User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Driver Questions/Thoughts on First Employer Choice

Have been reading here for about two weeks. I just finished up my schooling at the local community college (where I am currently employed) and go to the MVA a week from today for my test. I'm looking to go OTR for at least six months, and possibly a year. At that point, my current thinking is either O/O or coming back to the college to teach. But who knows how a year OTR will change my thinking, so I'm not married to it.

Between reading the forums and talking to a few recruiters who visited during my class (Swift and US Express, fwiw), I've come to a few conclusions (and please correct me if I'm wrong, that's why I'm posting

Assuming miles are equal, there's not a huge difference in pay with any of the big companies.
Your dispatcher can make/break your experience at a company.
Avoid CR England.
Your choice may as well be based on the color of the trucks.

Now, I hated log books in school, but would like to learn to do them (hopefully without a DOT fine to enforce the lesson). Similar thing with shifting. I do okay (and would probably do better if I haven't been driving a stick shift auto for 18 years). Given these, I'd probably avoid USX and Werner.

I'm divorced (almost, waiting for final paper sometime this month) and my son lives in NE Ohio, while I live in southern maryland (posted my location in profile after reading the sticky Training and/or depots in these areas would be nice, but not mandatory. I've got friends from all four corners of the US, and would like to visit them all.

Between holidays and wrapping up committments, I won't be able to enter training until late Jan./early Feb. That would be right around 45 days from graduation from school. Is this likely to cause any problems? I'll be able to get one of the school trucks and do a little practice here and there most likely.

Pet policy from companies is moot; I'd like to take my cat, but I don't need the distraction. Rider policy is moot for similar reasons. Also, since my kid is only 7.5, he's way younger than anyone I've heard of would allow.

Right now, I'm leaning towards whoever responds to my bulk applications via this site and a few similar ones.

So, please tell me where my thinking is outta line (ha! from reading here, no invitation is necessary). Thanks in advance, and I'll answer any questions that might help clear things up.

(Also, should I post questions about specific cos. here or in the board for asking about companies? There's a bit of overlap between new driver and 'what about this company?')
Old 12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I will tackle a few of your questions:

45 day time lag: Yes this will cause you to loose out on a few opportunities, but there will still be several companies to choose from. Every 30 days between school grad and showing up for orientation at your first company will see a few trucking companies drop off the radar.

Where to ask about companies: This really should be done in the "What about this company forum." To get the most answers be sure to include the name of the company you are asking about, and I would suggest having a separate thread for each company you are wanting to ask about. Also do not forget the search function. Many companies have been discussed in length here and there is a lot of current information available.

Since you have 45 or so days to play with, take you time and research companies that will hire out of your local and go with the one you feel best meets your needs at this time.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for the reply. In some ways, I almost don't have anyone to ask about, and am more looking for suggestions. Would that be appropriate? Sure, less likely to elicit responses. I do have a few thoughts, and will ask when I see where this thread leads.

I didn't see the info about how long out of school on the comparison page on CAD. Is the info not there, or did I skim past it?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

No, the info is not there on time limits out of school. That is something you learn by calling companies and talking to them.

I just ran a quick search for Student in Maryland here on CAD, out of the ones that came up the following would be worth checking out more:

KLLM
Transport America
Maverick (flatbeds)
Schneider

Possibles, but not as good would be

Swift
Central Refrigerated
PGt Trucking

The ones to stay away from:
CR England
Prime
FFE

If you are wanting to run solo after training then scratch CRST off the list.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM

I believe that some of the "big name companies" has flaws just the same as the smaller and private companies. The only thing that you can do is research them and go with your gut feeling.

Are you with the community college that runs out of Dundalk (All-State)?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Board Regular

Nope, I went to a College in Southern Maryland.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Rookie
Default cpm

A few cents per mile can make a significant difference over a years time.
I personaly would try Schneider before Swift.
Most companies want you within 90 days of graduation, some are 30 to 45 days.