, the columbian river basin, the rockies, vegas, la, phoenix, montana, oregon, the hills of wyoming...ect..ect...love seening the country, love when i get a long trip and love when i don't hear a peep from dispatch. it feels like being an outlaw in a way - getting paid to see the country. well worth it.

hell, give it a try. sounds like you might like it. if it doesn't work out, well you tried it out and then you'll know (got to see the country in the meantime)