User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default failed pretrip again

I cant believe it I failed my pretrip again I passed driving and skills but he said that I did not say that the lights were not cracked. my ohio cdl book does not tell me to say that just that they are working that cost me 4 points I got 63 needed 67 to pass I got the shaft
Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Board Regular

next time. say they're not cracked.
:wink:
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

yep have to tell the examiner what your doing and looking at. If it helps you to pass, make it like a story your telling outloud, from start to finish. and always try to touch what your telling about. especially under the hood areas. and fifth wheel areas. make eye contact with each section.

you will nail it next time.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: failed pretrip again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalman
I cant believe it I failed my pretrip again I passed driving and skills but he said that I did not say that the lights were not cracked. my ohio cdl book does not tell me to say that just that they are working that cost me 4 points I got 63 needed 67 to pass I got the shaft
I don't see how you think you got the shaft. You missed 37 points.

Look at this way. All of the items you are checking are safety items many which can cost you or someone else's life. To be blunt there is no excuse to ever miss a safety item.

I've seen to many "drivers" do a half-a$$ pretrip in my years of driving. There just isn't an excuse. Second thing I see is schools are not teaching proper pre/post trip inspections.

A driver should be able to quote from memory every item on the pre/post inspections. And understand and be able to explain why it is important.

Now off my soap box.

kc0iv
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: failed pretrip again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
I don't see how you think you got the shaft. You missed 37 points.

Look at this way. All of the items you are checking are safety items many which can cost you or someone else's life. To be blunt there is no excuse to ever miss a safety item.

I've seen to many "drivers" do a half-a$$ pretrip in my years of driving. There just isn't an excuse. Second thing I see is schools are not teaching proper pre/post trip inspections.

A driver should be able to quote from memory every item on the pre/post inspections. And understand and be able to explain why it is important.

Now off my soap box.

kc0iv

As harsh as it sounds he has a very valid point. Heck, my cdl school I went to would not pass you on your pre trip unless you got 195 out of 199 items.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

When I went to school we had a saying...."It is not cracked, broken or illegally welded".

We used it for every part on the truck that we inspected. Of course we needed to know what the parts are and name them as we inspected them, but that saying covers about 95% of your pretrip.

The pretrip went something like this: The student had a running commentary going.

Walking up to the truck: Looking for fluid puddles and drips that shoud not be there and checking the overall appearance of the truck to make sure nothing is cracked or broken.

We then went down the driver's side: Listening for air leaks, looking for fluid leaks as we go. Checking to make sure all wiring and hoses are in their proper place and in working order. Checking to make sure the 5th wheel is properly locked around the king pin and it is not cracked, broken or illegally welded. Moving on down the trailer we were checking all parts for the cracked/broken deal. Get to the wheels and tires and it was: Checking to make sure tires are same type and size, no debris between the tandems, the wheels are properly secured and nothing is cracked, broken or illegally welded......

Anyway I think you get the point.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Board Regular

Had a total of seven tests on pretrips. One for each of four sections, two for the whole thing (one timed, one not. 45 minute limit at Maryland MVA) and a second in-cab/air-brake test. You don't get about 100/120 on the whole pre-trip (and perfect on the air-brake), you don't get to take the school's truck to the MVA to test.

Instructor told story of a former student who was a used car salesman. He did his pre-trip in 'sales pitch' format, as it made it easy for him to remember. I suggested to some of my classmates to do it as a 'rap'. Whatever gets you checking stuff and checking it right.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 AM

I was training with millis I went with 1 trainer for a week we did not do 1 pretrip went with 2nd trainer for 4 weeks did not do 1 pretrip. it must not be that big of a deal
Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

"...not cracked, bent, broken, or loose. Properly mounted with no damaged or missing parts..."

Since I got my CDL, I have vowed never to say that phrase again.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 12-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I was training with millis I went with 1 trainer for a week we did not do 1 pretrip went with 2nd trainer for 4 weeks did not do 1 pretrip. it must not be that big of a deal
And then drivers wonder why they have wheels fall off or they end up sitting on the side of the road for hours waiting on a wrecker, or get that deer in the headlight look when a LEO hands them a several thousand dollar fine.