Old 12-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck3507
I have to assume that since your trainer was driving and you were in the bunk, he must have been sleeping while you were driving, or driving after being up allday while you were driving. Either way, NO GOOD!!!
We have run as a team from the beginning. He would sleep as I would drive.
refresh my memory: are you a complete Newbie or are you doing
flatbed training with a flatbed trainer for a short couple weeks.
Either way, I think your Trainer should have known better---you know all trainers arn't equal-----some trainers like at USxpress only have 6months experience themselves. You got to watch out.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I was at the Flying-J in Tulsa oK last october 14th , And While I was doing my Laundry I had an interesting conversation about many things with a man that would make me nervous knowing he was operating a schwin let alone a big truck ....Well this man told me he's been driving for 30 yrs ( um sure) and all you need to safely drive 70-80 MPH on snow / ice is a a clear spot the size the fog line . I gues after driving the Mountains of the Adirondacks and Rockies ever since I got my license when I was 16 I'm just not as skilled yet as he ,because this sounded like a recipe for a roll over and a wrecker ...But this was his advice to on winter driving for ice/ snow from a 30 yr driver to me with only 2.5 years of tractor /trailer ecperience...I guess you can't put length of time for learning common sense . :wink:
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I did like 45 up I55 a few weeks ago and never got passed. If you gotta drive on ice, be slow going. Good thing Teal95KW talked me through it. I'm such a rookie
Old 12-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
I was at the Flying-J in Tulsa oK last october 14th , And While I was doing my Laundry I had an interesting conversation about many things with a man that would make me nervous knowing he was operating a schwin let alone a big truck ....Well this man told me he's been driving for 30 yrs ( um sure) and all you need to safely drive 70-80 MPH on snow / ice is a a clear spot the size the fog line . I gues after driving the Mountains of the Adirondacks and Rockies ever since I got my license when I was 16 I'm just not as skilled yet as he ,because this sounded like a recipe for a roll over and a wrecker ...But this was his advice to on winter driving for ice/ snow from a 30 yr driver to me with only 2.5 years of tractor /trailer ecperience...I guess you can't put length of time for learning common sense . :wink:
yep, and I hate to sometimes sound like a "know-it-all" --I don't and my 15years has been a learning experience--the hard way.
but I do know what you mean. Back when I had like....1yr of experience,
I picked up these load of Mussalman's apple sauce--out of a little town south of Gettysbury, Pa-
got back up to the old Ambest in New Kingstown, Pa to scale 'er out.
And I was way.....way...way.. over weight on my trailer tandems. ( they loaded me to far rear) and I couldn't have enough holes to make 'er legal,

This guy is standing there--trying to impress these girl behind the counter,
and asks ---what seem's to be the problem--little guy( I was 24 at the time)...
I looked at the scale ticket and was pissed off---I'd have to go back to the shipper and have 'em fix it.
He asked......do you got a sliding 5th wheel?
I answered----yeah, sure but that ant gonna fix this( i was something like 2000 pounds over on the trailer(with them all the way back)
and then he said the magic words......

I've been driving for 25years! I know what I'm talking about.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
Might be time to throw irons :P
East coast drivers have no idea how to do that. In nine years I have NEVER drove a truck that carried chains. I wouldn't even know how to us them. :P

Quote:
If there is ice on the road you need to stop and wait for the roads to get clear. You have no control on ice.
Best advise right there.
Snow- I will drive in it but will slow down and be very careful
ICE- I PARK IT!!!!!! The stores can wait for thier delivers. Just tell the customers that all they can order is small pizzas until the ice clears, driver will not risk his(and co-drivers) life for it!

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
yep, and I hate to sometimes sound like a "know-it-all" --I don't and my 15years has been a learning experience--the hard way.
but I do know what you mean. Back when I had like....1yr of experience,
I picked up these load of Mussalman's apple sauce--out of a little town south of Gettysbury, Pa-
got back up to the old Ambest in New Kingstown, Pa to scale 'er out.
And I was way.....way...way.. over weight on my trailer tandems. ( they loaded me to far rear) and I couldn't have enough holes to make 'er legal,

This guy is standing there--trying to impress these girl behind the counter,
and asks ---what seem's to be the problem--little guy( I was 24 at the time)...
I looked at the scale ticket and was pissed off---I'd have to go back to the shipper and have 'em fix it.
He asked......do you got a sliding 5th wheel?
I answered----yeah, sure but that ant gonna fix this( i was something like 2000 pounds over on the trailer(with them all the way back)
and then he said the magic words......

I've been driving for 25years! I know what I'm talking about.
Hey I just picked up from there a week ago, was a mess too! I slid my tandems, went to scale out, and weighed in at 11,000, 33,500, and 33,850, talk about cutting it close :P
Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have to assume that since your trainer was driving and you were in the bunk, he must have been sleeping while you were driving, or driving after being up allday while you were driving. Either way, NO GOOD!!!
Either way, I think your Trainer should have known better---you know all trainers arn't equal-----some trainers like at USxpress only have 6months experience themselves. You got to watch out.
I am a total newbie. My trainer has the title "Master Driver". :roll: He has been with the company since 1989.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am a total newbie. My trainer has the title "Master Driver". :roll: He has been with the company since 1989.
does that company have a safety policy--stating he drives while you sleep & vice-a-versa? if you are sleeping while the truck is moving-are you required to be strapped down to the bed with belts or does your truck use the Net?
I'm surprised he didn't yell for you to come up to the jump seat so you could watch a "master" at work-----"hey, come up here and see this--you don't want to miss this"