User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Old driver: how hard would it be to start over?

I'm a 38 year old male with 7 years OTR experience. Accident-free, DUI-free, drug-free, trouble-free. The catch is, I haven't driven trucks since 1999 when I gave up trucking to make things at home better. Things at home have settled down (she left) and now I am looking to hit the road again.

When I left trucking, as a gesture, I allowed my CDL to expire and didn't renew it (idiotic, I know). Here's my question: Where to start? How does one take the driving test without a truck to drive or a truck to borrow? How would one in my situation be treated by prospective employers? Should I just forget it?

Thanks....
Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Rookie

I did the same thing but I haven't driven since 1986 and I am 48 yrs. old I had to go back to truck driving school in order to get my CDL. You have more driving experience than I did so you might be able to get away with a refresher course which consists of 80 hrs. of training.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:53 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I certainly wouldn't forget it, but with your experience being that old, you would probably have to start somewhere near the bottom as either a trainee or an extended refresher candidate.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Maybe a smaller outfit close to your home will work with you better that some mega-exploitation co. They may let you use their equipment to reacquaint yourself & go do the road-test; And tell their ins. co that you have 7y's behind the wheelio.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Insurance companies will check your MVR to see how long you have had your CDL. Since it has been so many years since you have had your CDL it will be as though you never had one as far as insurance companies are concerned. Unfortunately, it is like starting all over again. My guess is that you may at least have to take a refresher course at a school. If you could get your CDL back, then you may be able to go with one of the training carriers until you can gain some experience. It has gotten to the point where insurance companies pretty much dictate whom we can hire in this business.